Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Getting ready to make a handgun purchase, however, I'm torn between a Ruger Super Redhawk with 7.5in barrel and a S&W 629 with 8 3/8 barrel. Any suggestions on which one would handle a 300gr bullet better?
Thanks

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I think the Ruger is going to win that durability race...

But the deer would think better of you if you used a Smith.

Travis

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We haven't had a good pissing match at the handgun forum for a while... wink

This is a tough choice.

The 8-3/8" M629, especially in full-lug, is an unwieldy sucker at best. There's no meaningful advantage to offset the gained awkwardness.

The SRH in .44 Mag is an abomination. The only reason to consider it in this case is to hot-rod a cartridge that doesn't hot-rod all that well.

Sooo, how many folks did I tick off?

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by deflave
...the deer would think better of you if you used a Smith.

...as would any person of good breeding!! :-)

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by JOG
We haven't had a good pissing match at the handgun forum for a while... wink

This is a tough choice.

The 8-3/8" M629, especially in full-lug, is an unwieldy sucker at best. There's no meaningful advantage to offset the gained awkwardness.

The SRH in .44 Mag is an abomination. The only reason to consider it in this case is to hot-rod a cartridge that doesn't hot-rod all that well.

Sooo, how many folks did I tick off?

You're the first person I've put on ignore.

Travis

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG

I haven't found any "gained awkwardness" in an 8-3/8 N frame whatsoever..never! whistle

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
No brainer, buy the Ruger. When a Ruger goes "bang" the meat hits the ground. Now, if your planning on having a Hollywood career, the Smith might be for you, since they are more "bling"... smile

God Bless America!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My vote is the Ruger. A standard 7.5" Super Blackhawk in 44 would be my vote. If you handload, I'd opt a 45 colt. If you want a bit more style, buy one of the 5.5" Ruger Bisley in 45 colt. I just shot mine last weekend for the first time and really, really like it.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Go with the one that feels best to you in your hand. If one points better, that's the one I'd pick.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
No brainer, buy the Smith & Wesson. If you want a gun to throw at the animal after you have missed it with all your shots, get the Ruger, everyone seems to agree that they are indestructible.

Otherwise I would get the S&W, I have shot mine, a model 57, for years and killed plenty of animals with it. I have shot hundreds of rounds a varmints as well. It has not shown any sign of loosening up, a somewhat obscure happening that people seem to cite regularly...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TeamRealtree
Getting ready to make a handgun purchase, however, I'm torn between a Ruger Super Redhawk with 7.5in barrel and a S&W 629 with 8 3/8 barrel. Any suggestions on which one would handle a 300gr bullet better?
Thanks

Interesting comparison ... two .44s I really don't like much. Both are clubby.

I'd rather point you at a nice Redhawk, not the Super. Better balance, better grip than either of your two choices. If you really want the S&W with a heavy underlug I'd suggest a 5" barreled classic.

Best choice of all is a 5.5 inch barreled Super Blackhawk. Long enough barrel for reasonably precise shots, short enough to holster well, and the best balance of any .44 out there.

Good luck, whatever you choose.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would prefer the Smith over the Redhawk and don't over look the Blackhawk .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Thanks

The Redhawk is the stronger revolver, no question. I also agree with Shrapnel that the S&W M-57 can take a lot of rounds without a hitch, the M-29 not so much

The M-29 is more pleasing aesthetically IMHO

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If you can try both do so. The Ruger is a tank, heavy not so nice trigger on most, but durable. The S&W will have a better trigger and will be built more like a race car. Not a lot of extra meat every where. I finally settled on a 4" 357PD, as I don't normally hunt with a handgun alone. The long barrels are better for accuracy, but can be a b***h to carry in any kind of a hip holster. Would want a shoulder holster for a rig that big.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Smith is the weak sister in this match up, so if you want durability go Ruger. The 629 is slick, but it really offers no advantage over the bulkier Ruger. SRHs tend to be accurate out of the box. And yes, I have both, so I have declared myself completely objective. grin

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A SRH stands out as the most accurate .44 Magnum of all I've ever owned, which is a bunch, and that includes an 8 3/8" Model 629, which was no slouch either. Well, a T/C Contender 10" I had would equal it, but I can't say it'd beat it. The SRH has the mechanical accuracy and good shootability - that big-a heavy barrel and frame dampen movement like a heavy barreled rifle will. A Smith trigger will beat it but that's the only advantage I would give to the Smith.

The mass of the SRH dampens the recoil of full power .44 loads like no other. Mine had the older wood insert grips and I'd imagine these new Hogue tamers or whatever they're called would be even more comfortable. Scope mounting is standard with it or you can interchange sights to your heart's content. It will take the toughest handloads you can dish out (unless you go insane with Bullseye powder or something).

It's too heavy for much of anything except hunting and is heavy to carry for that - when I had mine I figured why don't I just get a .44 lever action , but as a handgun made specifically for hunting I can't think of anything better.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I believe the S&W carries better and I know I shoot it better. The SRH is hell for stout but I don't push it that hard these days.
On the other hand I don't feel a need for 8 3/8 inches of barrel, but you didn't ask about that.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
A SRH stands out as the most accurate .44 Magnum of all I've ever owned, which is a bunch, and that includes an 8 3/8" Model 629, which was no slouch either. Well, a T/C Contender 10" I had would equal it, but I can't say it'd beat it. The SRH has the mechanical accuracy and good shootability - that big-a heavy barrel and frame dampen movement like a heavy barreled rifle will. A Smith trigger will beat it but that's the only advantage I would give to the Smith.

