-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 32 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 31 32
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mark I really hope you can make. It would be really great both for you health wise, and or the group as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I talked to the wife last night and she Okayed be coming out, not that I had to have it. grin I will be thinking on what I need to bring so suggestions welcome. ThomasMagnum was talking about pecan wood. I could bring some if it would help. I have plenty of trees to cut but I would need to know how it is wanted. Dry, green, what size chunks? Let me know what is needed as time gets closer. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Miles I am good on pecan wood. I am going to be smoking a couple of pork shoulders over some pecan. I am planning bring my smoker and smoking them up there at the camp, but if fire restrictions prevent it I will smoke them here and bring a big tray of pulled pork.
I did the same thing for the get together down at Cross's place this winter, but smoked them over reclaimed Whiskey Barrel oak. Two smoked pulled shoulders feeds a whole lot of folks. 17 people barely put a dent in the stuff I took to Sierra Vista.
Not to toot my own horn, but it was pretty dang good too. grin
[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
having watched and tryed to keep up with this thread, i will be driving to moab ut. durango,colo. about that time of july, would like to stop by and meet everyone, im not in a hurry to be anywhere, so would like to stay a couple of days. would that work for you all, will be pulling a small trailer with my 4 wheeler and my shooting junk. will be happy to bring what ever you all think is needed from s. tex. rio7

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Miles I am good on pecan wood.

OK, but if there is anything else, just let me know and if I can lay my hands on it, it will be there. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Miles, sounds good. I am sure as it draws closer we will have posts about what all might be needed, etc. Looking forward to shaking hands with you.

RIO7 should work just fine. There is plenty of room around the lake or surrounding forrest for a big camp.
Some pics of last summer's camp setup:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
GREAT NEWS UPDATE!!!! I just ran the idea by my totally hot and beautiful inside and out wifey (you guys and your wives are going to just LOVE her immediately) and she said that if we can work out a trip before or after to the grand canyon she is intersted in making New Mexico part of our summer vacation. We would have my Chevy Avalanche and our 25 foot self contained camping trailer with, motorcycles including my Rokon on the MC rack I added to it last year. Plenty of room to bring lots of toys for ya'll to play with. NOW it seems more likey, and exciting as well. So..... how far away is Quemedo from the Grand Canyon? IS there a lake with trailer type camping and hook ups nearby?

How many want to sign on to try out my hot loaded 416 Rigby with handloads that approximate 416 Weatherby ballistics. Its FUN, I tell ya! (to watch OTHERS shooting it..... smile )

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't belive there are RV hook ups at the lake campgrounds itself, but I belive there is a dump station nearby.

The Grand Canyon is probably about six hours from Quemado, and its a easy drive. I don't think there are really any big climbs between the two even. From the Canyon its basically AZ-89 down to the I-40 then across to the AZ-77 down to the U.S.60.... a little simplified but thats the gist of it.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by safariman
GREAT NEWS UPDATE!!!! I just ran the idea by my totally hot and beautiful inside and out wifey (you guys and your wives are going to just LOVE her immediately) and she said that if we can work out a trip before or after to the grand canyon she is intersted in making New Mexico part of our summer vacation. We would have my Chevy Avalanche and our 25 foot self contained camping trailer with, motorcycles including my Rokon on the MC rack I added to it last year. Plenty of room to bring lots of toys for ya'll to play with. NOW it seems more likey, and exciting as well. So..... how far away is Quemedo from the Grand Canyon? IS there a lake with trailer type camping and hook ups nearby?

How many want to sign on to try out my hot loaded 416 Rigby with handloads that approximate 416 Weatherby ballistics. Its FUN, I tell ya! (to watch OTHERS shooting it..... smile )

Mark,

I know you have had your share of challenges lately, but you sure a lucky guy! I do mean that sincerely -- and I know from your posts that you realize it too.

Furthermore, I have no doubt that your lovely wife will likely have all the 'Campfire curmudgeons wrapped around her little finger in short order.

I am going to try to make the trip from Sweden -- it seems like every time I check this thread another person I would like to meet in person (like you and your wife) may be there too.

I'd also like to taste both great barbecue and "real chili" and with this crowd attending, Quemado should be a good place to try both. However, I hope this topic does not lead to any fisticuffs should both DARBY and Isaac attend and Isaac makes his famous "white chicken chili". grin

John

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can tell you first hand Darby's chili is top notch!!!
Might be the best I've ever had.

Last edited by THOMASMAGNUM; 02/20/12. Reason: spelung der....
IC B3

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM
I can tell you first hand Darby's chili is top notch!!!
Might be the best I've every had.

High praise indeed.

Via the internet, DARBY has been doing his best to educate this poor dumb Swede regarding how to make proper chili.

A bowl from the Master himself would be awesome!

John

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
safariman - 318 miles and about 5.5 hours to the Grand Canyon from Quemado - add about 20 minutes from Quemado Lake.

There are no "full hook up" RV places within 35 miles of the lake. But, we probably can ID some comfortable options for you and your wife. Not to worry.

It is good that so many more may be with us this year. If folks keep signing up, especially with RVs, last year's space right AT the lake may get cozy - remains to be seen. But, the nearby options are excellent - this is in the Apache National Forest.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
For once I am forced to agree with Tommy about my chili.

John, I hope you can attend and enjoy some of this fine product.

The same goes for you, Mark - hope things work out and you can show up. The road from Grand Canyon to Quemado goes through Show Low, you know.

We have already pointed out to young Jon Boy that it would probably be a really good idea to leave the weird pink foot things at home.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mr. Humble himself shows up wink
Glad to see you around buddy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Darby, good to see you here. Where have you been, buddy?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Darby comes out of left field with the zinger! They are green sir! and i'm going to wear them again this year out of spite! I think i'll go run a 10K the day before in them so i have some ammo for you guys!

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

SIGN ME UP! Id love to try it. Plus, i think a rifle would be ok. I once seen a accident with a contender in 45-70 and some hot loads that would make you cringe.

Jon

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, I've benched a #1 in .375, and I've seen the photos of the little hippie chick shooting the .416, so I ain't skeered.

(not that I'd admit to being skeered, that is grin )

I could likely whip up some 350gr/24gr Lil'Gun loads for the .480. They're pretty frisky.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like lots of fun to be had.

Next, to find an 'unclimbable' hill according to the 4 wheeler guys so that all of us can enjoy a relaxing ride up to the top while seated comfortably and smiling all the while atop my Rokon. Anyone here up for that as well? MAybe after the shooting is done, we can take turns climbing straight up the burm or some such. I am getting excited about the possibilities, I sure hope I get to come, toys with smile

If wifey and thusly the camping trailer come, ya'll will also get to meet Goober the bird brain dog and our coyote mix or 'coydog' as some call them, Gracie. They both love pulled pork, too!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
� How many want to sign on to try out my hot loaded 416 Rigby with handloads that approximate 416 Weatherby ballistics. Its FUN, I tell ya! (to watch OTHERS shooting it..... smile )

Howell's First Law of Physics � The load is always lighter when the other fellow totes it.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Page 9 of 32 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 31 32

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 61 invisible), 2,287 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,384
Posts18,488,634
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.