Print Thread
Hop To
#6222053 02/26/12
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I cannot wait to teach my 5 grand kids (well the one's willing to learn) to shoot, hunt, fish, camp, work on cars and generally be proper thinking and considerate little human beings.

They have good folks with good child rearing habits but I was chuffed to bits when the SOL asked me if I was interested in helping to teach his oldest boy child (7 ish) to shoot. OMG was I enthused and have all the accoutrements needed for the foray already lined up and am composing a plan on the basics of gun safety first and foremost and the marksmanship. He is a fine lad but I will hold him to the safe handling and manual of arms of the arm bring used. I am so stoked!

How about ya'll, doesn't it give you a tingle when asked to help with life long lessons? Teaching a youngin' how to take care of what ever task at hand REALLY has me on a "high".

Be safe and heres hoping yinz'all have a fine Daytona 500 weekend. Happiness and high hopes on all you hold dear.

Patty

GB1

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Weelllll, at first it seemed like a good idea.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It is great, I did so for my son, daughter, 1st grandson and have rifles waiting in the safe for the twin grandsons. It is great to pass on the traditions and life lessons.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I too think it is great. I have taught my son and now working with my grandaughter. It is time well spent. First work on SAFETY. I am always available to go when she wants to go shoot. She has been shooting 22's for two years. I stepped her into .243, with no problems. She got her first deer (doe) on the first day. She was very happy and I was even more pleased. If you teach them right, they will pass it on. Good shooting.

E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I have a grand niece that just turned six so it shouldn't be too much longer. I taught her mom and another niece to shoot and it was a very enjoyable process.
Have fun and shoot safe.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
IC B2

M
MJS Offline
M
Dont ever lose hope either. My daughter was too girly to ever be interested. She turned 24 and said "Dad will you take me hunting? But first I need to shoot at the range!"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of the many joys of life. 4 daughters learned to shoot well and safely use firearms, and also reload a bit - and I loved every second of it all. Have been working on the six grandkids - 3 are fairly accomplished and 3 getting started. Grab ahold - it goes by so quickly.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I enjoy the time outdoors and spent afield with my kids. The endless safety training is boring for both me and them. I can't say it is nearly as enjoyable as actual shooting and hunting, but it is crucial and I keep stressing it repetitively.

One thing I have noticed is that while my girl was and my boy is receptive to taking instruction, my girl is getting less so. I think it's a developmental thing. The boy is seven and eager to please and loves to do the things his parents do, whereas my girl is eleven and wants to do stuff differently from her parents. Approaching the teen years...

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Always a good thing to pass on what you know.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Patty,

Yep, one of the things that has me really wanting to hang around is teaching my Grandchildren (Two so far, but there should be more before too long) the shooting and knot tyiing, and outdoor skils, but MOSTLY model a Godly life and existence and re inforce the lessons that mom and dad teach them about prayer and bible reading and being faithful to church. Serving and worshipping God with ones life and deeds, not just words.

Oldest one is only four, starting the priccess with her. Such is a big part of my reason for living on.

Good post and thread, Patty!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have never met a kid who didn't love to shoot--BB guns, .22's, rifles, shotguns, bows, slingshots, you name it.

It's only after they get exposed to anti-gun sentiment that they change. Good on you for helping them go down the right path, and innoculating them against the anti message.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good on you. My granddaughter is just five months old and waiting to teach her about the outdoor life is one of the reasons I keep going.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

121 members (6MMWASP, 673, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 1minute, 29aholic, 11 invisible), 1,832 guests, and 915 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,758
Posts18,514,941
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.