Page 1 of 2 1 2
#6206503 02/22/12
M
mw406 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I feel like I owe someone a very big apology. In 1917 or so, a guy proudly walked out of a sporting goods store with a beautiful Savage 250-3000. He was likely the envy of is hunting pals for having that "hot little number". He had no way of knowing that 95 years latter some "oaf" would slip on some ice under the snow while coyote hunting and drop that gun on frozen ground. I show you the results with a heavy heart. It's a lot worse than it looks. The wrist is almost broke in half as well. I attest the stupid "s..t eatin' grin" on my face to being pure disbelief and utter shock.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sorry to hear that, very painful to see. Glad you got out of it okay.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mw406
I feel like I owe someone a very big apology. In 1917 or so, a guy proudly walked out of a sporting goods store with a beautiful Savage 250-3000. He was likely the envy of is hunting pals for having that "hot little number". He had no way of knowing that 95 years latter some "oaf" would slip on some ice under the snow while coyote hunting and drop that gun on frozen ground. I show you the results with a heavy heart. It's a lot worse than it looks. The wrist is almost broke in half as well. I attest the stupid "s..t eatin' grin" on my face to being pure disbelief and utter shock.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It CAN be repaired but you will NEVER forget it. One of the hazards and consequences of hunting. Sorry it happened to you AND the rifle.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Ouch!!!
Look on the bright side....could have been you.

Last edited by gregintenn; 02/22/12.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Oh my. Perhaps a stock wizard can glue it in such a manner that it'll only be visible on close inspection. Oh my, again. frown

May I advise not to throw the stock away. Glue the broken bits back on and A) continue using it for hunting, B) use said repaired stock as a pattern to have a new one made (at the same time providing a service for others who need that style stock to be made).

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Im sad for you, thats a real bummer.
This fella knows just how you feel!
[Linked Image]

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Wow, sucks , but Id just glue it back togather wrap it tight with strips of inter tube, wont be pretty but should work after all its a hunting gun!
Guess I should add to unwrap and remove the inter tube after its dry! grin

Last edited by saddlering; 02/22/12.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
O U C H !!!

I'd spend the money to have a pro do it right. Should be as strong as ever if done correctly.

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Man, hate to see that but, glad nothing broke on mw406! I'm sure it is repairable as a matter of fact, wasn't someone not long ago displaying work done by Bose of Nebraska?

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
D
That does suck. At least you are OK physically......

Note for all those that hunt with the really nice 99's. Send them to me for safe keeping. Especially K's and T's and the like...... whistle

I can keep them out harms way for ya.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Coyote's revenge!
Good luck with getting her back to shooting form.

Bruce
E
EJE Offline
E
There are many men that can repair that and you will not even know it was broken, Stock fixers in Colo, a Wolf in Tx and I have a man here in Michigan that would make that repair disappear. Eric

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is the guy that will get her all fixed up for you...!!! Rob is a genius with repairs like this...!!!

BOSES GUN STOCKS...!!! CLICK ON ME...!!!

Mike...!!!

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<
yar Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad your ok! That stock is totally repairable. I know how frustrating that must be, been there done that. Try these guys www.stockfixrs.com. I have done some of the work myself and its worth the effort. someone whos been do it for a while can make it undetectable once repaired. I think its worth it , the gun remains original.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MW:

Still thinking about getting that crispy 300 G out? grin

Sorry to hear about the gun, glad nothin broke on you wink

Last edited by 99guy; 02/22/12.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Made me sick for you seeing the pics.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Certainly looks bad but the right guy can fix it up nicely. I hope your post is viewed by those guys who post the question - should I hunt this high condition rifle or not? This is the, "unexpected" I was referring to.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
....don't fret too much, the rifle is a gray rat...no finish, clearly refinished, not a peep that belongs and barrel looks cut down.

smirk

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Reconstructive surgery, convalescence care and then physical therapy. It'll live.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rgr223cal
This is the guy that will get her all fixed up for you...!!! Rob is a genius with repairs like this...!!!

BOSES GUN STOCKS...!!! CLICK ON ME...!!!

Mike...!!!

I can vouch for Rob. This guy is top of the line. Done some amazing work for me.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

400 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 17Fan, 53 invisible), 2,740 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,411
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.