Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Jericho Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Was talking to a guy today and he told me he had shot a
deer in the neck and lost it. Said he shot it standing broadside approx 75 yards with a 25-06. Another hunter in
his party killed it later that day and its windpipe had
been severed from the previous shot. I have shot several
deer in the neck and they have always dropped right there.
I have never heard of this happening, any input?

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Severing the windpipe should be fatal...but Ive seen some strange things....

I personally dont like the neck shot and only take it under certain circumstances...

"certain" meaning I'm certain its going to work....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I killed an antelope buck this past fall that had been shot through the windpipe and esophagus from the side either that day or the day before from the looks of it. They were torn wide open and the wound was gaped open. He would have been coyote bait when he got weak from dehydration since he could no longer eat or drink.

I'm not a fan of neck shots for that very reason. I wonder how many deer have run off with wounds like that and the hunter figured "must have missed clean, they always drop on the spot when I hit 'em in the neck". The chest cavity is a far larger target, that's where I aim.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ingwe
Severing the windpipe should be fatal...but Ive seen some strange things....

Depends on the type of wound. My antelope buck had essentially had a tracheostomy and was breathing through the open neck wound straight into the torn trachea. (I'm a respiratory therapist, that part of the anatomy is part of my gig). grin

I might consider a neck shot under the right circumstances like ingwe stated. I'd have to have a steady rest, a stationary critter at reasonable range and no shot at the chest cavity.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
J
Jericho Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
All of my neck shots have been at standing deer at less
than 60 yards, give or take, and I usually shoot with the
deer facing me.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by sambo3006

I might consider a neck shot under the right circumstances like ingwe stated. I'd have to have a steady rest, a stationary critter at reasonable range and no shot at the chest cavity.

Yep...that about exactly wraps it up for me...plus one thing...A rifle I can thread a needle with....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Neck shots can easily be a flesh wound high, or a trachea shot low depending...

I opt for the head, the target is much more round, and aim high, if you miss high its no big deal, if you hit low you still kill. I am picky that I don't head shoot anymore with anything less than a 308 though. Just a personal deal from 2 shots that I didn't exactly like the outcome even though it was instantly fatal in both.

A neck, well in spots its higher than most think, in spots its center and in spots its lower than most think. Plus the bones and spinal column are not that large of a target.

All that being said, if you are totally in control of the shot and know the anatomy like you should, then its a good enough shot. And I"m with a few others, if I take it, its going to be a facing me shot. Going away same, but I'll take back of head every time on going away.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've seen similar things happen. Myself and several other cullers have seen or had to deal with neck shot deer getting up after a stunning shot. While they will probably eventually die, if you don't actually destroy the vertebrae and spinal cord, you'll just stun em briefly. A couple of times we've shot deer in the neck (and high shoulder, though the effect is slightly different), left them there to head to a different bait site really quickly only to have them gone when we get back with no blood trail to follow (often in locked enclosures, so it's not like someone drove by and picked up a dead deer lying in a sendero). The only time I actually witnessed them getting up was after a high shoulder though.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I think the best opportunity with a neck shot is if the deer is facing you and you can put the bullet dead center in the white patch. I feel it's the best opportunity to smash or disrupt the CNS.

J
Jericho Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Yes sir, only reaction I get with neck shots are deer dropping,
and legs kicking for a few seconds and all is done.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While I have shot a number of deer in the neck I try to avoid the shot.

One reason is that deer move their heads up and down fast and I can miss as they move.

The primary reason is that the heart/lung area is larger.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Savage_99

One reason is that deer move their heads up and down fast and I can miss as they move.

Just like a chicken huh?

Last edited by exbiologist; 02/19/12.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have have killed many by neck shots. It's almost always a facing shot, center of the throat patch. My biggest buck was killed this way when I surprised him in a a cutover surrounded by brush. The only shot I had. It's a fatal, drop outta sight
type shot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sometimes ya gotta tickle their tonsils. Often just have to shoot what is offered to ya.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I was taught if you don't have a shot you don't take it.

I don't feed em I eat em
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I burned my tag one year on a small buck that had his jaw blown off.
I don't like anything but chest shots unless your after a wounded critter, then any shot is fair game as long as it is safe.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am with the throat patch group. About the only neck shot I know I can consistently make. Deer on point looking at me and that white spot is just a good target.

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
I burned my tag one year on a small buck that had his jaw blown off.

BTDT as well.
Pump station for me. (whenever possible and I get that sometimes that's not always feasible) I'm secure enough with self to admit that I'm not always perfect and the boolit doesn't always land precisely as I had planned nor does the critter always cooperate.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

You either have the slowest rifle on the planet of the fastest deer.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Watch for hell to freeze over very soon - I'm agreeing with Savage_99. grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

289 members (375sunrise, 338reddog, 219 Wasp, 30Gibbs, 10ring1, 29aholic, 33 invisible), 1,757 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,205
Posts18,524,224
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.