Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 18 19
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Nobody bitches about the effectiveness of an arrow - which is behind that of a .223 from a rifle.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Personally I am waiting for the thread to migrate to Elk and the 17 Fireball...or maybe the new 17 Ackley Hornet...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by logcutter
So why not the .223 for Elk or is the .243 the lowest caliber lethal to Elk without a head shot?

Jayco

Because Craig Boddington and Jack Atcheson say the .338 is king. Jayco, did you know that Boddington swears by the Hummer H-2 also? That's all I need to know, I'm gonna git one today!!!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Well if your a local and it is legal, go for it. I personally would not travel for two days, spend a lot of money and have my hunt hinge on a 223.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
You could AI it. Turns a mouse gun into a moose gun.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have no doubt that the 223, coupled with the right bullet could kill an elk cleanly. But like Viking said, if I were to travel out west for an elk hunt, I would bring my 300wm. If I wanted to go light, I'd have my 7mm-08.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You better get off that cactus juice and get realistic if you are going elk hunting. .223 ha!ha!!!!!!!!!!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by DJTex
Seems like "Why?" keeps coming up...

I haven't hunted elk with a 223, but I have with a bow.

I could sure kill him from further and from more angles with the .223 and a good bullet.

Maybe some guys enjoy the challenge of using something where you have to get closer and pick shots more carefully - kind of a half way point between bow hunting and running a 300WSM and 180 TTSX (which is probably what I'd use rifle hunting elk, FWIW).

I don't hear the outrage about bow hunting, but the .223 sure stirs it up.

Frankly, having lots of children who hunt has given me a greater appreciation of what the little round can do, and I have zero doubt I could kill an elk with one very ethically and without much drama if I needed to.

In fact, I think it would be easy enough that I wouldn't see it as adding much challenge, which is why I liked trying it with a bow - but am not real interested in going the .223 route - but I wouldn't be sore at a guy who wanted to run the .223 or a pistol or a bow if he did it to make the hunt more challenging and conducted his hunt accordingly.

DJ

I find your comments to be very wise and I agree %100.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
This thread is a joke....Jayco is playing with you guys.. whistle grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Now Bob...I already gave reasons why, if the .243 is an Elk gun then the .223 should be also.I gave penetration test in ballistic Gel where a mediocre Federal Fusion out of a .223 penetrated 15" in ballistic Gel. If you know your Gel and how other Elk calibers penetrate in it,15" is about maybe average.

I also stated that if the 95 grain Fusion(type bullet) out of a .243 @ 2980 fps is an Elk slayer,then a 62 grain TSX @ 3100 fps in .224 should atleast be equal with only .019 difference in diameter.

I have personally seen Elk killed with a 22-250 so I stepped it up a notch and acquired not just one,but two .223 rifles..There light weight/easy to carry/hardly any recoil at all and plinking ammo is not worth reloading since it is so inexpensive.

So Bob..Tell me why a .223/.224 is not an Elk rifle if the .243 is,as so many say, and yes,I have seen Elk killed with the mighty .243?

I doubt anyone can say either cannot kill Elk since the .223 is like famous here in Idaho since we heard how well it works on Polar Bears by local tribesmen in AK,not even our Idaho elk are that tough.

Jayco

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Five Federal Fusions picked out of ballistic gel out of the .223 measured at 15" penetration depth at "100 yards" not in someones basement...The 45-70 400 grain Swift A-Frame only did 18".

Not a bad looking bullet with some very nice cutting edges.

[Linked Image]

Jayco

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Good deal if you're hunting ballistic gel.

Any bones in that gel?

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Richard Mann,one of the NRA's contracted experts, helped develop the Bullet Test tube. (It�s slightly harder material than the gelatin used in Federal�s test.) Mann tested Federal�s loads in it and on deer, and here�s what he found:

When robustly constructed bullets like the Barnes TSX, Nosler Partition and Fusion are used inside 150 yards, penetration with the .223 Remington is on par with cartridges like the .243 and the .30-30 Winchester.�

We all know the 30-30 Winchester has killed a boat load of Elk and most other game and when the .223 penetrates equally with a well constructed bullet,within it's range and a well placed shot,I see no problem using it on Elk,just like the famed .243.

