-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 18 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 17 18
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ok all, lately I've read of more than a couple people toting an 06 loaded with 200's running @ 2700 fps. (comes up a lot when the 06 vs 338/06 debate comes up)

I've never used a .30-06 with 200's, but I have a question related to this statement.

What wouldn't a .338 210 grn Partition started out at 2700 - 2750 fps give adequate penetration on? Take that a step further, what wouldn't an ordinary Speer or Hornady 200 grn .338 bullet started at 2700 -2750 fps be adequate for? If these already penetrate "enough", than what's to gain by using something with "more"?
I get the increased BC of the 200 grain .30 cal, but how many dudes are using a .30-06 for long range work where you actually see this difference anyway?

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I've never used a .30-06 with 200's

There is no need to use a 200 grain bullet in the '06... think it was Phil Shoemaker that wrote on someones book killing the record Brown Bear for years with a 180 grain out of the '06.

The 200 in the '06 is Internet babble.If a 180 Nosler won't do it,it's time to move up in speed and caliber like a 300 Win Mag at 2930 fps with factory ammo and a 200 grain Nos.

The '06 isn't famous for 200 grain hand loaded bullets at 2700+ fps.

Just my opinion having been around the '06 hunting for over 50 years.

Jayco

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Could have been an M1 Garand? I only saw the rifle once before the conversion was done in early 1961. I remember my dad saying it was an Enfield.....Maybe it wasn`t.

Was it a semi-auto?
.....No. It was a bolt action all-right. I remember it had nearly a full length wood stock on it and my dad said that it was originally a military rifle. Now I`m curious to find out what it really was.

After the conversion, it was mine to shoot and hunt with (under dad`s supervision) until early 1967 when my parents split and later divorced. He took possession of that rifle. I never saw it again after that, or him since 1972.

Maybe it was a 1917 Springfield? Maybe he got his "fields" mixed up between an En-field and a Spring-field.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by logcutter
I've never used a .30-06 with 200's

There is no need to use a 200 grain bullet in the '06... think it was Phil Shoemaker that wrote on someones book killing the record Brown Bear for years with a 180 grain out of the '06.

The 200 in the '06 is Internet babble.If a 180 Nosler won't do it,it's time to move up in speed and caliber like a 300 Win Mag at 2930 fps with factory ammo and a 200 grain Nos.

The '06 isn't famous for 200 grain hand loaded bullets at 2700+ fps.

Just my opinion having been around the '06 hunting for over 50 years.

Jayco

Have you ever used a 30-06 with 200s?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Yes and 220's....Both Noslers......

I have a 300 Win Mag for heavy bullets and a 375 H&H when the Elk get bullet proof. grin

Jayco

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Even though Phil chooses to use 200-220 grain out of his '06 for "Brown Bear"..He wrote this................

This afternoon I was just re-reading Jim Reardon's new book where he discusses the world record Brown Bear hunt. That bear, which they estimated weighed 1300-1400 pounds, squared an honest (as opposed to streched) 10' 5". Ray Lindsey killed it at 30 yards with his 30-06 and 180 gr bullets

Jayco

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by logcutter
Even though Phil chooses to use 200-220 grain out of his '06 for "Brown Bear"..He wrote this................

This afternoon I was just re-reading Jim Reardon's new book where he discusses the world record Brown Bear hunt. That bear, which they estimated weighed 1300-1400 pounds, squared an honest (as opposed to streched) 10' 5". Ray Lindsey killed it at 30 yards with his 30-06 and 180 gr bullets

Jayco

Stunt

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Has to be huh..Gotta have atleast a 200 in the '06 to kill anything.

Jayco grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Just joking with ya, have a good day.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

..........IIRC, it was an old Enfield military rifle made in 1903 or thereabouts, that my dad had converted over to a sporterized 30-06 hunting rifle.

Could have been an M1 Garand? I only saw the rifle once before the conversion was done in early 1961. I remember my dad saying it was an Enfield.....Maybe it wasn`t.

.....No. It was a bolt action all-right. I remember it had nearly a full length wood stock on it and my dad said that it was originally a military rifle. Now I`m curious to find out what it really was.

After the conversion, it was mine to shoot and hunt with (under dad`s supervision) until early 1967 when my parents split and later divorced. He took possession of that rifle. I never saw it again after that, or him since 1972.

Maybe it was a 1917 Springfield? Maybe he got his "fields" mixed up between an En-field and a Spring-field.

Look like any of these?...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
It`s been 51 years since I saw that rifle before the conversion and it was only for a few minutes.

It had a bolt action. Had nearly a full lengthed wood stock. No scope. Had a rear (peep?) site and had front iron sites as I remember. My dad bought it from a p/p and a smith did the conversion.

After the conversion, the receiver looks similar to your 2nd pic.

Could have been a Springfield. I really don`t know.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Royce
Brad
Do you anneal cases?

Every 4th loading. But that obviously has nothing to do with primer pockets.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Mac-I've been loading for 4 decades now and have never annealed a case, not even sure how to do it or what the bene's are supposed to be? Could give me/us the short version of what you feel it does for you and or your loads?

