Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
thank you for the links provided, I hope you don't feel I'm chewing upon your ankles, but do you have any links to where one purchases foodstuffs with a 25 year shelf life?

Here's the link to Nito-Pak, which sells both Mountain House and Backpackers freeze-dried food in #10 cans, both of which are rated for 25 year shelf life. If you can afford it, they have "units" put together that have a year supply of food for 1 person.

When I got into this years ago I ordered all the different foods in pouches and figured out which ones we liked and which we didn't. Then I ordered the good stuff in #10 cans. They come 6 cans to a case. Nitro Pak puts everything in unmarked boxes so as not to make it too obvious what you're getting.

For those who don't have a lot of money to spend on emergency food, you get more bang for your buck with the dehydrated food, which Nitro Pak also sells, but it has a shelf life of 8 to 15 years depending on what it is and how it's stored. If you just buy the Mountain House reserve units you'll spend up to $13 a day per person for a 2,430 calorie diet. If you do your research and buy certain freeze-dried foods and certain dehydrated foods you can provide a 2,500 calorie diet for $5 a day per person. You'll be eating rice, beans, creamed beef and crackers a lot of the time, but you'll be eating. Of course if you're caring around some extra body fat you won't need that many calories a day to start with. smile

All the information is on the Nitro Pak site, just stick it in a spreadsheet and figure out what you need.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SodFarmer
MacLorry -
It seems that our actual investment mix is more similar than I would have guessed. With the exception of the TIPS and the 25 yr shelf-life food, the remainder is very similar. My real estate investment is in a substantial number of farms, which gained 34% in value last year. I can thank the Fed for QE which is why farmland has proven to be a great place to invest. IMO I would stay away from residential realestate, as I believe that the correction in prices still has substaintial downside yet. You and I agree that the Fed is likely to continue to monetize the debt. The more money that is created, the higher commodities and thus farmland should rise. So as the price of land in dollars rises, real estate taxes will rise also. History has seen farms that were without any mortgage, lost to taxes. With that being said, precious metals are a hedge against inflation, and thus having some PMs in an investment portfolio provides insurance against rapidly rising real estate taxes. The 34% gain I saw in the falue of my farms last year can be expected to produce 34% more in real estate taxes next year. The income produced by the farms can not always be expected to rise with the value of the land.

If you not only own farms, but also live on or can quickly move to a farm, you are in a much better position than most folks.

That said, you're going to need to eat so you might want to think about putting in a good supply of food. It can be ordinary food that you'll have to rotate through on a 1 to 5 year bases depending on what it is, or you can go with the long shelf-life stuff. I think a combination is the best, and I assume you have a good well. If you need electricity to pump water you have to think about supplying that yourself. It's really a small investment and could come in handy even if the dollar / economy doesn't collapse. One scenario is a pandemic like bird flu when the best thing everyone can do is stay home for a month or two.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by fish head

Just for the sake of discussion ...

I disagree on one key point. I don't believe there will be massive starvation in an economic crises. In a worst case scenario Marshall Law and govt takeover of critical infrastructure could avert this. However, it would require fast action by the govt but as long as measures could be implemented prior to the springtime growing season we could produce more than enough food.

The US has more than ample ability to feed the population. We're a net exporter of food. The large agricultural corporations capable of producing vast quantities of basic foods make this even more viable than in the days of small family owned farms. The corporate systems of transportation, wholesalers and supermarkets limits the number of entities that would need to be regulated, subsidized or given priorities to in order to remain functional. Think Walmart, General Mills, Kraft Foods, Tyson Foods, etc.

There would be disruptions in distribution and even chaos for a limited time but the problems could be sorted out. The US govt will never disappear and if all the resources of the govt are brought to bear almost anything can be overcome.

I fully understand the concept of "too big to fail" but the last industries to fail would be food suppliers and their related infrastructure. No matter how bad things get, people will continue to buy food. That will keep these businesses from going under ... for awhile ... at least long enough for ...

But ... What will actually happen and could the govt accomplish this? Who knows for sure.

Marshall Law is certainly possible and under those circumstances it wouldn't be farfetched for troops to go from home to home confiscating extra food, fuel, supplies, gold, silver, guns, and ammo along with anything else the government wants to control. It would be the ultimate redistribution of wealth. Take from those who have prepared and give to those who did not.

