-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Well I should be migrating back from Afghanistan in late SEP early OCT and was curious as to everyone's thoughts of tagging a fall blackie in unit 16. Last year I was on the predator control program and managed to pull 1 blackie in july (meat was great). near my bait site I had set up. But after being gone for a year with minimal baiting done on the site I am concerned that I may be too late to keep the bears coming in at my site. I know I went up to the bait site in Sept/Oct last year and we had some signs of activity but I had not been baiting it since july/august (we went up there to cut some brush back and widen the trail in). What are your thoughts if I go all out with some high stench bait to pull in a fall blackie? I really want to test out my new rifle AlaskanMatt picked up for me (Tikka T3 Stainless LH 30-06).

[Linked Image]

"Duty, Honor, Country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be."
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Can you bait in 16 in Sept/Oct?

I'd expect better odds up in the berry patch that time of year.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
bender if I run the pred control again you can bait that time but it will be for a very limited time frame due to when the season closes. my site is literally in the middle of a blueberry patch so we do have high traffic but last year most of our visitors were brownies

[Linked Image]

"Duty, Honor, Country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ironbender
Can you bait in 16 in Sept/Oct?

I'd expect better odds up in the berry patch that time of year.

There is a fall bait season. However, a permit must be applied for at least 15 days prior to the July 1st opening. So, if the OP isn't returning till September, that pretty much rules him out for this fall. But, he could still hunt the berry patch, which would've been my suggestion, too. I would imagine that late in the fall (September/October) most of those bears are going to be somewhat high.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Many people believe that the majority of black bears go up high for the late fall to feed then den up. It's easier to see them there than down low, certainly. I have come into contact with many dens down low and much black bear scat and other spoor during the Sept/Oct time frame. I believe that, if food sources are abundant enough, these bears will stay with the vittles, with no need for migrating upward.

With that said, I don't see baiting as an overwhelming problem. If the poster has a pard that can register the site and get it started (he/she must have the baiting certificat of course)any other hunter may be allowed to hunt it at any time...they need only have their name and address listed on the State permitting documents.

As a side note- perhaps take the Tikka and bag one of the brown bears as well. UE("ungulate enhancement") is a good thing anywhere wink

BearKiller, be safe, return to us safe, and fill that freezer with sausage when you get back!

best,
bhtr

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I've heard that chili bear-de is a good use too.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Works for me...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have yet to try that.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I usually make at least a few bears worth every year... it doesn't suck...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'll be hunting around Seldovia in mid-May for blackies and if I get one I'll have to hit you up for the recipe. I love chili, especially if it has a bite to it. And we actually last week just finished the last of the previous black bear that was in the freezer. Jalapeno and cheese bear hot dogs rock.

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Yah that's the main goal is to fill the freezer 3 kids+wife and myself on 1 income it really does help to fill the freezer up. We went through 2 bears worth of meat last year and the kids refused beef for about 2 months because they loved the bear meat so much more. I am planning on bringing my brownie tag just in case a target of opportunity rears its fuzzy face.

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (219DW, 1234, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 54 invisible), 2,427 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,353
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.