Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I usually just stay on the backpack section of this forum but I need a few opinions on this situation.

This took place at my church and I want some opinions of more people

Background info

1 senior pastor and 3 men that make up the elder boards, this is the church leadership board. Our church hired a new associate pastor to deal with ministry building and all the adminastrative planning. A lengthy search took place and all references and interviews were done to ensure the right man was chosen.

The associate pastor moved his family (wife and two kids under 3) to our city and purchased a home. It was the church' intention to have this man a part of our church family for years to come.

At christmas (3 months since being hired) the associate pastor was praised at the front of the church for his work and his family was given a gift. On Feb 12 the associate pastor had an evaluation where he was blind sided with a horrible review. after this he made several attempts on how he could change to fit better but "no" was the answer. On Feb 16 he was fired and asked to clean out his office by the end of the day.

The reason he was fired is that he was not a good fit. Not performance, no major sins or immoral behaviour just not a good fit.

The leadership is going to pay him for another 6 weeks then your out on your own.

I think this is absolutely horrible and unjust to treat a man this way. I am terribly upset with the leadership I cannot believe they think this is a a Godly way to conduct business.

Please give me your opinions on the matter.

Honestly this is the extent of the situation. I know it seems like it doesn't add up but this is everything that happened.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Does the congregation get any input?

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, as the little paperback says, "Church is Stranger than Fiction".

It sounds very unfair to me, and I would think that the church leadership board owes the congregation a bit more of an explanation.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That seems a bit odd.

If everything is as you have said about the only thing you can do is approach the church leaders and tell them you think this is not right other than that vote with your feet, find a different church.

The original international turd
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It doesn't add up...

Have you asked the senior Pastor and board members what really happened?

Some personnel matters are confidential and you may never get an answer, but it is worth trying.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ah yes, I remember that part from Sunday school.

Love Thy Neighbor, unless he's not a good fit.

Politics is everywhere.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It seems as though this body deems its called workers the same as janitors and secretarys. This is wrong.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I would like an explanation and if it didn't pass the smell test I would be lobbying to remove the perps!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We Christians have a long history of killing our own. It is never pretty. I have seen pastors thrown out for no reason and sent away with over a year of back salary owed. I know for a fact he has never received a penny. I will never darken the door of that church again.

I am not on your church board so I cannot speak as to the real reason but it sounds bad by your remarks here.

My advice to you would be to spend time and pray about this. Ask for guidance and direction. It may be something you need to draw a line about and look for another place to worship and serve.

Just a few thoughts. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk more.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It seems that pastors often have less job security than baseball managers. It usually is a personality conflict with the powers that be. It often doesn't seem right. Churches can be very cut-throat.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm thinking a couple of things,..just IMO.

1) I know of a situation in which a pastor was caught red handed doing some hanky panky. The board basically gave him a choice of resigning or being fired. He resigned immediately and a cause was never "officially" given, but alot of people figured it out.

2) How large is the board that's making these decisions. Is it a large board..? If it's small, I'm thinking there might be personality issues between those involved. I've seen people try to "take ownership" of a church board and run it like their own little dictatorship without any input from the congregation.

Or,..maybe a couple members of the board are making a spot for someone using the buddy system.

Whatever the reason,..you're right, it doesn't pass the sniff test.

Keep a careful watch on his replacement and see if some interesting coincidences don't show up...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I too think you need to pray about this matter, give it to the Lord.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would check the Church bylaws to see how a process like this is supposed to go, exactly.

If the leadership followed the bylaws, then I would take to heart the lesson that David learned in dealing with Saul. Address them, but do them no harm.

If they are working outside of God's will, the sheep will not get fed. When sheep don't get fed, they start to look for other pasteurs....

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by allheart
The reason he was fired is that he was not a good fit. Not performance, no major sins or immoral behaviour just not a good fit.

I don't mean to besmirch the guy's job performance, but maybe the leadership is just trying to be kind. Some folks don't want to be confrontational and, misguided as it is, try to fire people with as little fuss as possible.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
gobs

good ole boy system

someones friend or relative is moving on up to the east side.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Folks forced me to church till I was teen. I saw enough then, and since to dam well know to many, if not most, are just another Payton Place..

Going to add I am NOT running down God persey, just [bleep] people.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My Dad was a Minister the whole time I was growing up. We lived at the pleasure of the local church board, and the Florida Methodist Conference.
I have seen every sort of nasty, parochial, ego driven sort of abuse a church can heap on it's Pastor.
For most of my life, it soured me on not only the Methodist Church, but on the Christian religion in general.
It took many years of prayer, for me to over come that experience, and start attending church again. Never did go back to a Methodist church though.

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Using the "not a good fit" reason for what amounts to firing someone is probably the least damaging reason that can be given other than a layoff due to the job going away. Likely there's something else going on and they just want the guy to go away, but without damaging his reputation.

If you trust the senior pastor and the elders, it may be best to just drop the issue. Many a rift has resulted from such issues when people can't move on, and with any rift there's a high risk of scattering the flock. Not something you want to be responsible for.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Many small originations tend to draw out small tyrants. They and Napoleons. The church is no exception. Such people must have their own way and tent to put others down to make up for their own shortcomings.

True Christian leadership will keep those kinds of people out of decision making process and leadership roles. But, that seldom happens in real life.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't count out the possibility of the assoc. doing something that the elders aren't making known. We faced that in a previous church when the pastor was having an affair with a divorce in the church. He just resigned and everyone blamed it on the elders. They were trying to 'protect' his image and told no one of the infidelity. The coverup pretty well destroyed the church when the truth would have brought it strongly together.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (Amos63, 808outdoors, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,382 guests, and 782 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,502
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.