Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 32 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 31 32
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
question,im bringing several guns, what do they have for a gun range? long range? short range? hand guns? targets? what can i bring to help out?rio7

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is no formal range. We will be shooting on public land.
Last year we had a pretty nice set up with three different areas to shoot.
1. short range with targets stapled to a pallet about 20-25yards
[Linked Image]

2. 100+/- yards to a gong hung in a tree.
(couldn't find a pic)

3. There was a target placed at roughly 300yards on the side of a rock bluff where the rock face meets the scree.
[Linked Image]

Mudhen & Dennisinaz I hope you don't mind I borrowed your photos from the pic thread from last years fun.

Last edited by THOMASMAGNUM; 02/23/12. Reason: photo credit
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RIO7 - Tom is playing it down - tis a very formal range deal. We all drive up a two track between some juniper/pinyon/ponderosa covered ridges, with nice big rock faces looming here and there - gather the pickups in a clearing and unload all sorts of interesting shooting goodies to share - custom loads and all. Some guys set up those three shooting lanes (we leave that 300 yard item up on the rock face for the young ones), others deal with shooting benches and tripods, and others tinker with the firearms and scopes.

With the possibility of more guys coming this year, we may need a shooting traffic manager if not a range-master. Well ---- Naaah ! Last year everone was way savvy and safe, and we had no miscues.

Then the fun starts. Darby and Border Doc will show off their shooting with some beautiful revolvers (Kent will show his excellence with those as well) and Tom will get our attention with his TC 10" in 45/70 - Ben likes that one and will, no doubt, shoot it again. And, that does not even begin to cover the handguns.

The gong at 100 yards seemed a little big, so maybe a bit farther out - or maybe a smaller disc this year - or both. Must say it is unique and big fun with handguns, carbines and all sorts of rifles going in what seems like all directions. Some very good shooting done.

Thanks for offering to bring stuff. Hard to tell what will be needed but target frames, another shooting bench or maybe a bit smaller gong on two chains could be good. Just watch this thread - it will shape up as we go and you will know how to contribute to the "formality".

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
PW, I'll bring that Contender but certainly with milder loads than those awful leverevolution loads I had.... They were just too vicious in that gun.
I will bring the 7-30 Waters set-up as well like I did in S.V., that is just so fun with those Nosler Ballistic Tips.

I hope you will bring your Contender as well.
Have you been doing much with it?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll climb that 300 yard bluff with my Rokon, then base jump it with a pillowcase for a parachute..... Did I mention that I am close kin to Jeff Corliss?

NOT smile

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jonny "toe-shoes" Graham climbed it in these...
[Linked Image]

grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I recall one guy I saw ~20 years ago, who had a .45-70 Contender and some funky handmade grips at the range. He insisted the recoil wasn't that bad, but oddly he was trying to sell it at the next gun show...

I keep threatening to buy a #1 in .450 Nitro. They reportedly weigh 8 lbs or so. grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Be fun if you Arizona guys could get Oops to attend smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I'll bet that Greg could get away and Queenie probably wants some more green chile burritos.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hi Tom - that initial 7mm TCU load used in SV was unrefined and a bit wild - no time to test and compare before we got there, and I am still a novice in shooting those things offhand. But, I love them and have been working to refine it. Have since bought a nice carbine barrel or so - looking forward to trying that style.

safariman - just get yourself, wife and thr Rokon down here safe and sound- we'll try to hold you back from the really dangerous stuff - like Darby's chile.

tex n cal - Oops sure knows folks want him at the gathering, and some of us will be trying to be sure he is.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Piece of cake if somebody TRUSTWORTHY will go "security sit" his place for three or four days, so that he can leave it for a while. (Can't leave it unattended for that long if he expects to find it all there when he gets back!)

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM
PW, I'll bring that Contender but certainly with milder loads than those awful leverevolution loads I had.... They were just too vicious in that gun. �

Sho' wish that Lee Jurras'd come and bring some of his "Howdah" pistols and ammo. They make the .45-70 seem down-right mild. You can't hold onto one of 'em with just one hand. Takes two, preferably with gloves. But fun to shoot!

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
PW, I'll bring that Contender but certainly with milder loads than those awful leverevolution loads I had.... They were just too vicious in that gun. �

Sho' wish that Lee Jurras'd come and bring some of his "Howdah" pistols and ammo. They make the .45-70 seem down-right mild. You can't hold onto one of 'em with just one hand. Takes two, preferably with gloves. But fun to shoot!

You and me both my friend. I've long admired Mr. Jurras and have wanted to see one of his Howdah behemoths first hand.

Paul how do like that scope from you got from camerland?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This brief video always gives me a chuckle:

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
This brief video always gives me a chuckle �

Wish I had a comparable video showing my former friend Gerry (a) sneering at us for using two hands to shoot the Howdah pistols, (b) then shooting one with his right hand (with his left hand in his pants pocket), (c) then the pistol rolling out of his hand, right over his head, and going end-over-end into a snow bank behind him.

The look on Lee's face would've camerable, too.

Fortunately, the howdah pistol didn't pick-up any scratches or gouges from its tumble among the rocks under the snow.

"Good enough" isn't.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
just wanted to know what to bring for guns, old guns, modern guns, hand guns, now i think i have an idea, what to bring, but space is limited, as im going from quemado, to a p.dog shoot up north of there. as for targets can bring paper targets, card board bad guy targets, as for food dont count on me, im the worst cook in the world, if it dont come out of a can im up the creek,but am more than willing to chip in for anything needed to drink or eat.rio7

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
[Linked Image]

grin

This year I'm just gonna get a leopard print thong and go bare foot the entire trip! ya pricks!

Jon

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We look forward seeing your Jon - even in your thong, but "print" fabrics are for the gay guys - better get an authentic leopard skin.

As for your going barefoot, seems hard to believe that you would go anywhere without your toe shoes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jmgraham1986

This year I'm just gonna get a leopard print thong and go bare foot the entire trip! ya pricks!

Jon

Hey I at least used the picture of you giving the finger.... and I didn't even mention your pink flannel. grin
Seriously though Jon looking forward to hanging out and shooting with you again.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jmgraham1986

grin

Jon

You're gonna scare the kids!!! They will be permanently scarred and have nightmares for the rest of their innocent lives! At least, grin I will....

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Page 10 of 32 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 31 32

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

440 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 39 invisible), 2,085 guests, and 1,123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,460
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.