Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I just bought a nib Kahr cw45. Shot 25 rounds of American eagle fmj ammo which fed and ejected flawlessly. So today I picked up a couple different hollow point rounds and instantly gas jamming problems...

I load the mag, and release the slide easing it down with my.hand and it will not close fully. BUT if I just hit the slide release and let the slide slam the round into the chamber it feeds just fine.

The when trying to eject a round by pulling the slide back. The round again jams....

When shooting the rounds cycle perfectly. So....needless to.say I'm very confused. Because fmj ammo did not do this...

The gun is brand new, bought yesterday. And has only 28.rounds through it. So I'm hoping its just a problem of not being broken in yet.

Any suggestions? Thanks

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Kahr will tell you to release the slide with the slide release allowing it to "slam" forward as the gun designers intended. They will also tell you to shoot 200 rounds through it to "wear" it in. Do this and you will not have problems with that gun. My CW9 has 500 through it without any disassembly or cleaning and has never malfunctioned with any load I have used. The first 200 was shot with ball ammo. I assume it came with the owners manual?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep - controlled "hand-cycling" has never worked well with Kahrs. My K9 was 100% reliable when chambered as instructed by Kahr and when fired - but not when hand-cycling. Nothing wrong with that.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't baby it, treat it like a rented mule and your problems will be over.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Controlled "hand cycling" is a poor practice with any semi-auto. Allow the machine to do what it's supposed to. Never slam the slide on an empty chamber. THat's the only time you let it forward slowly. When the mag is loaded, release the slide with the slide release, or, by jacking it back and releasing it.

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
Controlled "hand cycling" is a poor practice with any semi-auto. Allow the machine to do what it's supposed to. Never slam the slide on an empty chamber. THat's the only time you let it forward slowly. When the mag is loaded, release the slide with the slide release, or, by jacking it back and releasing it.

Dan

Exactly.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have the CW's-9,40,and 45. I shoot the 45 more than the others.

None of them has had jamming issues, I had no break in issues with any of them.

With a full magazine, slide to the rear, I depress the slide
release and never have issues.

Many auto's will prefer certain types of ammo.

I reload for all my CW's. I shoot the 185g Nosler HP and 185g Speer Gold dots with 9.6g of AA#5, in the 45 and never an fail to fire issues. My CW 45 is one heck of an accurate pistol, certainly more accurate than my full size glock 45.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a CW45 in pieces sitting in the box of the basement and I hate to even waste the time to give it away and call it a total loss. Of all the problems I experienced, though, I would not consider the OPs problem to be a real problem.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Send it to me Cheyenne if it ain't a blown up gun and let me see what I can do with it. If I can fix it I'll send it back to ya.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks guys. Having never owned a Kahr I had found this a little odd and worrisome.

But you guys have eased my worries.

Thanks

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T LEE
Send it to me Cheyenne if it ain't a blown up gun and let me see what I can do with it. If I can fix it I'll send it back to ya.

That sounds like an offer I can't refuse! I will put together a PM with all the details. Thanks.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by bankwalker
I just bought a nib Kahr cw45. Shot 25 rounds of American eagle fmj ammo which fed and ejected flawlessly. So today I picked up a couple different hollow point rounds and instantly gas jamming problems...

I load the mag, and release the slide easing it down with my.hand and it will not close fully. BUT if I just hit the slide release and let the slide slam the round into the chamber it feeds just fine.

The when trying to eject a round by pulling the slide back. The round again jams....

When shooting the rounds cycle perfectly. So....needless to.say I'm very confused. Because fmj ammo did not do this...

The gun is brand new, bought yesterday. And has only 28.rounds through it. So I'm hoping its just a problem of not being broken in yet.

Any suggestions? Thanks
Try Remington Golden Saber 230 grainers. If it likes FMJ, it will like them too.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain

Dan

Exactly.
+2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Originally Posted by T LEE

That sounds like an offer I can't refuse! I will put together a PM with all the details. Thanks.

Works for me, I like a little project now and then in my retirement, just don't want to do it full time anymore.

Old cat turd!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (06hunter59, 10ring1, 1234, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 2,203 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,920
Posts18,479,734
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.