I expect a lot of 24hr members would want to fight, but if 20 troops show up in a couple of Bradley fighting vehicles it would be suicide to engage them in a gun battle.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Mac, thanks for all the information. You�ve given me some good ideas on how to protect my family well beyond the idiots who think gold is the complete answer. When they come out of their hides to buy food with their gold they�ll end up dead in a ditch rather than go home with food.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Stetson -
I have been buying farms for many years, so my basis is quite reasonable. Yes, farmland prices are very high everywhere! It has been my observation, that when farmers have cash in hand, they spend it, which should keep land prices strong. The primary driver of the current high commodity prices is Quantitative Easing. As long as the Fed keeps the money pump going, Ag will remain healthy and flush with cash. I currently don't see that the Fed has any other choice but to keep printing money. The rest of the world has all but quit buying our debt at the current low interest rates, so as the debt comes due, the Fed will be the likely buyer. The same goes for our continued deficit spending. If we have to rely on the rest of the world to buy our debt, the interest rates we offer would need to be substantially higher and we simply can not afford that. If or when the Fed quits expanding the money supply, be very careful! With that being said, I see no end in sight at this time.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the links MacLorry

I'm fairly well covered in the #10 cans as well.

can't believe what a blessing hunting has been in my life and love of the outdoors just in general.

I already know what MH meals I like and the c/o ratio due to using them and other freeze dried type foods for sheep hunting for many years.

I'm also pretty comfortable about how to purfiy available water, generate some electricity and what it's like to live without running water and electricity.

truthfully I don't really ever expect to have to do any of the above for much longer than 3-6 months in this country if ever.

but it damned sure is a comfort to know that what I've enjoyed recreating at, provides life skills that many of my peers don't have a clue about.

I'm also pretty comfortable not having quick access to the 400 acres or so at my disposal. In my mind in a true SHTF scenario I don't want to be trying to farm those places, as has been mentioned here, if the gangs don't get it the gov't is apt to.

In my mind being self sufficient in the deep woods pretty much off the radar is about the best place one could hope to be if things ever got really ugly (and I hope they never do)

after the dust settles and some sense of normalcy resumes is the time to see what you have of value, stocks, bonds, pms, cash etc.

then perhaps it will indeed be time to return to my farming roots

or just resume biz endeavors or whatever.

Gath is correct, if all you have is gold for SHTF you ain't nearly prepared enough imo.

but if you can survive the nastiness (if there is any) and then have some vehicle that held wealth, whether TIPS accounts, gold, stocks and bonds, foreign bank accounts whatever, we can go about rebuilding our country and society.

really think these discussions are good, and while one is never as prepared as one would like to be, in a true emergency, better prepardness along with a heaping helping of luck can often see you through in better fashion than most folks.

lots of good info on this thread guys, thank you

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SodFarmer
As long as the Fed keeps the money pump going, Ag will remain healthy and flush with cash.

If we can believe the FED that's going to continue well into the future. Most of the Ag stocks I track have pulled back a bit with caution of falling commodities. Then again some of these Companies seem to do the down beat forecast frequently when they report.

Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
if all you have is gold for SHTF you ain't nearly prepared enough

Very true but I think most of us would say the same about just owning a single fund Vs a balanced blend of investments or just owning dried food without water or ammo. I think a lot of folks get financial investments convoluted with being prepared. Some items like Gold do have cross over value in that sense but if I was just looking for end of the world scenario investments I'd be buying pre-'64 Winchesters in 30-30. Prices have come down as others have been forced to sell in a poor economy and you can get ammo at just about any store across the land. On top of that they have a solid chance at appreciation so I could actually sell at a profit in any scenario.
Then again according to some when the day comes the FED says we have to turn in our weapons we're all gonna just run down and hand them over....

Back to the topic at hand.... The last I heard the Greek Parliament is debating the bail out deal once again and the German vote is this weekend. Germany currently saying NO to the IMF and the ESM. That's OK Geithner wants us to help out. eek
Any one wanna place a friendly wager that some small virtually unheard of country throws a wrench in the mix?
Meanwhile France and Belgium bailout Dexia and Ozzy banks get downgraded.

Last edited by Stetson; 02/24/12.
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (219DW, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 66 invisible), 2,597 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,813
Posts18,477,617
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.