Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I just read on another thread about a recent artcle on the .280 Rem possibly spurring intrest any one post the story.
or can some one give me a summary of the artcle. I am a big
.280 fan and some how missed this artcle Thanks.

HR IC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wolfe publications will be glad to sell you an issue of the magazine.

In a few words: the 280 is on death watch as the 270 WCF will do everything (with today's bullets) that it will and Remington killed it off by bringing out the 7mm remmag.

Nice niche cartridge but will be forgotten when the 7x57 and 7mm remmag are still going strong. Heck in my "ute" I even owned a custom FN in 7mm-06 long before the 280 was dreamed of. Nice rifle but just a 7x64 in a slightly shorter case.

While many of us have bulging gun safes, if push came to shove a CZ 30-06 topped with a $800 4X would do everything needed to be done.

The really good article in that issue, by JB, is on why the 375 H&H is the best all around medium bore cartridge ever made.

Hey NSAQAM, Larry is very "IN", LOL
You also dishonor the 28th division by using the unit patch as an insult.
As for the liar, welcher Bricktop, his day is fast approaching.
Coward trolls won't accept PMs.
How's the phantom "campfire" coming ?
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My local emporium only has the Feb 2012 issue on the shelves... and it ain't about the 280 Rem... smile guess i will have to wait...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wolfe publishes THREE magazines.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Well, two worth reading....

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by interthem
Wolfe publishes THREE magazines.

Shouldn't you be out standing on a ledge..

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The .280 is getting a lot of publicity for a dead cartridge...

Actually, it's only dead in the minds of the ignorant and those who have be mesmerized by the powers of the '06 and .270

(not that there is anything wrong with either of them). Gotta be careful of what you say around here!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, you have to have a "hook" to get someone who is browsing to read your article. Prognosticating the imminent demise of a very good round that a number of folks find useful is one way to get people to read your work...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Haviland has been writing about as long as I've been reading gun magazines...and I remember at least three occasions where he wrote articles about the .280 and its near demise. The first one was in the early '80's, I'm thinking, and he runs it about every 10 years. It was an ignorant, if mildly sucessful, effort then and remains so every time. I'm sure he enjoys telling the story of its demise, and I know many like to read it, but the .280 is running a steady succcess and will continue to for the visible future. After all -- we're selling more kinds of rifles, not fewer, these days.

I've been shooting a .280 for around 30 years, have owned three or four, and am extremely unlikely to do without one. And there is absolutely no reason to not own one.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's a plot. Conspiracy theory. .280 sales are down; pay a writer to say it's dying; all the rifle loonies rise up to preserve it; and the .280 lives to see another day! Oh, never mind. I still like it dead or alive.

Last edited by John_Boy; 02/23/12.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
IC B3

R
R
I sort of like mine too muledeer!
Originally Posted by muledeer
Haviland has been writing about as long as I've been reading gun magazines...and I remember at least three occasions where he wrote articles about the .280 and its near demise. The first one was in the early '80's, I'm thinking, and he runs it about every 10 years. It was an ignorant, if mildly sucessful, effort then and remains so every time. I'm sure he enjoys telling the story of its demise, and I know many like to read it, but the .280 is running a steady succcess and will continue to for the visible future. After all -- we're selling more kinds of rifles, not fewer, these days.

I've been shooting a .280 for around 30 years, have owned three or four, and am extremely unlikely to do without one. And there is absolutely no reason to not own one.

Dennis

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't think anyone suggested it was a bad cartridge, it just does not do anything that other far more popular cartridges can. It's relationship to the 270 is quite like the 32 Special's to the 30-30. Just about the same but tons and tons more 30-30s out there.

If you want one, have one, just don't be trying to buy ammo for it in bumfk nowhere after the airline loses your ammo. (In the store that has 3 or 4 varieties of 270s on the shelf).

Can't understand why people get so wound up over nothing. Rather reminds me of what Honest Abe said about Mary Todd........

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Can't understand why people get so wound up over nothing.

Wow. I didn't see that happening. Seemed like a few 280 users just spoke up.

Hard to imagine anybody getting wound up over an article nobody can even find, in a magazine nobody reads, by a writer nobody ever quotes.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"Hard to imagine anybody getting wound up over an article nobody can even find, in a magazine nobody reads, by a writer nobody ever quotes."

Among the most uninformed comments ever posted !

While I understand Rifle, Handloader and Successful Hunter are not stocked at your "Naked girls show it all" magazine store, any shooter who knows sheit from Shinola and reads any gun magazines, probably reads these. In fact, in this SAME issue was an excellent article on the 375 H&H by JB.

I'm gonna make it easy for you to find, here's picture....

[Linked Image]

I'll even give you the page numbers !

26 .280 Remington
Classic Cartridges -
John Haviland

56 The .375 Is 100!
A Medium Bore of
the Century Variety
John Barsness

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I wouldn't mind reading JB's article on the 375. I am sure there are some gems to be found in it, but at this stage I have read enough articles about the 375 that I probably wouldn't buy the magazine for that alone.

I have found many such gems over the years, where I can still recall the writer, the particular article, and the exact quote.

But I don't recall a single one from John Haviland. In-fact, I barely remember reading anything from John Haviland at all.

And FWIW you really ought to try a woman sometime . . . it's never too late to change.

Oh, and BTW . . . welcome to the fire grin

_

Last edited by WhelenAway; 02/24/12.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hmm, you couldn't find the magazine but you can hand out cheap insults. Mark of a REAL man !

BTW, if you have a 30-06, you don't need a 270 or a Whelen, certainly not a 280 !

As for women. I prefer sheep, like all guys from Wyoming.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I think I'll keep my 270, my 35 Whelen, and at least 3 of my 30-06, even if I decide to add a 280.

I have no desire to become a one-rifle sheep-[bleep] like you grin

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Gee fellows. Does this mean I have to tell my custom 1909 Argie that it's dead because it's a .280 Rem.? It hasn't even had a chance to get blooded yet. And here I was planning to take it on an antelope hunt this year if the money frees up and gas prices go down.
Well, if that's the case, you're all invited to the funeral.
Seriously, I do have to wonder how it would have fared if Remington had not downloaded it for the semi-auto rifle, and then ambushed it with the 7MM Rem. Mag.? But then that's not the only Remington screw up.
I see Mr. Haviland has an article on the .270 and 130 gr. bullets in Successful Hunter. I haven't had a chance to read it yet but as I prefer 150 gr. bullets in my .270s, I guess he and I may have to agree to disagree.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wonder how the .280 would have fared if it had been introduced before the .270 on a bolt action rifle and J.O'C had wrung it out first. I think this would have been a much different conversation about what essentially are two peas in the same pod with possibly a slight advantage going to the .280 due to a broader selection of bullet weights.
Maybe Havilands article would have then been about the death of the .270............
BD

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If only Remington outbid Winchester for JOC's testimony

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 163bc, 1234, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,254 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,996
Posts18,499,975
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.