-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm going to put a Lyman receiver peep sight and tritium front post on my 45/70,I'm wondering how do I determine which height post to get?Its an 1895LTD-V not listed in the Williams catalogue,the existing sight is dovetailed into the barrel,no ramp.Would it be the same as the sight listed for the 1895 CB,which I think is also dovetailed into the barrel? Scopes are a lot easier!
<br>Jeff

Jeff

I'm NOT the JScottRupp of Wolfe Publishing.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It depends on the height of the center of the receiver sight hole above the barrel/receiver. You may have to experiment with some liquid steel(JB Weld) to get the right height and then order one that high, or you may be lucky and the height of the one you have will be correct. AO has a trim off plastic front sight that is designed to determine the right height for about $5, might be easier than JB Weld. If you want me too, I'll measure the heights of the front and rear of the AO ghost ring sights I have on my Marlin, but that won't help you much unless your rear sight is almost exactly the same height above the receiver. You may have to install a ramp or you will have a sight sticking pretty far up in the air, meaning easily bent.

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
IIFID,thanks for the offer,but I think you'r right there would be a big diference in height there.I hadnt really thought about the sight sticking way up like that either,though I was thinking I'd probably need a riser block.Besides being prone to breakage,It'd be kind of dog ugly too.I think I'll call Marlin and see what I can do as for a ramp,probably easier in the long run,and would look better also.Thanks again,
<br>Jeff

Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jscott, I have the Ashley sight on my Marlin 1894 in 44 mag. I also got a front sight from them and it worked perfectly for sighting the gun in a 50 yards and I am only 1" low at 100. Can't remember where you said you got your peep but you might check with them, as they probably sell front sights that are already pretty close. TM

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Travelling man is right about this, and Ashley outdoors as well. Call them and they will send you a little black plastic temporary sight. it is notched so that you can break off about a 1/16" at a time. When you shoot to high break of a piece until your hitting where you like. Then measure or count the remaining segments and tell them how many are there. They will then send you the proper steel front sight to slide into your dovetail. I know of guys using this Ashley segmented front sight who are buying other manufactureres front sights and just needed to know the correct height. My friend John used it this weekend as a matter of fact on an old military rifle to regulate the new front sight. It sure beats the file, and using trial and error method!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just for information's sake, Ashley Outdoors has changed their name to AO Sight Systems and their plastic sight is what I was referring to above. You can still check their site and their sights out at www.Ashleyoutdoors.com however. Good products, expensive, but worth the money.

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I meant to say I'm getting a Williams FP,I think I probably had the Lyman catalogue next to the computer the other night! Oh well, thanks guys I'll order the Ashley site height "device" when I get off here,I think thats probably the best and easiest solution. Without the internet I'd really be stuck here,when I called Williams all they could tell me was to buy a muzzle loader type sight.Said it would be as close as I could get.Thanks again
<br>Shoot just went to the Ashley site and theres a dealer less than 10 miles from me,even gave me a map! Maybe I can get this figured out this weekend.
<br>Jeff
<br>
<br>

Last edited by JScottRupp; 04/25/02.

Jeff

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well I ended up getting the Ashley set up.I called Williams with a couple questions before ordering,and the customer service rep I spoke to kind of acted like I was keeping him from his coffee break! That may or may not reflect on the product but if if you ever do have a problem....? And it kind of ticked me off too! The folks at Ashley Express were happy to answer questions,and after I ordered the set, I was going to order a threaded aperture for $12, they offered to let me swap one of the aps from the set for a threaded one. They did send me a couple test posts to make sure the sight is the right one before I put it on. I should have it on in the next day or two as long as all is right with it. I think it'll work out good.
<br>Jeff

Jeff

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1234, 1lesfox, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 57 invisible), 1,909 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,166
Posts18,523,612
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.