Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Hello All,

I have some issues that I need help with.

1) I have neglected by dies for some time. I'm sure that some of them have rust by the looks at checking one last night.

Question1: Can I just tear the dies down OOOO steel wool them oil and re-assemble without loosing precision?

Question2: When I go to use them again do I need to clean the oil out?

2)My reloading room is being located to a basement. It's an open basement with duct work. No finished walls or the such. There is a minor humidity issue down there but I'm hoping the newly installed furnace will take care of it. It's relatively minor.

Question1: Is the electrical wire running between the joists going to affect my scale?

Question2: Are the ducts blowing air into the house going to affect my scale?

Question3: What should I do to avert disaster with my equipment and the small amount of moisture?

Question4: Anything else I need to know?

3) I'm looking for an affordable safe. I'm going to take my time. All the guns are going into cases.

Question1: Is light oil and a silicon gun sock the best method to store the guns into cases while I find a safe?

That is all I can think of for the time being. I'm sure I'll have other questions.

Thanks

Tom

Last edited by statjunk; 02/23/12.
HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tear down your dies and clean them up. They may or may not still be good. Remove the oil before use.

Blowing air will affect your scale while in use. In the summer even with a moderate wind I have to close the windows to keep the scale still.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Don't store your gun in cases.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
To polish your dies, I suggest you use Flitz or JB Bore Paste on a patch, wrapped around an old bore brush and spun in a drill. I spin mine until the die gets quite warm in my hand. Either paste leaves a protective film of oil behind, as an added bonus.

In high-humidity places, you can store your dies in an ammo box. Get a supply of VPI chips and put one or two inside each die box. (The factory did. That's what that little tan piece of wad in the box is.)

Your wiring shouldn't affect a digital scale, but a fluorescent light might. I have a two-tube light over my reloading bench and it has no effect, but I'm told that some do. Some appliances affect digital scales: clothes dryers, motors, and anything that generates radio waves. If your scale drifts a lot, try turning various things off (better yet, unplug them!) until you find the culprit.

Huge agreement to NEVER store guns in soft cases. You WILL rust them.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by statjunk
Hello All,

I have some issues that I need help with.

1) I have neglected by dies for some time. I'm sure that some of them have rust by the looks at checking one last night.

Question1: Can I just tear the dies down OOOO steel wool them oil and re-assemble without loosing precision?

Depends on how much rust is inside the die. Dies are cheap so don't fret if too much rust.

Question2: When I go to use them again do I need to clean the oil out?

A thin coat is all you need if at all from time to time once you get working them. Run a patch up there and wipe them off quick (assuming you don't set them and forget them)

2)My reloading room is being located to a basement. It's an open basement with duct work. No finished walls or the such. There is a minor humidity issue down there but I'm hoping the newly installed furnace will take care of it. It's relatively minor.

Question1: Is the electrical wire running between the joists going to affect my scale?

I can't see why this would be a problem.

Question2: Are the ducts blowing air into the house going to affect my scale?

Maybe, but it's easy to build something to deflect the air flow.

Question3: What should I do to avert disaster with my equipment and the small amount of moisture?

Buy a dehumidifier and keep tabs on all of your gear...

Question4: Anything else I need to know?

Tons. Would be based on what questions you want to ask.

3) I'm looking for an affordable safe. I'm going to take my time. All the guns are going into cases.

Question1: Is light oil and a silicon gun sock the best method to store the guns into cases while I find a safe?

Short term probably no issues. When it becomes more humid, I like my stuff where I can easily see it. Keep tabs on all of your gear!

That is all I can think of for the time being. I'm sure I'll have other questions.

Thanks

Tom

Tom, my opinions in red.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
1- should work, use brake cleaner to dry them out afterwards.

2-wires-no; air currents-yes.

3-that's what I use. side benefit is less dings. FWIW, I keep a couple or three pounds of rice in a stocking laying on the bottom of my safe floor.

Aim for the exit hole.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
1- should work, use brake cleaner to dry them out afterwards.

Brake cleaner strips them so clean that they're almost guaranteed to rust in the presence of any humidity unless something is done to preserve them. Please be careful.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Eezox will keep rust off your guns and dies!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The brake cleaner dries up the rusty oil and steel wool hairs so it can be wiped out with a clean cloth. Then once over with a rag lightly moist with Kroil will keep them happy for a long time.

Aim for the exit hole.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Toss your dies in your tumbler and see how they look after a couple hours. The tumbling can do a pretty good job if they aren`t pitted too bad.
If you put your safe on the concrete floor the cold will seep up and can cause condensation in it. Be sure to invest in a dehumidifier for the safe if you place it in the basement.

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There's been a number of good responses and I'll try to offer maybe another one or two, 1) Get your safe off the concrete floor and place a couple of pieces of 2x4's under it and then bolt your safe down through the lumber, concrete wicks moisture and cold, the lumber is a barrier with a air space between. 2) put a golden rod or other device inside your safe to help provide some dehumidification and keep the interior of your safe a bit dryer.
Good luck,
BD

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I agree lots of great advice given. I will definetly be getting a golden rod. I'm not sure if I'm going to put the safe in the basement. I haven't decided on that yet. I have the room in a closet on the first floor to keep it up there.

As for the dies. They should only have minor rust issues like very light surface. I just looked into one and saw that it had brown in it. So tonight i'm going to tear them all down one by one steel wool oil and re-assemble.

I don't have a choice on the cases. At least for the short run. That is why I'm spending the money on the silicon gun socks.

BTW - What are the opinions on the silicon guns socks?

Thanks to all.

Tom

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Other than for transport, any kind of case, sock or other covering is a mistake. They trap moisture that occurs from condensation, and promote rusting, FAR better to give a wipedown with a good preventative and keep the gun in the open.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You can cut a piece of card board to put a "wall around you scale to keep the wind drift off the scale, cut it high enough to protect the scale. My Lyman scale has a drift cover that I can fold down over it, not sure which scale your running but it may have a cover?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
get a good dehumidifier for the basement. I have a drive out basement, unfinished and cinderblock walls that have a couple moisture spots on them. I put a dehumidifier down there and there is a world of difference in the moisture. Nothing rusting or molding any more. It's a 2400 sq ft basement area too.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Hello All,

I went through my dies a day ago and only two of them had been attacked by rust. There was very little at that. So that small amount I saw in the opening to one of the dies was a good sign that I need to take better care of them.

I'll be moving everything into the basement in the next three months or so.

My plan is to oil all the guns. Then put them in the gun sock. Then use a gold bar in the safe. Is this not a good approach?

Thanks

Tom

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Anybody want to comment on the oil+gun sock+gold bar method?

Tom

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
get a good dehumidifier for the basement. I have a drive out basement, unfinished and cinderblock walls that have a couple moisture spots on them. I put a dehumidifier down there and there is a world of difference in the moisture. Nothing rusting or molding any more. It's a 2400 sq ft basement area too.

Although a dehumidifier has been mentioned earlier, its worth bringing up again. So many people could use a good dehumidifier for their basement regardless if they reload!! Moisture in a basement is a killer. Buy a decent machine, toss the plastic reservoir in the trash and hook up a hose to the back of the dehu and send the water to a sump pump or floor drain.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 71 invisible), 2,296 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,672
Posts18,513,175
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.