Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Anyone see the show "swamp people"? Its alligator hunters who bait with hooks and come up an head shoot the hooked gators typically with 22 rifles.
Its almost a firearms safety accident waiting to happen, but its interesting to see the variety of abused 22s they use. So far I have seen:
SS model 60's
Same in the box magazine version (75?)
Very few 10 22's, but a SS one with a 25 rounder.
Winchester 190
Remington 572

Anyone else see the show and spot anything unusual?
I laughed when the one kid took a 22 mag single action for "big power" compared to the ineffective 22 rifle he was using. Now that was scary watching him shoot a thrashing gator with the short barrel waving around.

(I hope someone else will admit to watching this show....)

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
you would think they would use pistols more or even the old traditional bang sticks. I would think a pistol would be more manuverable and safer than a rifle, you would just have to pay attention to where your hand was.

Seems we constantly hear about how Social Security is going to run out of money but we never hear about welfare or food stamps running out of money. What's interesting is the first group WORKED for their money but the other group didn't.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The native american kid, Jay Paul?, was shooting a varmint contour stainless Marlin 882 or 982 with good success. He and his Father seemed like the most "professional" pair on the entire show.

Jeff

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A watch that funny crap.... and think of Steve smile I see a lot of Marlins, one Browning ATD (or clone) the girl pair use a Marlin 22 mag this season and the crazy bastard in the overhauls fell in the water and shot the gator..in the water, WITH that SOB, with a North American Arms Mini Revolver smile

Shood-em Elizabeth, Shood-em!

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Very entertaining show!

If I'm wrong, I'll admit it. If I don't reply further, I'm satisfied with my side of the "debate."
[Linked Image]
...nuff said.
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I really enjoy the show. I've also seen a Marlin Mountie, a Ruger 77, and a Ruger Mini 14.

Chood um Lizabeth, chood um!

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
I don't see the show very often because I'm too cheap for cable, but I am amazed when you see them stick the muzzle down in the water to kill them. Kinda violates a few gun safety rules, but I suspect those 22's are pretty much disposable tools.

Sounds like they are shooting some nicer stuff.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
From the time a gator is hooked, the sidekick picks up a rifle to shoot it, and it finally gets shot after all the staged tugging, Ive counted as many as four different rifles in the shooters hands...
The editors must think no one is paying attention.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by ingwe
From the time a gator is hooked, the sidekick picks up a rifle to shoot it, and it finally gets shot after all the staged tugging, Ive counted as many as four different rifles in the shooters hands...

I have noticed that as well. I have seen that one of the boats had at least two separate gun cases. Backups, I suppose.

It is entertaining to watch though. I like the two brothers.... cool

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Dang ingwe, ya just got ta take the fun out of everything.....grin. Swamp People wanna go 1st class, they need a "bubba buddy" on them .22s......whistle grin

maddog

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H

I've noticed that too. You see the guy holding a SS marlin 60 and then a face shot of him aiming down a winchester 190....

Now I'm not feeling so bad when I notice something like that, say something, and the wife gives me that "your gun nut habits are showing" look...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What always amazes me is that the person tasked with shooting the gator never has the faintest clue of when he has a good shot, but the other person can recognize it so clearly. Seems like it would make sense to trade jobs. smile

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't know, if I had a tousand poun 14 ft mouf full of teeth on a string, I'd be sayin shoodem too wink

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The native american kid, Jay Paul?, was shooting a varmint contour stainless Marlin 882 or 982 with good success. He and his Father seemed like the most "professional" pair on the entire show.

That is why he has that big azz scope to shoot a gator at five feet. grin miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by humdinger

I've noticed that too. You see the guy holding a SS marlin 60 and then a face shot of him aiming down a winchester 190....

Now I'm not feeling so bad when I notice something like that, say something, and the wife gives me that "your gun nut habits are showing" look...

The real reason for that not only do they use multiple takes, but they basically go out and shoot a season's worth of footage and then combine it for the shows. You'll notice that Troy always wears the same striped shirt as well. So, they have footage of guys on different days holding different guns.

Last edited by Cossatotjoe_redux; 02/17/12.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love the fact that some of those guys need subtitles.

I also really like the swamp dude from axmen.

Come'on Willie! Heirwegooo!

Last edited by Dog_Hunter; 02/17/12. Reason: Flunked English

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That is Troy's "lucky" gator huntin' shirt, so it would be in play whenever Troy is on the hunt.

Jeff

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think that scope is for shooting gators that aren't on a hook, while those on a hook are at point and shoot range. In 1 episode, Jay Paul shot a gator in the head that looked to be 40 or 50 yards away, so he needed the scope for precision placement of the bullet.

Jeff

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
That Jay Paul is one of the better shooters from what I've seen. The father and son team that constantly shoot each other really irk me. I built a tank in Port Sulfur, LA where Trapper Joe and Tommy hunt, they're 'big time' local celebrities.... grin

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'm all for them boys and girls. They didn't ask to be on TV, TV asked them! And, I enjoy the show. "CHOOT EM LIZABETH" grin

maddog

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

228 members (257 mag, 160user, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 20 invisible), 1,811 guests, and 988 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,356
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.