Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Another option is to contact someone on campfire that lives in the same town. Someone you have confidence in, like 99% of the members. Send them the check and ask them to present the check at the same bank the check is drawn upon for cash. You will lose your $12, but if there is sufficient money in the account, you will get the amount of the check. If there is not enough money, then the person can hold it for another time. You can only send a check thru twice, but if you make sure the money is there, no problem. I have had to use this method sometimes with a bad renter. You can even call the bank (daily) to see if there is money before you go. They will not tell you how much money is there, but they will confirm the there is enough money to cover the amount of the check. The only weakness here is that the bank may charge the bank account in the time between your call and arriving at the bank an amount that brings the account lower than the amount of the check. I have even had clerks tell me that there is not enough money in the account today but be sure and check back tomorrow, which means for you to be at the door when the bank opens. I hate doing it this way. It does surprise the person writing the bad check! Let us know what happens.

Last edited by JustLucky; 02/17/12. Reason: grammar

2 b 1 ask 1 !
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by watch4bear
If you contact the DA in his home town, you'll get all your money plus fee's.

Most jurisdictions would consider this a civil matter.

If criminal, do you believe the prosecutors office would pay for the OP transportation, lodging and other expenses for at least two court hearings for a $50 case?

Internet deals on the net can be compared to the law of the wild west. You are mostly on your own and what law there is is hit and miss.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
If your $50 check bounces you have no business buying a knife.

We need a bad guys sticky even if it is a rule to wait a month after deal before listing the guys name.A month is plenty of time, unless someone died then an apology can be issued.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry to hear of your dilema. I recently sent a $400 part to a fellow in Sweden that I don't know who expressed an interest in it. Told him if he didn't like it to send it back. Sure enough, 7 days later received an email asking for my paypal address so he could pay for it.

Good luck on getting your money.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
that's low. sorry to hear that. i just can't fathom it - if it were me, knowing my check had bounced....shameful. i'd make it right immediately. if it's been this long, you're not gonna hear back. a month is a whole billing statement. unacceptable. gonna agree here: it's been long enough. you should tell us who to avoid.

i'm glad some of us were raised to know this simple truth: your word is your bond. or for the newer set: "all i've got in this world is my word and my balls. and i don't break 'em for nobody."

good luck, hope you get some kind of response, but i doubt it sincerely.

"Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak arabic, love music, and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers, and warriors." ~Hunter S. Thompson

I'm still clinging bitterly...how about you?
IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I normally use checks here.
My line of work dictates I'm rarely in town dur
ing business hours,but I always make sure the seller knows I fully expect them to take as long for clearance as they are comfortable with before sending my item.
In this day,and age of identity theft it's only fair to the seller to get his money first,you just never know.
Mike

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
I am not an attorney, nor an LEO. However, at one point in time, I was under the impression that use of the internet and/or U.S. Mail to defraud someone of money or property across state boundaries was a Federal offense ? Wire fraud per 18 USC 1343 ? Mail Fraud per 18 USC 1341 ?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Orion2000
I am not an attorney, nor an LEO. However, at one point in time, I was under the impression that use of the internet and/or U.S. Mail to defraud someone of money or property across state boundaries was a Federal offense ? Wire fraud per 18 USC 1343 ? Mail Fraud per 18 USC 1341 ?
I'm under the impression that anyone who believes that bullshit has been watching too much television and believes in too many of the fairy tales that get posted on these internet message boards.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Landman,

If he were trustworthy he would have squared up by now.

I would post his name so others will know not to deal with him.

MS

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have no problem accepting a personal check for payment.I would also have no problem Posting someones name who stiffed me.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would stay in touch with him or her and see if they make it right. You tell him you will make his name public if he doesn't live up to the bargain you two made. I have never understood what makes a person want to be a Thief.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Orion2000

Technically, maybe.

But over $50? Don't hold your breath on getting them to jump on that one.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Technically, it's mail fraud. I hate it when this happens. I have sent a lot of personal checks to folks and received them as well, but I always make it a point to make sure they clear, and I let those who receive mine do the same.
What boggles my mind is that this sort of forum is a somewhat closed community, and all you really have to show for yourself is your reputation among your peers. $50 seems a pretty cheap price for one's integrity.

Just my 2 cents.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Balkandom
Technically, it's mail fraud.
The difference between your post and a fairy tale is a fairy tale starts out "Once upon a time..." Mail fraud my f*cking ass. No U.S. Attorney's office or any other law enforcement agency for that matter is going to devote a minute even thinking about this. Please don't post BULLSHIT. Thanks.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I recently had the same issue arise. I waited 10 days for the check to clear before shipping. It was more than 3 weeks later when the check bounced. Who was it?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

It's a cost of doing business. Post his name so others don't get stung.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Hey Brick, sorry I somehow managed to offend you. I was looking at the letter of the law, not what actually happens, attorneys do that sort of thing. As I stated in my post, reputation means more than anything else in a place like this, the worst punishment would be publishing the individual's name. If you have a problem with me, please bring it up in a private setting, I would be more than happy to speak with you.

Mike

Last edited by Balkandom; 02/19/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey Brick, sorry I somehow managed to offend you. I was looking at the letter of the law, not what actually happens, attorneys do that sort of thing. As I stated in my post, reputation means more than anything else in a place like this, the worst punishment would be publishing the individual's name. If you have a problem with me, please bring it up in a private setting, I would be more than happy to speak with you.Mike

Good luck with that.

"Any one who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
- Henry Ford
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey Brick, sorry I somehow managed to offend you. I was looking at the letter of the law, not what actually happens, attorneys do that sort of thing. As I stated in my post, reputation means more than anything else in a place like this, the worst punishment would be publishing the individual's name. If you have a problem with me, please bring it up in a private setting, I would be more than happy to speak with you.

Mike
Naw, we can "speak" right here, right now. You post BULLSHIT, you get called on BULLSHIT. It's a simple concept. This f*cking ongoing fairy tale of "IT'S MAIL FRAUD" and "CALL THE COPS" is getting f*cking tired. Because as I understand these little BULLSHIT fairy tales -- and rest assured, they most certainly are BULLSHIT -- there is really no such thing as a "bad" deal or "hot check," is there? Why, according to the little roundheads who keep shouting and banging away at their keyboards, the cops and prosecutors are just standing by as we read this BULLSHIT, ready to jump up and kick in someone's door and collect your f*cking debt. Isn't that about right?

I mean, you have a legally-binding contract stating terms and responsibilities of the buyer, seller, and other interested parties, correct? And the "authorities" are there to do your bidding and mediate your civil dispute, right? A simple phone call or email will result in an IMMEDIATE arrest warrant, some "tac" team kicking in someone's door, shoving some dude's head in the [bleep] (a la "The Big Lebowski") and shouting "WHERE'S THE MONEY, [bleep]*CKER???!!!!" And then pissing on the rug.

What a load of BULLSHIT.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Fencing with a quadraplegic.

Have a good one Bricktop.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (06hunter59, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 50 invisible), 2,314 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,039
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.