Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Does anyone use a bubble level mounted to their rifle or scope?

I think I need one. I have really bad vision and my crosshairs look like they are leaning when they aren't. My scopes are mounted without cant. They were mounted with an EXD ENGINEERING VERTICAL RETICLE INSTRUMENT and a plumb line, then checked by shooting at a target with a plumb line while adjusting the elevation turrets. It's not the set-ups, it's me.

I was looking online at a bubble level called the ScopeLevel. It mounts on the front of your scope and is folded down against the scope when not in use. When you want to shoot, you swing it up so it is now a few inches above your scope and you ca see it from position. It is made from plastic, so I don't know how durable it is.

The other product is from Sinclair. It is called an offset level. It looks like a scope ring with a bubble built into it. It says you can see it from position and it is made from aluminum.

Does anyone have experience with either of these products? (I am not interested in a more expensive option right now.)
Thanks

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have 2 of those and they are still sitting in my safe. I sold a Leica Geovid Rangefinder to the guy that makes the ScopeLevel model and he came to my house from California to pick it up. His truck was outfitted like nothing I have seen with tool boxes and slides that were full of rifles, cleaning supplies, benches, and everything else Cabela's would try to sell you.

He was a real nice guy, invited me to go with them on their prairie dog expedition and left me with 2 of the sight levels. I don't think they are anything I would use, so if you want one let me know and it is yours. I have a 30mm and a 1 inch level...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
check out the US optics level, I have the one that folds back out of the way. my crosshairs also don't look level when I look through the scope.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What I nice offer, Shrapnel!
PM incoming.

CC, thanks and I'll look up the US Optics model.

I've been trying to learn to shoot with things looking a little counter-clockwise in the scope, but it is hard to repeat it for long range playing around.

Last Saturday I was shooting out to 6. I was shooting through my chrono and used the bottom of the sky screens to keep my reticle level. It worked fine (sub MOA all the way out), but need something (a bubble?) for when I'm not using the chrono.

I'll give Shrapnel's ScopeLevel a try.

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've used them shooting from a bench and for precision shooting they are an aid. Especially since you're not in a hurry. I can't imagine dicking around with one of them whilst shooting at game.

Aim for the exit hole.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Useful for longrange precision shooting other than that no need for them. I have one on my 1,000 + yard rifle.

1 and done
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have this one on both of my FTR match rifles:

[Linked Image]

I installed on on the Picatinny rail on the left hand side. So, when I aim with my right eye, I can see the anti-cant device with my left eye without moving. It's $23 at MidwayUSA.

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Check out the holland level also. Very well made and I love mine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Springfield Armory scopes have built in bubble levels at the bottom of the crosshairs. Pretty convenient.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lol

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I use a tube mounted type.

[Linked Image]

I find it useful in uneven terrain where no visual references to horizontal or vertical are available.

I've set up for shots, and checked the level to find what I 'thought' was level, was a full bubble off.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
This is the way I installed the side bubble on mine. Makes it easy to see using my left eye.

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
That makes good sense.

I have a Vortex offset tube-mounted bubble on my 16X Super Sniper.

Of course being a lefty, I have the bubble on the starboard side. I can read it from the shooting position too.

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ftr I like that bubble setup. Just a few questions though. How do you ensure its reading true level? Is it adjustable?

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
It is not adjustable, you just need to make sure you install it correctly (make sure nothing is caught under it.) I checked it with other levels once it was installed. Just remember that if it is a bit off, it would be the same offset for every shot, but it's better to start level.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
MM, I like that Vortex device, looks nice. As noted earlier US Optics makes some also, but they are very proud of them. $$$

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by FTR_Shooter
MM, I like that Vortex device, looks nice. As noted earlier US Optics makes some also, but they are very proud of them. $$$

I agree the US Optics are pricy and just M 2ct not worth it, I've had them and sold them!

FTR, quick question on the Midway, does it move, tork while tightening it?

I use the ones that are offset from Sinclair on my F-Class rigs

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
There is just a single screw on the end and I did not experience any torquing effect mounting them on my rifles.

It's really very simplistic, nothing to adjust, nothing to mess up. One has been on the rifle pictured above for about 5 years now (several thousand rounds and scores of matches,) and the other has been on a bigger bolt action rifle for about 3 years now (also several thousand rounds and scores of matches.) I have not had to mess with them since I mounted them on the rifles and that takes but a few seconds to do.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
I saw an add a day or two ago for a scope cap with a built in level. Made specifically for Leupold scopes IIRC, but don't quote me on that.

If I come across the link I'll pass it along.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 2,491 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,195
Posts18,485,082
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.