Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Bog Pod camo legged version. It has the screw in and out feet with sharp pegs for hard ground. I like the inch markers on the legs too. I have also found it useful to rest my binos on while glassing, sometimes for a few hours. It beats resting them on your knees that long.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just looked up the Primos Trigger sticks as I had not heard of them. I like the concept!

Will have to get a set and put them to use.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Boise,

Bog Pods come in several versions, bipod as well as tripod, as well as different releases for adjusting the legs.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Used the Long Grass sticks and they worked fine. Spent the summer shooting my 22 over them to get comfortable. However, the Bog Pod looks more refined and a swivel head seems like a good idea. With the LG sticks, if the critter moved you had to reposition also.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
You can use the Bog Pod tripod as a monopod, bipod or tripod depending on how you hold it. There is a velcro strap that will hold two or three legs together. Sometimes I used it as a shortened monopod in the open Land Rover for photos. Even though my DSLR lenses have vibration resistence, it made still made for sharper pictures on close up shots.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Boise,

Bog Pods come in several versions, bipod as well as tripod, as well as different releases for adjusting the legs.

Seems they are offering a good number of product variation for the various user - always a good marketing plan.

What about noise? My brother carried a rest and it was alway clanking against one thing or another.

I use my internal frame pack most often as a rest but have never carried it in Africa where my guide had shooting sticks. On all four of my hunts the PH carried two sticks lashed together.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Boise
Two sticks tied together with a leather strip carried by a crusty old PH.

yup!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I took my Long Grass sticks because I used them to practice (a lot) before I went. PH really liked them and carried them instead of his. I don't think they make them anymore however. Buy what you like, shoot off of them before you go, and take them with you.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"shoot off of them before you go, and take them with you."

It was either Jorge or Ingwe who told me the best piece of equipment to use was a waste high pile of fired brass before I left. That is especially true if you plan on using sticks. They can prove unwieldy if you are not used to them.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Any thoughts on a mono-pod?

Seem like they'd add a bit of stability from offhand and be a bit quicker into action than a bi/tri pod.

Stupid should hurt.
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by ballistic_ken

Seem like they'd add a bit of stability from offhand and be a bit quicker into action than a bi/tri pod.
It's akin to a woman with B cup...better than your left hand but it aint a D cup

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As noted above, the Bog Pod can be used as a tri - bi - and mono pod depending on how many legs are depoloyed. I use mine as a walking staf initially and it is easily used as a mono pod - not necessarily by using the yoke which is a bit high when the legs are not deployed but by grasping the staff against your palm using your fingers with thumb and first finger to steady the rifle. Works very well as a quick standing rest.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I love my stoney point tripod. I bought it for Africa, but have taken it on almost every hunt since. Extends tall enough to shoot standing but easily fits in the pack when collapsed.

I've shot more the yotes with them, but these are the only pics I have of the stoney point.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ballistic_ken

I have only ever had one hunter use a mono-pod. We found it worked better to stabalize the camera for that hunter. The stability was questionable after walking briskly, putting up the sticks, rifle on top (of course the same drill with other shooting sticks also) but the problem was that it keeled over to the left or the right. Same problem when the hunter leaned into the shot, and after a shot was fired and a rechamber was required the stick would fall over. Maybe it will work better for someone else.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland[Linked Image</div><div class=" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

Requireing some specs on that rifle.

I use a set of bamboo sticks held together with rubber band. Furnished a loop that has them open up for a standing shot and serves to hold them together when stowed.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Tang safety ruger 77 RSI in 250 savage with a 4X mini burris.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Just got the Camo Bog Pod from Natchez($89.99) thet are awesome don't know why I havn't got them sooner!

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Can't see any reason to take any to Africa. Just more clap trap in the luggage.

I shoot just as well with the PH's bipod which takes less time to set up. As someone noticed, move back and forth a little (with the bipod) to change elevation.

I shoot just as well offhand as using a monopod.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I always take a set to Africa now. On one trip a previous client left a set of the wobbliest things I have ever tried and the PH put them to use but I hated them.
I have seen all kinds in Africa but I prefer to bring my own now.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I like the bog pod the best. The only problem I had was the old style v head was easy to break in shipment. I carried two sets and both of the v gun rests broke. A little duct tape and I was in business. I carried two sets so I could use one set for my kids. These shine in adjusting for proper height.

I have been carrying the Primos Trigger Stick daily on the farm for the last few months to test and they show promise. The only negative is they occasionally slip. You can strap both legs together as a monopod or walking stick so this is a positive but the slipping issue as a bipod at times makes it hard to recommend on a safari. It does adjust quick and does well in and out of a vehicle deploying fast.
Sticks are the cheapest part of the hunt but don't let that diminish it's value on a safari by choosing lightly

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

319 members (163bc, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1badf350, 34 invisible), 1,841 guests, and 1,024 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,980
Posts18,499,631
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.