Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I realize that a lot of land in the midwest and such is very well laid out, lots of farmed food, etc. but where I live in the southeast it's thick scrubby new growth and dense forest. Food can be hit or miss and the agriculture is nonexistent. Therefore, we have to work deer land with food plots, mineral sites, feeders, etc. to have a good season the next fall.

If you work your deer land, what's the one thing that you would say that is the biggest benefit to your deer and your success next fall???

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Scouting.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Maverick940
Scouting.

I would wager that 70% of folks from this site could scout the lands I deer hunt and would say, "I wouldn't waste my time hanging a stand anywhere in here."

LOL... Just saying... It's land, but it's not remotely paradise.

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Scouting...and find places where you can see.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dawn2Dusk
Scouting.

I would wager that 70% of folks from this site could scout the lands I deer hunt and would say, "I wouldn't waste my time hanging a stand anywhere in here."

LOL... Just saying... It's land, but it's not remotely paradise.

Nevertheless ......

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
OK, aside "Scouting", what Improvements do you do to your land that seem to bring about the most benefits for your next fall's hunting season?

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Clear some lanes, and set up the logs and slash as an artificial barrier.

Sure the deer can get through it, or even hide in it if they wanted, but they aren't stupid and would just assume avoid a hassle if possible.

Set the stuff up to divert them to a pinch point.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If you work your deer land, what's the one thing that you would say that is the biggest benefit to your deer and your success next fall???

Rain.

Unfortunately, it is quite out of our control.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Select improvement of NATIVE habitat.
But I do keep planting soft mast trees like there's no tomorrow. blush

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU
Select improvement of NATIVE habitat.
But I do keep planting soft mast trees like there's no tomorrow. blush

When the timber companies NUKED our land, I lost years of planting and fertilizing.

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I plant the biggest plots that I can,we have one area where we have one half mile of pipeline right of way. I limed and planted the whole thing except for a short landline buffer on each side.

That gives me a 800 yard long food plot-shooting lane. Which I always plant in wheat,oats,crimson,and ladino clover(this year we switched to Durano clover).

I also built a good permanent stand in the middle of this area so my maximum shot distance is 400 yards,with a good shooting rest. The clover provides food in spring and summer.

This kind of stand beats nearly anything else in thick country for hunting mature bucks. They will cross the openings,especially during the rut.

I also create mineral licks using a mixture of trace minerals and tricalcium phosphate. They really like this stuff and you can get lots of pictures over it when bucks are in velvet.

When I fertilize the food plot,I make sure and put plenty of fertilizer into the woods on the edge on the plot,this makes natural browse sweeter,and helps mast producers too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Scouting.
don't think too much in to it

To play the game, you first gotta have game. - Ike Turner

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Seminole39
Scouting.
do think too much in to it

Can you translate that into English, please?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
D2D,

Controlled burns are good, maybe one of the best, but expensive.

We mostly just put in plots to get game to the spring green up. They usually leave the plots alone after green up. Feeders are good for keeping them around, although I personally don't feel it aids their health much unless you can force them to eat it such as the high fence ranches. We feed to keep game on our properties and take pictures, but have the best luck killing mature deer well away from feed.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Scouting.
do think too much in to it

Can you translate that into English, please?

The last 5 bucks(deer) I've shot weren't scouted. Saw them each one time.

100% total luck and very exciting. Shot one antelope buck 2 years ago that I knew about pre-hunt, that is actually the only critter I scouted in my entire life. At least not counting vermin.

As far as farm land, whitetail deer love alfalfa fields.

Last edited by SamOlson; 02/15/12.
30 acres native grass, 108 acres woods, 2 ponds and 7 acres in 3 food plots. Over the years I've planted sorghum, milo, wheat, turnips, oats, and some combination mixes from the conservation dept. I've had the best results from wheat and turnips.

I've got stands around the food plots and in the woods over looking some trails but I try and leave the bedding and thickest areas alone.

For me and my area I've killed some nice ones but you don't have to go too far to see some nicer ones.

I'm happy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well in years past, on my property in CT, I depended on my neighbors to push deer to me and boy did they ever. But most all of them have stopped hunting do to age or other reasons. What I have done was some selective logging, I got a lot of deer hanging around a lot now. I did it six years ago. Right now I have a logger and Forester marking all the junk trees and the sick ones. That should over the next few years to produce good acorn crops. I am also going to lay down some mineral licks. and I an thinking about putting up to 5 acres into a food plot. I am thinking alfalfa. I was out this morning walking around, lots of deer around. So my pre season scouting it telling me that the deer are doing well this winter, 2012 should be a good year.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
OK, aside "Scouting", what Improvements do you do to your land that seem to bring about the most benefits for your next fall's hunting season?

Okay, in that term, I hunt it and kill animals within it and thus, it's improved. Other than that, I don't artificially tamper with any of the ecosystems I hunt, whether they're Sonoran desert or sub-arctic wilderness or anything in between.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't artificially tamper with any of the ecosystems I hunt
there's your first mistake

To play the game, you first gotta have game. - Ike Turner

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't artificially tamper with any of the ecosystems I hunt
there's your first mistake

At almost 100% opportunity rate, no mistakes were made in that sense.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 56 invisible), 3,388 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,740
Posts18,535,365
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.