Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My 70 year old mother, who has a slight touch of arthritis, but is otherwise in fine health, wants my advice on which handgun to purchase. My dad told her she'd be more of a danger to him and herself by wielding a gun, but her mind is made up--she is going to buy a gun to shoot burglars with.

She doesn't want a shotgun. She is not terribly likely to carry concealed (but she already went and got her CPL, just in case), and she will likely practice about once a year or less once the honeymoon with her new gun is over.

I'm thinking a revolver with an exposed hammer in .38 Special. I don't know how she would deal with the "complexity" of an automatic. But, I think she'd be OK with the recoil of a .38--she's a tough chick.

Oh, and she wants one of "those laser pointer thingies--those look like the bees knees."

RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:

1. Don't argue about whether she should get a gun. She's getting one--with or without my help.

2. Don't gripe about how much she will/won't practice. I'm being real here. And it won't change anything at her end. She's getting a gun. That's that.

3. Don't argue against lasers. She'd rather die at the hands of a bad guy than not get the laser.

4. Don't argue for a shotgun. It ain't gonna happen. Mom is getting a handgun.

5. Don't mention .22 or .25--she knows those are for people looking to get killed by a ticked off, slightly-wounded burglar. She's positive about that, even though she has no problem with a .32.

6. Don't argue the logic of any of it. smile

So what gun should my mom buy and put in her nightstand?

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
"I'm thinking a revolver with an exposed hammer in .38 Special."

There you go. I recommend a K-Frame.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
As much as a dearly love my S&W's, if I were you I'd have her handle the Ruger LCR with the integral laser and see if she likes it. I've tried a few and the trigger, out of the box, is very smooth and just a touch lighter than the out of the box triggers on S&W J-frames I've had recently.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I think a 38 special in a K-frame is a good choice. Not arguing against a laser but that limits your grip options, which somewhat negates one of the good points of a medium frame revolver.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
A round butt K-frame with the Crimson Trace grips that leave the backstrap open is a good choice; I've got those grips on a 66 2 1/2" I've got and it handles pretty darn well. Only drawback to the K-frame is that you have to hunt around to get a good one. Can't just go down to the local mega-mart and try one for size.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
4" K frame Model 15 or Model 10, preferably a good used Model 15. Whatever grips suit her and/or get one of the laser grips.

OR,

The 3" Model 60 .357, the one with the underlug and adjustable sights, and load it with 38's. If you can find one of the early ones chambered in .38 Special even better but they are kind of scarce. If they made a 4" J-frame I'd say get that but I don't know of any.

Obviously, let her handle both and make up her own mind.

Reason is mostly that either will have enough weight to dampen recoil a bit. Recoil of one of the flyweight scandium .38's is way too fast and snappy. Even that little model 60 can be sharp with full power loads.

We had a training class for women at our sportsman's club back in Payette. We had a few members' loaners for them to try and by a large majority the ladies liked either the K or J frame smiths.

Don't discount your mom. About a year after taking the class an "older" lady (I want to say about 80 but could have been in her 70's) who lived between Ontario and Vail, OR had a couple of guys try to come into her house in broad daylight, they were trying to force the locked front door. IIRC it had a small, high window in it and she fired one warning shot through that window over their heads causing them to run like hell. In the newspaper article she cited her training at our club for giving her enough confidence to use her gun when she needed to.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Mom wanted one too the other year (she gave me her Security Six ... which I'm going to have to give back it looks like), I bought her a S&W 442 with some 110 gr light loads. She frigging hates it ... hates it a lot. Too much recoil (guess I should have guessed that). I carry a 642 ... Edited to add, I don't think a LCR or Bodygaurd are good ideas for an older lady. JMHO & YMMV

Might still look into a Rossi or Ruger heavy framed GP series. But will most likey return her Security Six to her. Not sure I want a Taurus ... heard good and heard bad.

Last edited by avagadro; 02/28/12.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Find a range where she can rent a variety of guns. Almost all of them will have some .38 or .357 revolvers to try. If there are any training classses geared toward women, those would be good as well.

