-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I just finished up details for a hunt this fall for me and my son. He will be 8 this fall and is very excited to be going. We will have an antelope tag and possibly a deer tag in Colorado. I will also be taking my grandfathers 243, who just died last fall. I know he would like to see his great grandson out hunting with his favorite rifle.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Kodiakisland
<br>I also have an 8-year-old son and have been looking into taking him somewhere, but thought the majority of the western states, and most notably CO, made non-residents wait until they were 12?
<br>
<br>I will have to check the books, but I thought I just read that the other day. Hope I'm wrong on that.
<br>best to you
<br>art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sitka
<br>You are correct.
<br>I believe 12 is a little old for kids who are raised around hunting and shooting. My kids started shooting when they were 4. When the child is ready to hunt is best left for the parent to decide, in my opinion. Of course, there will be kids at the age of 12 who are still not ready to be hunting. I am glad I did not have to wait till I was 12 before I could start hunting.
<br>
<br>I was able to get private land owner tags that did not require the draw process. We will be hunting unguided on a large ranch, and of course the tags are in my name.

T
Tom Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
In Texas, there is no lower limit on age for hunting. I know a place you could take them, several, for an out of state liscense of $35 and around $200 for the hunt and they can hunt and shoot. Rams or exotic does, like fallow, sika (asian elk), or axis (spotted). If you are interested, e-mail me.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have had some concerns expressed about the above posts.
<br>To clear things up, the law says you must be 12 to shoot. Thats what the law says and thats what will be followed.
<br>
<br>That does not mean someone under 12 cannnot go hunting with their father, who should know when their son is ready to shoot better than someone from the state.
<br>
<br>I just wonder though how many have broken the law because they didn't agree with it, but stuck to the spirit of the law. An example: speeding on the open highway but driving slow around town or children playing.

IC B2

T
Tom Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Yes, your son can legally go hunting with you, but in Texas, if you decide he's ready to shoot when he is 6, he can legally shoot also, in addition to going hunting with you. I forgot if you have to carry his gun or if he just has to be within arms length of you, but its at the Texas Parks and Wildlife web page. There are pictures of 6 year old boys and girls in the paper here every year with some big old whitetail that many hunters wish they had shot sometime in their life, let alone when they were 6.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I understand exactly what you are saying... think I'll stick to Kodiak's deer for my son until he is 12. Of course he will be shooting some black bears and sheep before 12 also.
<br>art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (1lessdog, 160user, 22250rem, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 48 invisible), 2,131 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,237
Posts18,504,505
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.