CLICK HERE for NIKON PROSTAFF 7i LASER RANGEFINDER!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#6181701 - 02/16/12 Re: Crooked Stirrups [Re: saddlesore]
mtrancher Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Eastern Montana
I certainly understand. But knowing a little about your age, length of legs, and having a round-barreled horse or two I'd suggest looking into it. I know of a situation locally where the guy did die though he hung up in his lariat, not his stirrup. As much as I like Crooked Stirrups I am not presently using them on my newest Charley Snell saddle. It came with 5" Monels and I like them so well I can't change. The Crooked Stirrups are all 3" the last time I checked. They need more models including a breakaway stirrup.

RV 728 BP
#6182027 - 02/16/12 Re: Crooked Stirrups [Re: mtrancher]
saddlesore Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
Am I correct? The inside of the stirrup closest to the horse needs to be higher than the outside.

Go to the Crooked Stirrup website and all they will say is that no other stirrups work as good as thiers ( of course).

I have done quite a few miles in ox bow stirrups and they were worse yet than flat bottomed ones.I know a lot of cowboys and buckaroos use them ,but think it might be more traditional rather than function.

#6183108 - 02/16/12 Re: Crooked Stirrups [Re: saddlesore]
ironbender Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: In the shadow of the Kenai Mtn...
Vince-
I think oxbows could approximate crookeds by setting one's foot toward the inside of the curve. Setting to the outside would compound the discomfort of regular stirrups.

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.

#6183495 - 02/16/12 Re: Crooked Stirrups [Re: ironbender]
mtrancher Offline
Campfire Regular

No, I don't think oxbows can approximate the affect. And most of us are not used to having our heel jammed against the stirrups as you need to do with oxbows. Oxbows are fine for 18-year-olds riding colts, but if you're over 40, or in my case, pushing 60, you need a better base for your foot and better weight distribution. Along these lines, I've quit wearing boots with leather soles. Too slick and too hard. I have a new pair of 16" Hondos with leather soles but the local cobbler put on a rubber overlay for only $20. Y'all are invited any time to stop by, ride my Charley Snell saddle and try my Crooked Stirrups. The wife would probably even make a pie and invite you in for coffee.

#6183641 - 02/16/12 Re: Crooked Stirrups [Re: mtrancher]
Robster Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Central NY
I tried oxbows once, and my feet hurt and I couldn't wait to get them off

#6187780 - 02/17/12 Re: Crooked Stirrups [Re: Robster]
RichardAustin Offline
Campfire Guide

i only ride oxbows. the solution is to quit putting weight into your stirrups and ride off your seat.

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.

#6187902 - 02/17/12 Re: Crooked Stirrups [Re: RichardAustin]
ironbender Offline
Campfire Oracle

I can't agree with that. Where/how I ride there is no way to ride sitting in a rocking chair. smile If you have no weight in your stirrups, you will lose your seat.

#6188296 - 02/17/12 Re: Crooked Stirrups [Re: ironbender]
saddlesore Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

If you ride off your seat, you are using the saddle as a chair, not what it is intended for. One jump side ways, spin or whatever,and you come out of the saddle. With equal,balanced weight in the stirrups, not only do you cushion your ride,but any unexpected movement of the equine can be countered quite easily.

Sitting in the saddle leads to cincha galls and sore backs on equines.When you ride a horse or mule,you should be part of a team and help your partner out when possible. When you just sit in the saddle you are just a passenger.

I won't even get into what happens when you have to take a dally when hooked onto some rough stock.

Edited by saddlesore (02/17/12)

#6188352 - 02/18/12 Re: Crooked Stirrups [Re: saddlesore]
ironbender Offline
Campfire Oracle

Well put, Vince!
That's what I was trying to say.

#6189025 - 02/18/12 Re: Crooked Stirrups [Re: saddlesore]
RichardAustin Offline
Campfire Guide

Theres no reason to have weight in your stirrups unless you're lappin and tappin. The reason so many people cant ride is because of flat bottom stirrups. The best way to help a horse is get out of his way. Being able to sit a horse is one of the best ways to stay out of his way.

#6189056 - 02/18/12 Re: Crooked Stirrups [Re: RichardAustin]
RichardAustin Offline
Campfire Guide

One of the greastest cowboys to ever throw a leg over a horse. no weight in his stirrups.

#6189097 - 02/18/12 Re: Crooked Stirrups [Re: RichardAustin]
RichardAustin Offline
Campfire Guide

#6190144 - 02/18/12 Re: Crooked Stirrups [Re: RichardAustin]
saddlesore Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

I never figured the horn was a handle like cutters and barrel racers use it for. Take that horn off and see how long he sits in the saddle.

What do you do when your hands are busy with other things rather than holding onto the horn?

I invite anyone to come ride one of my young mules and stay aboard when it spins that 180 in half a second when holding onto a horn.

Edited by saddlesore (02/18/12)

#6190637 - 02/18/12 Re: Crooked Stirrups [Re: saddlesore]
mtrancher Offline
Campfire Regular

Or not use your stirrups while posting a trot for 20 miles through my badlands.

BTW, if you look at the old cutting photos from the 50s and 60s holding onto the horn was not allowed. I bet even Buster had a little weight in his stirrups then.

Edited by mtrancher (02/18/12)

#6191045 - 02/18/12 Re: Crooked Stirrups [Re: mtrancher]
Dan_H Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Ak
Wonder how that aluminum is when it gets wet? Looks they have a size for the xtra tuf cowboy boots that are popular up here.