Gracias

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 02/02/12.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Brad
In all the years I have been posting on the 24 Hour Campfire, you are one of the very very few people that I have bumped up against.
To my face you have been fawning and obsequious and over the internet you have been sarcastic and pedantic.
Every post that I make that calls into question one of Dobrenski's statements you chime in with your two cents worth.

I have watched and ignored as both you and Dobrenski talked about going to your "ranch" "in the Shields Valley" to do your long distance shooting and never pointed out that your "ranch" is 20 acres of sagebrush with no animals on it. IK watched as your posted five or six of Dobrenski's rifles with the claim that each "had killed hundreds of animals".
I have watched as you screamed that others didn't have enough experience to make claims, yet on the basis of having killed 20 elk, you claim expertise on every bullet that is mentioned, from 25 to 375 caliber.
You are a master at implying experience way beyond what you have.
In the future, if you want to act like a little prick towards me, let me know, and I'll be glad to drive to Bozeman or Ennis or where the hell ever you are and you can do it to my face.

Fred

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Brad
In all the years I have been posting on the 24 Hour Campfire, you are one of the very very few people that I have bumped up against.
To my face you have been fawning and obsequious and over the internet you have been sarcastic and pedantic.
Every post that I make that calls into question one of Dobrenski's statements you chime in with your two cents worth.

I have watched and ignored as both you and Dobrenski talked about going to your "ranch" "in the Shields Valley" to do your long distance shooting and never pointed out that your "ranch" is 20 acres of sagebrush with no animals on it. IK watched as your posted five or six of Dobrenski's rifles with the claim that each "had killed hundreds of animals".
I have watched as you screamed that others didn't have enough experience to make claims, yet on the basis of having killed 20 elk, you claim expertise on every bullet that is mentioned, from 25 to 375 caliber.
You are a master at implying experience way beyond what you have.
In the future, if you want to act like a little prick towards me, let me know, and I'll be glad to drive to Bozeman or Ennis or where the hell ever you are and you can do it to my face.

Fred

You've gone out of your mind... yes, my piece of the "ranch" is 20 acres as I've always said (have always said "ranch" tongue-in-cheek), but it's part of (adjoining) a property that I have access to that is over 2,000 acres with a lot of animals on it. Makes LR shooting pretty simple. What you don't know about me and those friends that own this ground is extensive.

You're one of the most emotionally crippled people I've ever been around and I do feel bad saying that. You're bitter and petty with a mean-streak a mile deep.

Next time we run into each other, you can say all that you want to face-to-face... or you can just ignore me like you did Dober in Helena last week.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Brad
Brad
Do you anneal cases?

Every 4th loading. But that obviously has nothing to do with primer pockets.

BTW, not sure how you came up with that tirade based on this...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mark, I have never annealed cases either but what I have read leads me to think that brass gets brittle after several loadings. Annealing brings back the elastisity (?) I think. Preventing split necks and maybe help with neck tension. The way to do it that I have read about is to hold the brass about halfway down with your fingers (or was it closer to the base?) and place the neck area over a candle (while rotating) till it gets hot enough to make you want to let go. Dropping it into a cup of water. If I am wrong someone please correct me. I have been considering doing it with my present brass.

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Mac-I've been loading for 4 decades now and have never annealed a case, not even sure how to do it or what the bene's are supposed to be? Could give me/us the short version of what you feel it does for you and or your loads?

Gracias

Dober

Dober, I'm only in my 3rd decade of handloading so I'm a relative novice compared to many here. There's a lot of ways to anneal... I prefer the old simple, "spin and dunk" method.

Benzomatic torch, 5 gal bucket with some cold water in it.

Hold the case base (lower 1/3rd of the case) in your finger tips and spin it in the blue flame of the torch. When it gets too hot to hold, drop it in the waiting bucket of water... you now have an annealed case. You KNOW it's annealed by the blue line that has crept down the case neck to just below the case shoulder. I like to see the blue go about 1/4" below the shoulder.

I've noticed pressures and velocity climb with work-hardened cases (IMO/E, those that haven't been annealed beyond four or five reloads).

I dry the cases by putting them on a cookie sheet in the oven on low for 1hr.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Gracias

Dober

I ain't Brad and I slept in my own bed last night, but....... grin

Not always, but most of the time when brass starts getting work hardened, they become more likely to have more runout when sized--FL, PFLR, or Nk sized.

I've used various propane torches to anneal until I tried JB's recommended method of a candle and holding the case in the middle until too hot, and then dropping the brass onto a wet paper towel and wiping the soot off--it works--very well so far.

In the past I have sized a number of pieces of work hardened brass, checked runout, annealed them, and ran'em through the sizing die again, and had less neck runout with the newly annealed brass than prior to annealing. It demonstrated to my satisfaction one clear benefit to annealing.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ahh hah I was close?! I will try it this time, lord knows with my handloading I don't need anything against me. laugh

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

Page 6 of 18 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (35, 308ld, 14idaho, 3dtestify, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 12 invisible), 1,866 guests, and 818 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,728
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.