Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
WOW Swamp you have been seriously hurt and are very lost. You may have read the Bible but I find it hard to believe you know Jesus Christ as your lord and saviour when you say things like that.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm not hurt at all. I'm thankful. I find it hard to believe a Christian can attend church.

"If what I say offends you, you should hear what I don't say."
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Catholics and Russian Orthodox up here have the worst reputation for illegal and illicit behavior from their clergy. I'll bet when you get down to the brass tacks you will find a kid that has been sexually abused. Too many get off with being fired or replaced instead of facing the music and going to prison.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Swampgas1 walks to the beat of a different drummer...........thankfully he is the only one following that beat !!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Swampman1
I only wish I had the quarter of a million dollars I wasted on tithe during those 50 years. I fear nothing because I walk with God. Why do you need a building to keep you from being afraid?....Laffin!

A church is separate from the building it meets in.

1 Corinthians 16:19 (NIV) The churches in the province of Asia send you greetings. Aquila and Priscilla greet you warmly in the Lord, and so does the church that meets at their house.

Romans 16:5 (NIV) Greet also the church that meets at their house. . . .

Philemon 1:2 (NIV) to Apphia our sister, to Archippus our fellow soldier and to the church that meets in your home:

When I say pray about it and seek out a church that practices the love of Christ, it doesn't necessarily mean a building, but churches do meet and it's the fellowship that's important.

Maybe it could be your Christian friends that you hunt and fish with.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The hell called church, is as bad as the literal hell.

I'm not hurt at all. I'm thankful. I find it hard to believe a Christian can attend church.

Good grief,....

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I haven't read the thread, so apologies up front if i mispeak.

i'm an rph and a pastor.
Without any gross misconduct given, if the church does not give him a minimum of 6 month for not "fitting", the church is dead wrong. Most often, in these cases, the pastor and he do not gel, but he needs to be very financially taken care of no matter what.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
allheart, sounds like the new guy got a raw deal. But like has been said earlier in this thread, there may be more to the situation than he is telling you. Or, maybe the church elders are operating under a misunderstanding. I hope it all works out.

My maternal grandfather was a methodist preacher. I grew up going to church 3 times a week till I was a teenager and had enough of a say to quit. I attended multiple churches in several states as a kid and got to know and observe a lot of really great people. Truly good people, best you could find. But I also saw a lot of lying, hypocritical, judgemental fools. I watched my father invest incredible amounts of the things he had the least of (time, money) and saw him get taken advantage of and schit all over. Lost my taste for organized religion. I take my relationship with the Lord seriously, but it is a personal relationship as I think it should be. My kids will be exposed, and at an age where they can appropriately make their own decisions I'll support them however they go.

Sorry for the sidetrack, but my point is if your new guy is as good a man as you think, I hope he's got a broad back.

MAGA
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Church and faith are two very different things.

Figure that out, and you will be fine.

Church is nothing more than a haven for the weak, and a tax shelter for the clever.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
I watched my father invest incredible amounts of the things he had the least of (time, money) and saw him get taken advantage of and schit all over.

That's the norm.......

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
One Sunday an old cowboy entered a church just before services were to begin.

Although the old man and his clothes were clean, he wore jeans, a denim shirt and boots that were very worn. He carried a worn out old hat and an equally worn out Bible.

The church was in a very upscale part of the city, the largest and most beautiful church the old cowboy had ever seen. The people of the congregation were likewise upscale, dressed with the most expensive of clothes.

As the cowboy took a seat, the others moved away from him. No one greeted, spoke to, or welcomed him. They were appalled at his appearance and didn't attempt to hide it. The preacher gave a long sermon and a lecture on how much money the church needed to do God's work.

As the old cowboy was leaving the church, the preacher approached him and asked the cowboy to do him a favor. "Before you come back, have a talk with God and ask him what He thinks would be appropriate attire for worship." The old cowboy assured the preacher he would.

The next Sunday, he returned to the same church wearing the same ragged jeans. Again, the congregation shunned and ignored him. Again, the preacher approached him and said, "I thought I asked you to speak to God".... "

"I did," replied the old cowboy.

"What exactly did God say was the proper attire for worshiping here?" asked the preacher.

"Well, sir, God told me that He didn't have a clue what I should wear. He says He's never been in this church."

Thanks for this great story; I just loved the ending:

"What exactly did God say was the proper attire for worshiping here?" asked the preacher.

"Well, sir, God told me that He didn't have a clue what I should wear. He says He's never been in this church."

I suspect that God has never been in a lot of churches and may never have been in a single one; it is quite possible that God is dead against organized religion, all organized religions.

Organized religions are businesses, not unlike country-clubs and other businesses built for social contacts and networking, except less open and less fun and much more hypocritical.

I worship God in my head, talking to my family, friends and strangers and in my actions.
I do not need paid intermediates to worship God, while imposing their views of God, their thoughts and their hypocritical sermons on me.
I thoroughly distrust organized religions and the people who make their money running them.
I thoroughly hate the hypocrisy and arrogance of church professionals and of many so called "elders" although I am sure some are truly seeking to help their congregation and its individual members.

