Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
I am 66 with ALS, last year I spent most of the summer trying to get a custom 7x57 Mauser, finally got someone else to shoot it & it was a steady 1" rifle. Today I hit the Range with a M 700 & Dakota. I got .5-.75 groups out of the M700 270 but the Dakota was shooting 3". Got another shooter to try the Dakota & he shot 2 sub 1" groups. Looks like I am shaking to hard to use a rifle with a slow lock time.

My Daughter & Son in Law have no interest in my guns so I guess I need to start moving some of my collection.

Last edited by gahuntertom; 02/15/12.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How far are your shots on game?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by gahuntertom
I am 66 with ALS, last year I spent most of the summer trying to get a custom 7x57 Mauser, finally got someone else to shoot it & it was a stedy 1" rifle. Today I hit the Range with a M 700 & Dakota. I got .5-.75 groups out of the M700 270 but the Dakota was shooting 3". Got another shooter to try the Dakota & he shot 2 sub 1" groups. Looks like I am shaking to hard to use a rifle with a slow lock time.

My Saughter & Son in Law have no interest in my guns so I guess I need to start moving some of my collection.

I'll be your son.

Travis

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

My Daughter & Son in Law have no interest in my guns so I guess I need to start moving some of my collection.

Originally Posted by deflave

I'll be your son.

Travis

Well I would be Travis' HALF brother. grin grin on your side.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Sorry about your illness.

Have a great friend recently diagnosed with ALS.

Hs also has a few guns and can no longer enjoy them.
Fortunately his kids are gun loony types.

IC B2

mjc Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
gahuntertom I lost a family member to ALS several years ago. I am sorry to read about your illness. I am glad that you have good friends to take you shooting. You will be in my family's prayers.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
What is ALS?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis - AKA Lou Gehrig's Disease

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Keep shooting! very sorry to hear about your illness. You are in my prayers!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I am 66 with ALS, last year I spent most of the summer trying to get a custom 7x57 Mauser, finally got someone else to shoot it & it was a steady 1" rifle. Today I hit the Range with a M 700 & Dakota. I got .5-.75 groups out of the M700 270 but the Dakota was shooting 3". Got another shooter to try the Dakota & he shot 2 sub 1" groups. Looks like I am shaking to hard to use a rifle with a slow lock time.

Prayers sent up just now on your behalf sir. Hang in there. Remember if your still able to shoot a 3" group your hitting within 1 1/2" of your aiming point. Enjoy as much as you can as long as you can. That's my plan. Keep the Faith.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry to hear about your problem, I was in the hospital last month myself, I had to go twice. I am on the med but I do have a problem that will be with me for the rest of my life. As for your shooting, you are plenty accurate for most all the real big game hunting we do here in America and the rest of the world for that matter. Hunt till you can't anymore its that simple, Keep the rifles you really like even if its a 3 inch gun, that is plenty accurate, sell the others. Or make a gift or two to some deserving soul.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Tom,
if that 270 was the one i sold you your doing fine as I dont have ALS and that is about all i could do with it.
as long as your having fun is all that matters

gene

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Prayers on the way for your health.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by gene270
Tom,
if that 270 was the one i sold you your doing fine as I dont have ALS and that is about all i could do with it.
as long as your having fun is all that matters

gene

It was the rifle I bought from you and I am really happy with it, it is more accurate than my Jarette or Lewis rifles.. You were correct it is bouncing cases off the scope, no big deal.. did you do anything to try & fix it? I have to go over to my gunsmith this week & I am torn with letting him work on it or just leave it alone.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Prayers on the way for your health.

As for 3" groups, back when I was younger that was a good deer gun! Hope you keep on hunting as long as possible!

Ted
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G

Thank everyone for your nice comments. I was just trying to point out that if you are getting older & shake it's a good idea to use a rifle with a fast lock time. Anyway it gave an excuse to take some gun pictures & post them.

The top rifle is a VanPatten 7x57 barreled action that was restocked by my gunsmith in a Brown Precision stock. I think the original action was off a FN/SAKO action because it has Sako bottom metal, it has a Browning trigger that has been converted to 3 positions. The barrel is a 1:9 twist #2 Douglas.

The next rifle is the the 270 that I bought from Gene. M700 action smithed by Bob Green, Hart #2 barrel, Pacific Research Stock. The most accurate hunting rifle I own.

The 3rd is a 2nd year Dakota 7 Rem Mag that I bought from my Doctor. He carried it to Africa and the wood is near 99%. The barel has a silver dollar size spot where the bluing was rubbed off in the safari rack

The bottom is a stock Remington M7MS. It was next to the door so I put it in the picture.

Again thank everyone for your kind remarks.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Tom I like your rifles, particularly that Mauser in the Brown stock... wink

Good for you that you are still shooting despite the illness.

Could it be the recoil of the Dakota 7 mag may be the reason for the groups with that rifle? I not you shoot the other rifles well,and that may be the only difference..One of the greatthings about 270's and 7x57's is the mangeabble recoil of both.

Good luck to you and stay with it! smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nice looking guns. Sorry to hear about your illness. Will pray for you. Hang in there.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

158 members (Angus55, 160user, 257 roberts, AnthonyB, alwaysoutdoors, 35, 18 invisible), 1,530 guests, and 922 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,209
Posts18,503,894
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.