Jayco

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I would wager that your little fed. fusions may not even make it through a rib bone or at least be deflected. I just have always liked to use the correct tool for any job that I do. I also bet that your little bullets don't provide much of a blood trail. I hope your a good tracker. Daryl.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Richard Mann,one of the NRA's contracted experts, helped develop the Bullet Test tube. (It�s slightly harder material than the gelatin used in Federal�s test.) Mann tested Federal�s loads in it and on deer, and here�s what he found:

When robustly constructed bullets like the Barnes TSX, Nosler Partition and Fusion are used inside 150 yards, penetration with the .223 Remington is on par with cartridges like the .243 and the .30-30 Winchester.�

We all know the 30-30 Winchester has killed a boat load of Elk and most other game and when the .223 penetrates equally with a well constructed bullet,within it's range and a well placed shot,I see no problem using it on Elk,just like the famed .243.

Jayco

You remind me of some fly fisherman I know. They insist on using the lightest tippets (end of leader) for very big fish. What happens is they can't put any real pressure on the fish, or the tippet will break. They also use very light fly rods, and again they can't put any pressure on the fish. So, all they can do is slowly play the fish until it's exhausted.
Now, keep in mind these are catch and release fisherman who claim to care for the fish. They're also fishing Gold Medal waters that are always catch and release. The point being to not kill the fish.
They finally land the exhausted trout on their tiny .223 size fishing gear, and hold up their prize bragging how they did it on small gear. Then they finally put the trout back in the water trying to revive it. It may slowly swim away, but it's dead. It went off by itself to die.
I ask them why they do it. They say because it fun and a challenge. The truth is they just want to brag about it, and could care less about killing the fish.

I feel someone who shoots a small caliber for big game is doing the same thing. Just something to brag about with no regard for the animal.

As was already said. You want to hunt elk? Buy an elk gun. Surely you can handle more than 3 lbs of recoil?

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
...... when the .223 penetrates equally with a well constructed bullet,within it's range and a well placed shot,I see no problem using it on Elk,just like the famed .243.

Jayco

So, are you trying to make the case that a 60-grain .223 bullet penetrating 15 inches in a ballistic medium is the same as a .50 caliber 450 grain bullet penetrating 15 inches in the same medium?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Don't take me wrong,I am far from saying the .223 is an Elk caliber.Just saying like the .243 thread,it is capable of getting the job done if all the marbles lined up correctly and you use a top of the line bullet for the job.

What I am saying is,when the .243 is touted as being an Elk slayer then the .223/.224 is one also.It is on par in penetration and only lacking .019 in diameter before expansion and carries a higher velocity.

Out of all the rifles I have used on Elk,the .300 Win Mag continues to be my personal favorite with the .270 and '06 right on it's heals.

Jayco

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
A .243 is the bottom of the barrel for elk for most of us. You want to go below that? Makes no sense.

I would never consider a .243 for elk. A .223 is laughable for me. I don't care how many polar bears it's killed.

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
So, are you trying to make the case that a 60-grain .223 bullet penetrating 15 inches in a ballistic medium is the same as a .50 caliber 450 grain bullet penetrating 15 inches in the same medium?

Yes,if the 450 grain is unexpanded because the 62 grain Federal Fusion expanded to .54 caliber.If your 450 grain expands,then of course not and remember,that expansion and penetration was at 100 yards not 25.

The case I am trying to make is when using a bullet like the TSX out of the .223 at 3100 fps(factory ammo) it is capable of taking Elk,certainly not my first choice,but like the 243 and 30-30 that it is on par with in penetration on game,certainly enough if the nut behind the wheel does his part.

Jayco

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Bottom line Logcutter. Would you use a .223 for elk?

Page 3 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

444 members (1badf350, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 55 invisible), 2,669 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,472,005
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.