#6191118 - 02/18/12 Re: Crooked Stirrups [Re: saddlesore]
RichardAustin Offline
Campfire Guide

The only reason he's holding the horn is too keep from using his hands. to suggest Buster couldn't sit a horse without holding the horn just reminds me how silly i was to enter a conversation about the merits of flat bottom stirrups; my mistake. if you want to look like you're having a seizure by riding with weight in your stirrups, by all means carry on. i guess if you cant ride off your seat you can always stand in your stirrups.

#6191141 - 02/18/12 Re: Crooked Stirrups [Re: mtrancher]
RichardAustin Offline
Campfire Guide

no he didn't. That was the difference between Buster and Shorty. That was also why Matlock could never quite measure up to Buster as a trainer. Matlock wouldn't quit riding with two hands becuause he wanted to que his horse.

#6191179 - 02/18/12 Re: Crooked Stirrups [Re: RichardAustin]
ironbender Offline
Campfire Oracle

Originally Posted By: RichardAustin

One of the greastest cowboys to ever throw a leg over a horse. no weight in his stirrups.

Why do you say he has no weight in the stirrups?

#6191233 - 02/18/12 Re: Crooked Stirrups [Re: ironbender]
RichardAustin Offline
Campfire Guide

because if he rode with his weight in his stirrups he'd be wrapped around that horse's neck.

#6191238 - 02/18/12 Re: Crooked Stirrups [Re: RichardAustin]
ironbender Offline
Campfire Oracle

what am I missing?
Could you make your answers more complete? I'm really trying to see your point.

#6191350 - 02/18/12 Re: Crooked Stirrups [Re: ironbender]
RichardAustin Offline
Campfire Guide

i'll give it an honest try.
if your feet/stirrups are sitting below you with your weight in them bracing, a hard stop will use the force like a pendalum and push you forward up and out of the seat. if you're "sitting" by tucking your butt underneath yourself, you melt into the horse with the stop and are riding him thru it instead of getting in his way.
someone mentioned they couldn't trot a horse without standing in their stirrups. if you have a seat and post to the inside leg not only will you be much more comfortable and less tired end of a long day, when those wild ones get to spinning in 1/2 a second you'll still be seated.

#6191394 - 02/18/12 Re: Crooked Stirrups [Re: RichardAustin]
saddlesore Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

quote form Richard Austin "The only reason he's holding the horn is too keep from using his hands."

Watch those cutters and you can see them stressing thier arms while holding on.They brace each time the horse changes direction. They remind me of these buckle bunnies that are barrle racing.I'm not saying those old guys could not ride, but they are not the only ones to ever sit a saddle.

As I mentioned, what do you do when you need your hands for other things? Your legs, feet and butt are for riding,your hands are for doing the things on horseback that you need to do.

Most of the members who post on this thread and forum spend hours in the saddle.1/2 of them are working ranchers.We don't climb on a horse and ride it for twenty minutes or just do arena riding.
I'm not a Sunday rider, and I have been riding for almost 60 years, breeding, training and riding mules for almost 45 years. So when someone comes along and says no that's is all wrong,I sure get suspecious.

Maybe there are certain disciplines than can use a different stirrup. However, for general rough country riding and puttting lots'a miles on every day. The flat bottoms tirrup and cocking that stirrup like the crooked stirrup can serve the biggest majority quite well. I don't know about the crooked stirrup because I have never tride them,butI have tried Ox bows and at the endof the day you are hurting.

Edited by saddlesore (02/18/12)

#6191473 - 02/18/12 Re: Crooked Stirrups [Re: saddlesore]
RichardAustin Offline
Campfire Guide

Originally Posted By: saddlesore
quote form Richard Austin "The only reason he's holding the horn is too keep from using his hands."

What a crock. Watch those cutters and you can see them stressing thier arms while holding on.They brace ecah time the horse changes direction.

As I mentioned, what do you do when you need your hands for other things?

If you want to have a conversation,fine,just stop blowing smoke. Most of the members who post on this thread and forum spend hours in the saddle.1/2 of them are working ranchers.We don't climb on a horse and ride it for twenty minutes or just do arena riding.

first off, thats not cutters i'm taking about, that's Buster Welch. second thing is, theres plenty of people who don't do things the best it can be done. by your logic, if i also own a gun that would make me a complete authority on that as well. i've got a pair of chaps in the tack room with over 1/2 dozen of the largest and likely most famous ranches phone number written on the inside in case i left them behind somewhere, again by your logic that likely makes me the most complete expert that ever walked... starting to see the fault of your logic? back to topic. its fine with me if you cant sit a horse or mule. just because you've found a way to keep your hapless ass mounted doesn't mean squat. Buster knew more about horses by age 18 than you'll know in two lifetimes, and with what you've said i wouldn't let you teach my mule to kick. i'll take Buster's advice over yours or anybody elses. you want a crock or smoke you just look in the mirror.

#6191544 - 02/18/12 Re: Crooked Stirrups [Re: RichardAustin]
mtrancher Offline
Campfire Regular

There's no doubt that many people ride with too much weight in their stirrups. That's a common mistake. I grew up riding in both saddles and riding bareback and learned to apply bareback techniques to saddle riding. But to imply that the type of stirrup makes no difference to foot comfort .... no, I'm not going to buy that. And, there are relative differences to the amount of weight in the stirrup. Different situations will dictate that.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
RV 180 2
CLICK HERE for GREAT PRICES on LEUPOLD OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
RV 160 1 2
RV 160 2 2
CLICK HERE for GREAT PRICES on LEUPOLD OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
Who's Online
285 registered (Ackman, 257heaven, 280shooter, 338Rules, 17_wizzer, 2legit2quit, 38 invisible), 784 Guests and 410 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RV 160 3 2
Forum Stats
53,289 Registered Members
72 Forums
688,005 Topics
9,938,422 Posts

Most users ever online: 4,830 @ 12/02/14

Copyright © 2000-2015 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.