By the way, do not forget that churches and organized religion while they initially contributed to the building of America and its founding values, have taken a turn for the worse and are responsible for the present destruction of these very values.

Is it too ambitious or too naive to look for an honest politician? Or simply a useful one?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Acts 17:24 "The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands."

Only a fool attends church. God isn't there... they are just lodges that steal your money. I hate them.

All too true and well illustrated by this quote of the Acts.

Is it too ambitious or too naive to look for an honest politician? Or simply a useful one?
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
I attended church till my late teens,and my whole family was very involved. My father was on the board of trustee's,or some such thing, my brother was music director etc. Anyway, some years after I left, one of my brothers was beginning to get involved in the ministery,doing sermons once in a while etc. It looked like he was likely to become a pastor.

In the course of about a year(from the time he began preaching the odd sermon), he began to become disillussioned with the church and ended up leaving entirely,alienating him from some of the family. We spoke about it at length,and he said that once he saw how the inner workings of the church operated,he could no longer stand in front of the people and pretend to support it.

My oldest brother had been absent from the church for some years, and then returned. He too become very involved and felt called to minister He became a youth pastor,which he really enjoyed,and the youth group flourished while he was there.
The church decided he was ready for the big time, so he started preaching on Sundays. Before too long, he too came into conflict with the head pastor of the church. He apparently didn't like what my brother was preaching, and told him he'd better toe the line. He wouldn't, since everything he preached he took directly from the bible, and things got ugly.
Eventually, he was summoned to Edmonton, from his home town of Aylmer,Ontario. I live near Edmonton,so he came to visit while he was here. He told me he had to go speak to a group of the most senior pastors( called before the Sanhedrin,was how he put it)and they would decide his fate.

He stated his case, and they didn't much like it. They decided to put him in one of the smallest churches they had,composed mostly of a few seniors with no youth to speak of. The conflict with the head pastor there was not long in coming, and within a year he called it quits.

I spoke with both my brothers at length about what went wrong, and it always comes down to politics and power. They both still attend church,although not the one we grew up in. I myself have not attended in more than a decade, nor will I likely do so again. I made a lot of great friends in that church, many of which are still friends to this day, so I guess that is one positive thing to come out of it.

I see the physical toll the stress and turmoil took on my older brother. The pressure to just toe the line and do as he was told was huge, and he paid dearly in defying them. He's told me what the major issue's were, and basically the church interpretted various scriptures differently than he did, They couldn't say he was wrong, but neither were they willing to let him state his case for his beliefs. It was basically ""This is what we teach here, so preach what we say or else". Since he was unwilling to keep quite, he was forced out. It could well be that this is what is happening in the OP's case too. Just not a good "fit".

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Swampy,

I actually agree with you on most points, however I also recognize that like everything else in life people will do things there own way. If going to church is what some feel is their best way to praise and serve the Lord, then that is up to them and fine with me. I am also certain that they will find the Lord inside the walls of their building they call church, because that is where they want him to be. That is where they confide in him and while I do not believe that we need to be an active member of a church to be a good person or Christen it certainly doesn't take anything away from the people who attend.

Church has it's benefits whether you see them or not, they help spread the word of God, provide a support structures for those who need it or stray etc... However they do have their faults as well as you have pointed out, they cannot help that, they are man made after all.

Last edited by heavywalker; 02/24/12.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deersmeller
Acts 17:24 "The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands."

Only a fool attends church. God isn't there... they are just lodges that steal your money. I hate them.

All too true and well illustrated by this quote of the Acts.

1 Corinthians 16:19 (NIV) The churches in the province of Asia send you greetings. Aquila and Priscilla greet you warmly in the Lord, and so does the church that meets at their house.

Romans 16:5 (NIV) Greet also the church that meets at their house. . . .

Philemon 1:2 (NIV) to Apphia our sister, to Archippus our fellow soldier and to the church that meets in your home:

It�s the fellowship that counts.

Matthew 18:20 (NIV) For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them.

That said, it's foolish to claim a church of believers can't meet in a building some think of as a church and that Christ's words of Matthew 18:20 fail because of the building, which is of no account in God's view.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Acts 24:14 "But this I confess unto thee, that after the way which they call heresy, so worship I the God of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the law and in the prophets:"

A man in a pulpit can give you his revelation, but his is only for him. You have to have your own. Don't waste your time and money on a church. Life is short do something useful and enjoyable.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MacLorry
It�s the fellowship that counts.

I expected that remark but while you are right from an ideal point of view, you are wrong in reality.

Church is a business and the building is its headquarters, its shop, its marketing base, its work-shop, its customer manipulation center, etc.

The congregation and fellowship you speak of is only the assembly of deceived customers of a deceitful business.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Amen...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another--and all the more as you see the Day approaching." Hebrews 10:5

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Guys, is it not obvious that there is scripture that supports both arguments and that one doesn't trump the other?

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

661 members (160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 66 invisible), 2,698 guests, and 1,422 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,099
Posts18,483,079
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.