Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
My wife and I were recently discussing regional differences in cooking and cooking styles. She is from Upper State New York while I am Texian and southern all the way.

The exact disagreement was about sauce for pasta. She cooks a VERY Italian style sauce that is very much tomato based with lots of vegitables. I, on the other hand grew up with sauce being mushroom based with a LOT of meat included.

I begin with a light rue.....then add cream or milk and once thickened add mushrooms, onions and garlic. I also like black olives and lots of basil in my sauce (which I guess is sort of Italian).

She starts with crushed or cubed tomatoes, tomato sauce and lots of weird vegitables like bell peppers and zoo-keeny......but does include garlic, onions and mushrooms. The main difference is that she adds sausage chunks as a meat.....and not much of that. It's more of a vegitable mix with a hint of meat flavor......while I tend to include ground meat, cubed chunks of meat, sausage and chunks of salt pork to mine (more of a meat sauce with vegitable highlights).

Just wondering if this is a regional thing (as I contend) or is just a family thing as she thinks. My family is a group of serious carnivours......but I think it's because we had a severe shortage of Eye-Talians in East Texas.

After all.....we don't put tomato sauce over our chicken fried steak either.......like some I know.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My wife's Dad and his family immigrated to America from Genoa Italy after WW I.
The family settled in Buffalo NY, and is still very Italian to this day. Most of the descendants still speak Italian at home.

My Father in Law married a true Daughter of the South, a beauty from Duck Hill Mississippi. That changed his part of the family forever. laugh

I have a collection of all the old family favorite recipes, and they reflect the heritage of their being from Genoa.

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Mom's family is from Chieti. A small town called Polutri, to be exact. When I was a kid, and everyone was able, we'd grow about a hundred tomato plants. We'd pick the tomatoes, cut an X in the bottom of each one and dunk them in boiling water. Peel them and dice. Use a funnel and dowel and stuffed chopped tomatoes, basil, and sliced garlic into Pepsi bottles. We boiled them for 3 or 4 hours and put them up.

For sauce, put a little olive oil in a pan and cook a couple diced garlic cloves. Add about a half a diced onion and cook a little. Add the tomatoes and cook for 2 or 3 hours on low heat. You can use as is or add (as my Grandma did) a pork chop or couple ribs.

Today, we use Rinaldi or Hunt's sauce. In the same manner, start with olive oil and cut up a couple garlic cloves, a half an onion, and cook down. Add the sauce and a handful of chopped basil. That's it. I dilute this to make pasta [bleep] with ditalini and cannellini beans, add hamburger for meat sauce, or go full tilt and add meatballs and grilled sausage. Whatever.

My home town is full of Italians. The American Legion I cooked at for 12 years was all Italian, and never have I ever seen tomato sauce with vegetables in it. Ever! That's got to depend on where you're from.

Our big foods:
Stuffed artichokes (made yesterday)
Escharole and cannellini beans
Broccoli Rabe and Italian Sausage
Italian Sausage and roasted potatoes
Frittatas, mostly egg and potato
Pasta [bleep]
Chicken and Eggplant Parm.
String beans and potatoes with tomato sauce
Cod fish and potatoes
Pasta with red sauce or garlic and olive oil
Stuffed peppers
Polenta with mushrooms and Italian Sausage.

I don't know if that points to a region there.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I am not Italian not even close. But I do enjoy the food. I have found that there are many different takes on sauces. I go the same route as you start with a jarred store bought sauce and adjust it with various fresh ingredients as well as extra seasoning. Cook it slow to blend everything together.I end up with just as good of sauce as made from scratch by Italian cooks. Just cause you spend a bunch of time on it does not mean the end result will be better.

I do have one trick with my sauce or any tomato based sauce. Sometimes you get that real acidic bitter tomato thing going on in a sauce. The bitterness of the tomato overpowers any flavor. Take a whole carrot peeled ends cut off. Cook it in the sauce for about a hour then discard the carrot. It mellows out the flavor and gets rid of the bitterness. Every tomato sauce I do from pasta sauce to chili I cook a carrot in it. Makes a big difference.

Last edited by mike7mm08; 03/01/12.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by rob p
My Mom's family is from Chieti. A small town called Polutri, to be exact. When I was a kid, and everyone was able, we'd grow about a hundred tomato plants. We'd pick the tomatoes, cut an X in the bottom of each one and dunk them in boiling water. Peel them and dice. Use a funnel and dowel and stuffed chopped tomatoes, basil, and sliced garlic into Pepsi bottles. We boiled them for 3 or 4 hours and put them up.

For sauce, put a little olive oil in a pan and cook a couple diced garlic cloves. Add about a half a diced onion and cook a little. Add the tomatoes and cook for 2 or 3 hours on low heat. You can use as is or add (as my Grandma did) a pork chop or couple ribs.

Today, we use Rinaldi or Hunt's sauce. In the same manner, start with olive oil and cut up a couple garlic cloves, a half an onion, and cook down. Add the sauce and a handful of chopped basil. That's it. I dilute this to make pasta [bleep] with ditalini and cannellini beans, add hamburger for meat sauce, or go full tilt and add meatballs and grilled sausage. Whatever.

My home town is full of Italians. The American Legion I cooked at for 12 years was all Italian, and never have I ever seen tomato sauce with vegetables in it. Ever! That's got to depend on where you're from.