That said, my MIL took a liking to a 9mm 3rd gen S&W, and shot it well. Let her try some autos as well.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That Ruger Security Six or Speed Six with a 4" barrel would be the other best choice, particularly with the service style grip on it, that would proably fit a woman's hand quite well. Good basic revolver with enough mass to hold recoil down.

Only problem is you obviously have to find a used one, but if she doesn't mind going to a gun show you can usually find a few there to look at.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Her's was a six inch ... she gave it to my wife to shoot (who loves it).

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had to arm/re-arm some people in New Orleans after Katrina. My dad thinks anything that goes �bang� is a manstopper, and he won�t carry anything that weighs more than a few ounces. He got a Kel-Tec .380. One elderly female wanted a small gun and insisted on a laser. I sent my favorite S&W Centennial and installed Crimson Trace laser grips. She had a hard time pulling the trigger. That gun will rot in a box somewhere, much to my dismay. I sent someone else a K frame S&W and she subsequently installed her own laser grips and likes to shoot.

I have a niece who lives in Seattle. She was in town last year and really wanted to shoot. I put a J frame S&W in her hands and her finger could barely reach the trigger, much less fire the gun. She could fire a single action .45, but she was getting some serious muzzle flip. She did love shooting, though. She will be visiting in June and asked if I would take her shooting. I want to buy her a gun, but I am wracking my brain firguring that problem out. I don�t like semi- autos for newbs, but she may be the exception.

That point is, you have to make sure the gun fits. Being that you care for your mom, at least see what fits her before you buy her anything. Then, be ready to buy, sell, trade until she is happy.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Especially since you specified a house gun, and not a concealed carry, there's no reason in the world she should be burdened with a J-Frame of any configuration. She can enjoy the luxury of a K-Frame. Get a prelock one, though. There are lots of them floating around only slightly used, and some new in the box, and they won't cost you any more than a new one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As long as it's just a house gun & she's not going to tote it around, a 4" K-frame 38 with grips that fit her is a hard to beat choice.

Lots of grip styles & sizes to help tailor it to her feel, which is really what it's all about.

Good Luck.

MM

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
He said she has a "touch" of arthritis, the lite guns like the LCR and the alloy S&W have sharp recoil that will sting arthritic hands, I know as they do mine. I would recommend a 3" K frame Smith with a Wolff spring kit. A model 10, 13, 63 or 65 would fit the bill nicely in a round butt with a set of Crimson Trace grips. It also would make a good CCW, especially since I'll bet she would carry in a purse not on her body. This is my humble opinion FWIW.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by T LEE
He said she has a "touch" of arthritis, the lite guns like the LCR and the alloy S&W have sharp recoil that will sting arthritic hands, I know as they do mine. I would recommend a 3" K frame Smith with a Wolff spring kit. A model 10, 13, 63 or 65 would fit the bill nicely in a round butt with a set of Crimson Trace grips. It also would make a good CCW, especially since I'll bet she would carry in a purse not on her body. This is my humble opinion FWIW.
You're always right when you agree with me, T. grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
4 inch barrel Model 10 38 Spl

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
3" Sp101 in 327 federal. Shoot some 32s in it if the 327 recoil is too snappy. Add crimson trace laser grips

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
smile smile smile

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Smith and Wesson 357 magnum with a 2 1/2 or 3-3 1/2 inch barrel, I would say hammerless if she is carrying it? The hammer won't snag in her purse and will alleviate wanting to cock it. Fire 38 specials through it and get the laser grip on it. I would skip the semi autos! Happy Burglar hunting!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
That Ruger Security Six or Speed Six with a 4" barrel would be the other best choice, particularly with the service style grip on it, that would proably fit a woman's hand quite well. Good basic revolver with enough mass to hold recoil down.

Only problem is you obviously have to find a used one, but if she doesn't mind going to a gun show you can usually find a few there to look at.

That was what I was thinking. If I still had mine I would make you a nice deal.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 53 invisible), 2,552 guests, and 1,346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,673
Posts18,474,828
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.