The mass of the SRH dampens the recoil of full power .44 loads like no other. Mine had the older wood insert grips and I'd imagine these new Hogue tamers or whatever they're called would be even more comfortable. Scope mounting is standard with it or you can interchange sights to your heart's content. It will take the toughest handloads you can dish out (unless you go insane with Bullseye powder or something).

It's too heavy for much of anything except hunting and is heavy to carry for that - when I had mine I figured why don't I just get a .44 lever action , but as a handgun made specifically for hunting I can't think of anything better.
I really like this post.

A lot depends on which Smith. If you're talking a used, original 629 without the Durability Enhancements, then it is a much trimmer gun. If you're talking one of the "Classics" or some "Whitetail Hunter" model or the like, then it is still slimmer and trimmer, but not by nearly as much.

300 grainers in the .44 Mag. are pretty heavy to me. The Super Redhawk is a big, ugly and awkward gun, but its mass and weight would help dampen the recoil.

Either gun will work, it just depends on whether you like the Smith or the Ruger.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Katie thinks the SRH rules

[Linked Image]

Of course hers is a 454 so what does she know??? laugh

[Linked Image]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks

if Chrome Moly in smith & wesson, you can't beat the feel and balance, though in my estimation, regular, sustained use of 300 gr pills in an n frame 44 could be a real stretch...

if Stainless Steel in smith & wesson, in my opinion you might take a pass--i've had five SS smiths, and 3 of the 5 had some issues--they were a disappointment. (and no, none of them had loads used in them that tipped towards excess)--that type of treatment is abuse.

the 6 inch model 66 was great--no problems, as was one 6 inch 629.

the model 60 was treated very well, an old carry piece so only about 750 rounds through it (most were light target loads, rest were regular loads), when suddenly during a range session the hammer pivot broke off. the repair center wanted $85.00 to install a new one. i replaced that snub with a ruger sp101, which can stand the gaff, and will last forever x 2..

the 6 inch model 629 lasted 3 rounds of factory 240 grain speers, before the bolt stuck down inside the frame (not a hard fix but since it was brand new the store made it right, and they handled the problem, getting me a new one).

the 4 inch model 629 was a wonder to see, carry, and shoot. the perfect handgun, until--after around 400 rounds--about 300 specials and about 100 of the 240 gr loads, (once again no, these were not hot loads, in fact under full power, as i knew that these frames, especially in softer stainless, needed a lighter touch and so my loads were 10% under max), but despite this at about 400 rounds it then quit on me. when i went to shoot it single action, as the hammer began to fall, the pivoting device on the face of the hammer caught on the top of the trigger, kicking it ahead and it wouldn't fire (this was how my gunsmith explained the problem to me). i knew a guy who used to work for s&w, he had all the jigs, and he repaired it.

soon after that, i got a letter from my dealer (who had received it from smith), essentially saying that some of their 629's may have been sent out with a possible cylinder problem--that the cylinders needed immediate inspection (infer what you want based on that statement of theirs). but that did it for me, i didn't want anymore SS smiths.

i went to the SS redhawk in 5.5 inch model--in my opinion ugly, club-like, not balanced well, but able to stand regular use with full power 300 gr loads. only problem of note was it began to hit left--a sign the barrel is beginning to turn out. ideally, these barrels should be pinned. i removed the barrel, cleaned the threads, added a light thread lock and reassembled it. no problems since...

some noteworthy features of the ruger redhawk; changeable sights, coil springs, very thick top strap, off-set cuts in the cylinder, transfer bar safety, frame mounted firing pin, crane lock, off-set ejector rod, no sideplate, no screws to loosen in a sideplate or cylinder release, fairly inexpensive parts, such as the hammer pivot, etc., that are easy to change out, and good quality SS that can take regular, sustained use. for utility, the redhawk is hard to beat--but when you appreciate the fit/feel of a smith, the ruger is hard to get used to, as to me they feel "club-like" and unbalanced--something i hate but i'll settle for it because i know they will always work, and you don't have to feed them "a little under max loads", as they can readily handle 300 grain full power loads--mine has for just over 24 years now...

if you are a single action fan, the ruger super blackhawk in 5.5 inch is great--a strong revolver and well balanced. if you're not too friendly with your chump change, a freedom arms is mighty fine. i've used them for just over 18 years now, and as far as production guns go, they can't be better--superb fitting and very hard steels.

i haven't bought a SS smith in about 27 years now--having switched to rugers--if SS--exclusively. the three SS smiths i had some problems with were early to mid 80's specimens--tough times then, but in my estimation their work in the last few years appears to me to be much better, based on a few i've looked at--but like them as i do i probably won't go back--as i shoot alot, and i prefer complete peace of mind concerning gear...

the beauty of it is that there is more than a wheel barrow full of potential rigs out there--but if you want to regularly push 300 gr pills in 44 mag, it pays to do your homework, and then shop wisely...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 160user, 22250rem, 46 invisible), 2,542 guests, and 1,338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,710
Posts18,475,395
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.