Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
My apologies if its been posted before... I"m flatly AMAZED and HUMBLED watching these clips.. first gives a link to the second.. second is well worth watching for sure. I think its a total of 20 minutes but it seemed like it flew by.. no pun intended.

http://www.angelfire.com/ak2/intelligencerreport/carrier1.html

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
That was impressive!

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Just another day at the factory.

-Piss into the wind.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Balls of brass.

[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My apologies if its been posted before... I"m flatly AMAZED and HUMBLED watching these clips.. first gives a link to the second.. second is well worth watching for sure. I think its a total of 20 minutes but it seemed like it flew by.. no pun intended.

+1

Awesome video, thanks cool

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Seen it before but still something else. +2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It is blocked for me, not allowed to view it up here.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
A shame you can't see it in BC. I'm still impressed today.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Great video. Couple guys there are friends. Did that south of Australia, where they have the long period swells, don't want to do it again.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Partsman
It is blocked for me, not allowed to view it up here.

WTF, over? Why is it not allowed?

[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Does anyone know what the washout rate is for carrier pilot/naval aviator candidates from start to finish? It's got to be way up there for the overall process. Considering what the the basic physical and mental requirements probably are to even be considered for training I've got to believe very few people can do that.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Incredible!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The main reason why I went Air Force. Landing a jet on a fixed runway at night and bad weather is tense enough.

In my second book, I describe what it's like to land a blacked-out plane on a blacked-out runway, on a moonless night, while taking ground fire. Black hole doesn't begin to describe it.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Back in the 60s the navy wanted me to fly. Back them some of the pilots died learning to fly in Pensacola. bunch more died learning how to take off and land on the carriers. I thought about it and decided there was way too much chance to die before they started shooting at me and passed. I was really glad after I saw a bunch of them crash and we never got one back alive. Flying an F4 would have been a rush, but those things were as aerodynamic as a stone at low speed. I never regretted that decision for even a second.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'd have to do something less nerve wracking, like EOD. grin

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
In 63 the Marines offered me flight school, because of my size they said transport or helicopter but I'd have to sign on for 6 years. Being 18 it just didn't sound good so I passed.
Well ya'll know what happened starting about 1964.
One of the few times I was right in some of my choices.

"The older I get, the better I was"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
Does anyone know what the washout rate is for carrier pilot/naval aviator candidates from start to finish? It's got to be way up there for the overall process. Considering what the the basic physical and mental requirements probably are to even be considered for training I've got to believe very few people can do that.

It USED to be around a 90% washout rate, that is from walking in the hatch at the recruiting office to reporting to your first operational squadron and most of that came in the initial reporting, Aviation Officer Candidate School with USMC DI's living in your ass, lots of PT, etc, followed by a very rigorous and equally intimidating process through flight training. Then came the women and a female admiral head the Navy's training operations that had no clue, so she significantly reduced the pressure points going in, and all that did was move the attrition rate to the right, meaning at much higer cost to the taxpayer. My last job in the Navy was Director of the Aviation Training School and that a a low atrition rate ~ 10% or so, then it spiked up in Primary, REALLY spiked up in intermediate, then settled down again until you reported to the FRS (essentially "Type" school).

Loved the video, especially watching those "Hud Cripple" Hornet pukes boltering, then whinning about a 700 mile Blue Water Ops. Piece of cake in the ol' Viking smile
Oh yeah, and I about threw a shoe at the screen when I heard that non-flying bitch and that other dude "critiquing" the landings. I would have loved to have taken those two up in those conditions and watched as they slowly sucked up the seat cushion in those Marti-Baker (or in my case ESCAPAC) seats! smile :::SIGH::: now I'm depressed... One more thing, hey Bristoe you worthless puke, the only "affirmative action" there is called the ramp-strike... jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I always thought those pilots were just supermen with balls of brass, or just plain fricking nuts. Probably both.

Back on board with a nice single malt scotch and some private time with Ensign Clapp (The red head) would take the edge off. Might want to make a few traps right there.

Last edited by crosshair; 03/01/12.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not a drop aboard those steel airports, crosshair. ANOTHER reason I went AF! There are times when you do need a stiff one - and I'm not referring to that (probably) appropriately named ensign.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by jbmi
In 63 the Marines offered me flight school, because of my size they said transport or helicopter but I'd have to sign on for 6 years. Being 18 it just didn't sound good so I passed.
Well ya'll know what happened starting about 1964.
One of the few times I was right in some of my choices.

After '64 the army in particular came calling every week looking for people who wanted to fly helicopters. That would have been about the only job possible that was lees appealing than anything else they had to offer from turd inspector on up. Not only "no thank you sir" but also "please don't waste your time asking me again"

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

685 members (16penny, 160user, 204guy, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 63 invisible), 2,272 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,842
Posts18,496,856
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.