Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It looks from the STI breakaway stirrup site that the ropers and vislia models are "angled"? I have only handled one pair and they were a pretty small pair - don't remember if they were "angled" or not. Tack shops here are not real well stocked variety wise..

GB2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
My STI's are not angled.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Saddlesore, I would recommend them for you. You could probably put some sort of taps on them to keep from hanging up. I've hung up once. Nothing else quite like it. Once is enough.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Mtrancher.Boy,I don't know after hanging upside down with only my shoulder touching the ground I'm real leery.
I was riding a three yr old green mule that slipped on a rock, fell and then jumped back up. I was lucky enough she did not bolt and I could grab one rein. But if I had been riding alone,I'd be dead today.
No way I could have freed myself.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I certainly understand. But knowing a little about your age, length of legs, and having a round-barreled horse or two I'd suggest looking into it. I know of a situation locally where the guy did die though he hung up in his lariat, not his stirrup. As much as I like Crooked Stirrups I am not presently using them on my newest Charley Snell saddle. It came with 5" Monels and I like them so well I can't change. The Crooked Stirrups are all 3" the last time I checked. They need more models including a breakaway stirrup.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Am I correct? The inside of the stirrup closest to the horse needs to be higher than the outside.

Go to the Crooked Stirrup website and all they will say is that no other stirrups work as good as thiers ( of course).

I have done quite a few miles in ox bow stirrups and they were worse yet than flat bottomed ones.I know a lot of cowboys and buckaroos use them ,but think it might be more traditional rather than function.

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Vince-
I think oxbows could approximate crookeds by setting one's foot toward the inside of the curve. Setting to the outside would compound the discomfort of regular stirrups.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
No, I don't think oxbows can approximate the affect. And most of us are not used to having our heel jammed against the stirrups as you need to do with oxbows. Oxbows are fine for 18-year-olds riding colts, but if you're over 40, or in my case, pushing 60, you need a better base for your foot and better weight distribution. Along these lines, I've quit wearing boots with leather soles. Too slick and too hard. I have a new pair of 16" Hondos with leather soles but the local cobbler put on a rubber overlay for only $20. Y'all are invited any time to stop by, ride my Charley Snell saddle and try my Crooked Stirrups. The wife would probably even make a pie and invite you in for coffee.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I tried oxbows once, and my feet hurt and I couldn't wait to get them off

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i only ride oxbows. the solution is to quit putting weight into your stirrups and ride off your seat.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
I can't agree with that. Where/how I ride there is no way to ride sitting in a rocking chair. smile If you have no weight in your stirrups, you will lose your seat.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
If you ride off your seat, you are using the saddle as a chair, not what it is intended for. One jump side ways, spin or whatever,and you come out of the saddle. With equal,balanced weight in the stirrups, not only do you cushion your ride,but any unexpected movement of the equine can be countered quite easily.

Sitting in the saddle leads to cincha galls and sore backs on equines.When you ride a horse or mule,you should be part of a team and help your partner out when possible. When you just sit in the saddle you are just a passenger.

I won't even get into what happens when you have to take a dally when hooked onto some rough stock.

Last edited by saddlesore; 02/17/12.

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Well put, Vince!
That's what I was trying to say.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Theres no reason to have weight in your stirrups unless you're lappin and tappin. The reason so many people cant ride is because of flat bottom stirrups. The best way to help a horse is get out of his way. Being able to sit a horse is one of the best ways to stay out of his way.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

One of the greastest cowboys to ever throw a leg over a horse. no weight in his stirrups.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I never figured the horn was a handle like cutters and barrel racers use it for. Take that horn off and see how long he sits in the saddle.

What do you do when your hands are busy with other things rather than holding onto the horn?

I invite anyone to come ride one of my young mules and stay aboard when it spins that 180 in half a second when holding onto a horn.

Last edited by saddlesore; 02/18/12.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Or not use your stirrups while posting a trot for 20 miles through my badlands.

BTW, if you look at the old cutting photos from the 50s and 60s holding onto the horn was not allowed. I bet even Buster had a little weight in his stirrups then.

Last edited by mtrancher; 02/18/12.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Wonder how that aluminum is when it gets wet? Looks they have a size for the xtra tuf cowboy boots that are popular up here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only reason he's holding the horn is too keep from using his hands. to suggest Buster couldn't sit a horse without holding the horn just reminds me how silly i was to enter a conversation about the merits of flat bottom stirrups; my mistake. if you want to look like you're having a seizure by riding with weight in your stirrups, by all means carry on. i guess if you cant ride off your seat you can always stand in your stirrups.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
500 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 222ND, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 48 invisible), 2,807 guests, and 830 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,230
Posts18,371,278
Members73,765
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.