Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Hello All,

I need some advice.

My brother and I developed a reloading tool that I believe every precision reloader is going to want.

We have spent just over the last year designing it and building prototypes. In the next couple of weeks we will be building what I believe is the final prototype and it will be fully spec'd for CNC and essentially ready to go.

I talked to a patent lawyer recently and he actually somewhat advised me that pursuing a patent would be a waste due to the low cost and easy reproduction of the tool. He advised me to sell as many as I can and sell the design to a larger reloading supplier.

Does anyone here have any experience with such matters?

Can companies like Hornady, Lee, Redding etc... be trusted?

Thanks

Tom

HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would talk to one more attorney before you buy off on that. YMMV

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I felt that he was a straight shooter. I actually want the patent mostly to hang it on the wall. But I scoured the internet after the discussion with him and determined what he was saying is correct.

See the link below, there are many others out there that relay the same information, including some that give real life examples of folks losing their entire life savings attempting to defend the patent.

http://www.idahosbdc.org/Documentmaster.aspx?doc=1208

If someone on here has any specific experience you can share I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

Tom

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
think the lawyer gave you the honest truth, i would try to contact someone like dick wright who has experience in manufacturing specialty reloading thingies. think you will find dick over on benchrest central. he also writes for precision shooting. they should have some contact imfo.

Ed

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks 1234.

I will.

Tom

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I was not able to find Dick Wright. Any chance you could offer assistance?

Anybody else out there have some experience with this?

Thanks

Tom

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The advise the attorney gave you seems to be in line with what I have seen happen with other shooters that develop invative things for the shooting sports. If it is gunsmithing related, Brownell's usually ends up with the rights to produce and sell the item. It's knd of a get in and get out type of situation, sell as many as you can then sell the rights and move on to something else. I am a gunsmith/toolmaker and like to design and develop reloading related items too. For the most part I have only made some of the items for co-workers and friends, never going so far as to try and market nor patent any of my inventions. Costs of patent,liablilty insurance, etc. has been what has kept me from doing so.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Can you provide me with any additional information?

I think that specifically Hornady will be interested in this design/product. Any advice on how to work with them?

If I go directly to Brownells how do you recommend going about this.

Thanks

Tom

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I want to buy one.....what is it?

I got all kinds of gidgets and widgets.....I need more

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The reloading items that I have built thus far are: powder measure adapter that incorporates Hornady Loc-N-Load bushing, mounts powder measure to powder thru expander die and allows quick removal of powder measure for powder dumping. It also incorporates a viewing window for visual comformation of powder drop. Sinclair Nalgene bottle adapter mounted to RCBS Little Dandy for quick powder change. Converted Redding expander die to powder thru expander. Extended shellholder to allow loading .44 Special/.44 magnum without changing die setings. Lexan endclosure/cover for electronic scale. Graduated Lyman case trimmer adjustment sleeve to allow .001" adjustment. Calibrated Lyman case trimmer to allow setting for different cartridge length without trial & error. And my most ambitious project, building a motorized reloading press. Anyone who would like pics of my projects can e-mail me at" bobtwiningsbcglobal.net. If you are a home shop machinist, these projects are quick and easy builds and will save you time and effort at the reloading bench.

Last edited by gunswizard; 03/25/12.
IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Dick Wright's information, as published in April 2011 Precision Shooting is:

Dick Wright
9421 e mannsiding rd
clare michigan 48617

Last edited by metricman; 03/25/12.

vires,fortitudo,vigilantia
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Wizard,

Have you sold any of these tools that you've built?

Tom

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Patents are worth a whole lot less than they used to be. In most cases, they are not worth the effort.

There is one angle you may want to try: A Provisional Patent.

Provisional Patents don't get read, they just get a file number and get filed. In a year, they expire and vanish into the memory hole.

The good news is that during that year, nobody knows what features you have patented, and you can mark the product "patent pending". It does keep the flies off, at least a little bit. And it does change your negotiating position if you try to sell the design.

The fee may have changed, but for most of us, the fee used to be $75. And you can write it up yourself.

Be not weary in well doing.
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Denton,

Thanks for that info. I think I'm going to go the route of non-disclosure and pitch to the big boys. I will simultaneously sell some on here if I can only get the manufacturing costs in line. So far not so good on that front. I'm targeting a sales price of $40.

I will finalizing my plans over the next sixty days.

I'm still willing to hear from anyone with any experience pitching to a player like Hornady or Lee.

Tom

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
tedthorn speaks for all of us - put me down for two. Do you make them for magnums yet?

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,730 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,729
Posts18,514,326
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.