Our big foods:
Stuffed artichokes (made yesterday)
Escharole and cannellini beans
Broccoli Rabe and Italian Sausage
Italian Sausage and roasted potatoes
Frittatas, mostly egg and potato
Pasta [bleep]
Chicken and Eggplant Parm.
String beans and potatoes with tomato sauce
Cod fish and potatoes
Pasta with red sauce or garlic and olive oil
Stuffed peppers
Polenta with mushrooms and Italian Sausage.

I don't know if that points to a region there.

I'm right with you Pizan...desendants from near Palermo Sicily

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by TexasRick
My wife and I were recently discussing regional differences in cooking and cooking styles. She is from Upper State New York while I am Texian and southern all the way.

The exact disagreement was about sauce for pasta. She cooks a VERY Italian style sauce that is very much tomato based with lots of vegitables. I, on the other hand grew up with sauce being mushroom based with a LOT of meat included.

I begin with a light rue.....then add cream or milk and once thickened add mushrooms, onions and garlic. I also like black olives and lots of basil in my sauce (which I guess is sort of Italian).

She starts with crushed or cubed tomatoes, tomato sauce and lots of weird vegitables like bell peppers and zoo-keeny......but does include garlic, onions and mushrooms. The main difference is that she adds sausage chunks as a meat.....and not much of that. It's more of a vegitable mix with a hint of meat flavor......while I tend to include ground meat, cubed chunks of meat, sausage and chunks of salt pork to mine (more of a meat sauce with vegitable highlights).

Just wondering if this is a regional thing (as I contend) or is just a family thing as she thinks. My family is a group of serious carnivours......but I think it's because we had a severe shortage of Eye-Talians in East Texas.

After all.....we don't put tomato sauce over our chicken fried steak either.......like some I know.
Probably has to do with whether someone's ancestors came from southern or northern Italy. In the south, you're less likely to start with a roux or to use cream.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

I'm right with you Pizan...desendants from near Palermo Sicily
My Grandmother was from Palermo. Grandpa was from Catania.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
All I know is I use Hawkeyes' recipe and I ain't changing for nothing or nobody. My oldest daughter who continually got sick when eating pasta sauce from every recipe I had ever tried, does not get sick when she eats Hawkeyes' recipe. It's versatile, not complicated or expensive to make, and more importantly it is DELICIOUS ! grin

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I like to use a little more parsley and not so much garlic and I add about a tablespoon of brown sugar.This is about the same as adding wine. Takes a little of the tomatoe acidic taste out. My father and his parents were from northern Italy.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn
All I know is I use Hawkeyes' recipe and I ain't changing for nothing or nobody. My oldest daughter who continually got sick when eating pasta sauce from every recipe I had ever tried, does not get sick when she eats Hawkeyes' recipe. It's versatile, not complicated or expensive to make, and more importantly it is DELICIOUS ! grin
Thanks, Miss Lynn.

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
In our area the Italians sauce is always tomato based. They also use chicken, ribs or steak to cook in the sauce. The meat is later taken out and eaten on the side. It is also called "red gravy" not sauce. I don't know where the local Italians came from, but they came to work in the iron ore mines of the Upper Penninsula.

Long

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by longwinters
In our area the Italians sauce is always tomato based. They also use chicken, ribs or steak to cook in the sauce. The meat is later taken out and eaten on the side. It is also called "red gravy" not sauce. I don't know where the local Italians came from, but they came to work in the iron ore mines of the Upper Penninsula.

Long
Americans of Italian lineage have different English to describe it, depending on where they settled in America. In New York, if it's a tomato sauce made with meat, it's called gravy. If it has no meat, then it's called a sauce. Sunday grave is a meat sauce that takes several hours, and sometime all day, to make. My grandfather made what he called a quick sauce (because it only cooked long enough to break down the fresh tomatoes, about ten or fifteen minutes), which was made with fresh plumb tomatoes he grew in his garden, garlic, olive oil, wine, and basil also from his garden. This is delicious in its own way. He also made a marinara that was made only with canned tomatoes and took at least an hour of simmering.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Thanks, Miss Lynn.

Okay Lynn knows food for sure---Post it up!!! Please.

Last edited by byc; 03/01/12.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by byc
Thanks, Miss Lynn.

Okay---Post it up!!! Please.
Well, there's two of them, but I think I gave Lynn the hour simmer sauce. Just start with about a tablespoon full of lard in a pot, heat it, and saute one large chopped onion in it till soft. Then one or two crushed cloves of garlic for an additional thirty seconds. Then a quarter cup of extra virgin olive oil (swirl it around with the onions a bit), and three cans of plum/Roma tomatoes (preferably, certified San Marzano, by Cento) that have each had the hard parts and bits of skin removed by hand and discarded, then crushed by hand before putting in the pot. Then the liquid that came in the cans goes in, along with two teaspoons of salt. Bring to a boil, then down to a simmer for one hour uncovered. Before serving throw in some fresh basil torn up in pieces. Really very simple, but that's the way it's traditionally done. Nothing complicated about a simple Italian American tomato-basil pasta sauce.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Well, there's two of them, but I think I gave Lynn the hour simmer sauce.

Yep, and Lynn and her two daughters had some tonight with pasta and a little pecorino romano grated on top. Some grilled chicken thighs on the side, and voila ! It was really, really good, as always ! smile

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (06hunter59, 1936M71, 222Sako, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 67 invisible), 2,581 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,715
Posts18,475,585
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.