Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I've always shot caplocks, but i've wanted to hunt with a flintlock for a long time. At my age. I better do it now before it's too late.

So, I just ordered a GPR .50 flint. I ordered some Goex 2f for load, and some 4F for the pan. I ordered a RMC vent liner, and some Tom Fuller flints from TOW.

Any advice to get me going will be appreciated. I've never felt like such a noob before.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
learn to how to properly set up you flintand keep them sharp . thats the biggest thing .
make you a vent pick also .
i would also recommend joining a forum like the Traditional Muzzleloading Association .
they can help put you in touch with folks in your area to help you through the learning curve as well as answer any question you may come up with
Traditional Muzzleloading Association forum
http://www.traditionalmuzzleloading...php?sid=8a9647d1bc08e7a12c646b5b71e114fe

Last edited by captchee; 02/17/12.

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks, i've been doing a lot of reading and talking. I should be ready when the gun gets here.

As for Claude's forum? Been there, done that. I used to be Capper over there. Too many egos for me.

Thanks again.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
can't add anything to what captchee said but i think most important is keeping the flint sharp too so you have a sharp edge. i try not to get my thumb on the back side of the frizzen when i close it. you don't want to get anything on that to keep the sparks from flying.

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

Q
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Q
I'm joining ya!

My parts set for a 20 ga. smoothbore arrived the other day. It's a French fusil trade gun, referred to as a type D. I got it from Larry Zornes at the Mold & Gun Shop and I am looking foward to getting it together and hunting with it. Should take well over 120 hours or more; but it will be fun! Living in central upstate NY which is Iroquois country there is a good chance some used this type of gun.
Cartchee would likely know if he is still lurking around here.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

"It's not a matter of legislating morality; it's a question of whose morality gets legislated"
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Mauser_Hunter

The TMA is not Claudes forum . No way shape or forum .
What Claude has is a forum he calls the traditional muzzle loading forum .

The Traditional Muzzle loading Association is an National Non -profit Organization which promotes the use and learning of traditional muzzleloaders . Each year the organization puts on seminars, provides grants to help educate in the use of traditional muzzle loading , attends trade shows ��... As such , part of what we do is provide an internet forum where people who have an interest can go and get instruction in a family environment about the guns , how to make them work properly and the history surrounding them
As such we do not allow on the forum , things that all to often are let to go unchecked on most other forums .
Fighting , arguing , belittling , sales banners , Pop ups ��. None of that
This isn�t to say your not allowed to disagree with someone opinion. The TMA allows that . BUT it will be done in a polite and adult fashion , with the EGO being checked at the door . When its not , its bit in the butt very quickly. Be it from a new guest OR someone who feels them self to be a expert.
Its just not acceptable or aloud .

As such we have many folks who have interests in both modern and traditional on our forum . While we do not allow discussions on modern firearms , we also do not allow threads against them unless its concerning events that our members should be informed about . Which frankly doesn�t come up all that often

Please go take a look . Registration is free . I think you will find something that you have not probably seen and defiantly NOTHING like Claudes forum

Last edited by captchee; 02/18/12.

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
My bad buddy. I'll definitely join up and participate. That's what I was looking for. I like forums that are well managed.

This forum really needs some mods. I'll have to admit to getting in squabbles here. I have a short fuse, and it's not hard to push my buttons. However, if everybody is reasonable and plays by the rules i'm easy to get along with.

Thanks for the info.

I can't wait to get in the high timber with a flintlock. I don't know why it's taken me so long to do it?

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I signed up for the forum. I'm waiting to be approved.

I also want to join the organization, but it looks like you have to print out the application, and send it in. I don't have a printer. I think the library has a printer setup on their computers.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter

I'll have to admit to getting in squabbles here. I have a short fuse, and it's not hard to push my buttons. However, if everybody is reasonable and plays by the rules i'm easy to get along with.

Ya don't say!
Hey Pete!
As far as flinters, I've had good luck using 3f for both prime and main charge.
Can't go wrong with Pierce flints too. I keep mine touched up with a dremel and a small diamond cutting wheel.
As long as it ain't "poopodex" Ha Ha.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Funny you should say that. I just ordered some of Rich's flints.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
when you get in the forum you will see a section that will lead yu through paying on line if you like . if you have any issues just as in the information forum and folks will guide you through

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I figured it out. I was trying to do it from the forum. I needed to go to the main page.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've been muzzleloading for 35 years and I got my first flinter about a year ago. A .58 caliber T/C Renegade. I'm having loads of fun with it, but there is a learning curve for sure. I also got help from the folks over at TMA. It's a good group. Nice sharp flints and a squeaky clean frizzen, clean out the touch hole with a pick in between shots. If you clean with any kind of wet patch, wet it sparingly. I use alcohol, and it works great, but it was running into the flash channel and gumming up the works. Use a minimal amount of priming powder. Shoot and learn! Enjoy your flinter!

"Feel the heart of the hunter. Feel the thrill that will cleanse the soul."
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks. I'm Muley at TMA. Say hi when you see me. smile

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
man those flinters are hard to learn, especially at your age when you are a well seasoned hard head laugh

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by bigblock455
man those flinters are hard to learn, especially at your age when you are a well seasoned hard head laugh

Speaking of hard heads. Have you got that .54 cal ball down your .53 cal barrel yet?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have been hunting, shooting and hiking with flintlocks for many years.
The 50 cal can shoot 2F or 3F, but the 2F is my favorite. Once you get your rifle look at the pan where the primer powder will be located in the pan. If it is not polished, then get some real fine sandpaper and a pencil. Use the eraser end and press the sandpaper into the pan and polish, polish, polish until it is bright. This helps in cleaning the pan for the next shot and allows the "flash" to move across the pan into the touch hole with no resistance. Besides that it just looks good. You will need to remove the lock from the stock when polishing.
I quit buying primer powder. The powder you purchase has a coating on it to reduce dust, making it safer. I take the 2F powder and using an antler or wood stopper end to smash the powder into a fine/coarse dust. This "dust" will not have the coating because you crushed it and when the flint strikes the frizzen and raises it, I believe it also pulls up some of the super fine dust. The spark drops into the dust and begins ignition quicker.
Remember it all starts in the pan, so make it as quick as possible.
I drilled out a piece of deer antler and put a wood stopper in it to keep my priming powder in. I can actually pour some 2F into the pan and grind it with the wood stopper if I run out..
Just my process, Good Luck

There are no bad days hunting elk, some are just better.
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks for the tips. I have started to polish the pan, but I have a ways to go before it's polished.

I'll be going to shoot the gun today to see how it is. I need to get it sighted in. I want to take it deer hunting tomorrow.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
polishin' yer pan eh.... Now i know what you do on the windy cold days laugh

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Mine are all caplocks, but I have taken every opportunity offered to fire flints, and I must say, it is the greatest shooting challenge I have ever encountered. The ability flinters develope to follow through that long interval between fall and fire to me is incredible.

My hat is off to flintlock riflemen now and in the past!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

61 members (10Glocks, 907brass, Algotguns, Akhutr, beefan, 10 invisible), 1,418 guests, and 783 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,927
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.