Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I have a CZ, the long barreled one with military type sights. I forget the model number. Thru the Hawkeye borescope, CZ barrels are a work of art, no machine marks at all. They look like a match Krieger. This CZ is super accurate and I can see what you're saying. With top guns, it often gets down to the individual rifle, as they all can vary somewhat even within the same brand and model.

DF

Dirtfarmer,

I know a couple of guys in Canada that use those long barreled CZ's (actually, these are older and stamped Brno) with subsonic ammo to quietly shoot vermin without bothering anybody.

I don't know the barrel length, but I think it is even longer than 26 inches. Sounds like a pellet gun -- a quiet pellet gun.

John

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The model is 452-2E ZKM. The barrel is 28 3/4" long. It's not quite that long but longer than 28 5/8", so I'm sure it's the nearest even metric measurement to that. The sights are heavy duty, steel military style and are impressive. The trigger can be adjusted by spring strength to what ever pull one wants. Mine is around 3# and is very crisp and clean.

It shoots very tight groups and it's a keeper.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I checked the CZ website and similar looking rifles with that model number and with the military looking sights have 630mm barrels, which is around 24.8".

In metric numbers, my rifle barrel would be 725-730mm, which isn't listed. So, maybe they don't make them that long any more. Like I said, mine isn't going anywhere.

DF

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Back to the Originial post.....between the CZ and the Ruger.....I have had both....I own the Ruger now. I am not overly fond of the backwards safety....or the 5 round clip. Love the 10 round rotary clip in the Ruger..love the way it carries. I put a Timney in my CZ....after that fiasco I am done with Timney. Put a Rifle Basix in my Ruger...love that gun/trigger combo.

In the past year I had a Cooper and a Winchester 52 Repo. Winchester was ok gun...nothing special but heavy. Cooper.....shot well but no better than my Ruger. Cost 3.5 times as much....would have cried if I had scratched it. Sold it to someone who liked it better than I did and I don't regret it. If I want to kill something I grab the ruger.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I don't own the Ruger, but a good friend has one that he likes a lot. They are OK once the trigger situation is addressed.

I agree with the CZ safety being sorta weird. Takes some getting used to. Between the two, I prefer the CZ.

IMHO,

DF

IC B2

E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by BenelliHunter
I put a Timney in my CZ....after that fiasco I am done with Timney

What was the problem with the Timney?

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
B
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I checked the CZ website and similar looking rifles with that model number and with the military looking sights have 630mm barrels, which is around 24.8".

In metric numbers, my rifle barrel would be 725-730mm, which isn't listed. So, maybe they don't make them that long any more. Like I said, mine isn't going anywhere.

DF

The model in question is a CZ 452 Ultra Lux or UL. It is listed as having a 28.5" barrel.The stock is beech. The sites are fantastic and the gun is very quiet AND accurate. There are 2 similar looking models with the shorter barrels, a Lux and a Trainer/Special. the only difference is that the Lux has a Walnut stock and the Trainer is Beech.
You can go to rimfirecentral.com and see how passionate the members are about their CZs.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Pick up a cheap used ruger and have a lilja barrel installed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bauer

I spy an oxymoron .... cheap in conjunction with used ruger .... smile

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would say Anschutz. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used one either. Two of my friends have old ones and the guns shoot better than they do. If you don't care about "new" I looked for years and picked up a Rem 40X Rangemaster. I bought a Microfit stock for it and it shoots. I just mentioned in another post that it likes RWS 40 grain std velocity ammo. I shot under a half inch at 100 yds with in a couple days ago on a pretty windy day. I have a 36 power scope on it and it's not uncommon to see bullets impacting in the same place. You can make cloverleafs at 100 yds if it's calm out. With the Redfield Olympic sights the rifle came with I won both 100 yard matches my club has run.

One thing though, it's heavy. It's got a barrel that looks like it's at least 26 or 28 inches long. My gunsmith wants to hack off some. He said it wouldn't affect the accuracy but I don't know if I should chance it.

Championship shooting supplies is the US importer of Anschutz and they have regular sales and closeouts. I paid about $1000 by the time I was done with my Rem, and the Anschutz sporters can be had for that.

http://www.championshooters.com/store/pages.php?pageid=5

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by avagadro
Originally Posted by Bauer

I spy an oxymoron .... cheap in conjunction with used ruger .... smile

By the time you bought a Ruger, added a new trigger and a new barrel, you'd have spent more than the cost of a Cooper or an Anschutz. Doubt the new custom rig would out shoot either one.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rob - your gunsmith is right - sort of. The shorter length won't reduce accuracy, especially if you're using a scope. But cutting the barrel will introduce a chance of ending up with a less-than-perfect barrel crown - and that can reduce accuracy for sure.

How much do you trust the guy's work? If it was me, I'd leave well enough alone.

edit: Come to think of it - if that barrel is long enough to reduce velocities so bullets leave the barrel at subsonic speeds, and shortening it allows them to exit the muzzle above subsonic - it still could effect accuracy anyway. But that's just speculation on my part.

Last edited by FreeMe; 01/11/12.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Most accurate bolt sporter that I have shot/owned is my Kimber Classic

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Most accurate out of the box?
Take a look at what the serious smallbore target guys and gals shoot at the National Championships at Camp Perry (the people who are shooting 240 tens (out of 240 shots), and at the Olympics....mostly it'll be Anschutz and Walther.
As accurate as some of the other guns that have been mentioned are, one does not see them on the line in serious smallbore competition. Why do you suppose that is?
Of course, there is the cost issue....but that was not part of the OP.
Pete

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
Karl Wallenda
F
F
cz455 with heavy barrel,thumbhole stock, fitted with Optik 3-9.by 50 scope and for noise reduction a sirocco moderator. i am an agent for a firearms dealer and i mount and zero all the rifles from the shop and for looks and performance and cost i find this combo cant be beat. they just love remington sub sonic.

bad day hunting is better than a good day at work.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have an accutrigger savage 22LR MKII that doesnt miss nickles at 50 yards with thunderbolts. 4-12x40 scope.
I think i have $250 in the package. warne rings, weaver bases at $50 of that.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
This is still my most accurate 22 rimfire. A Rem 37.

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by PeteD
Take a look at what the serious smallbore target guys and gals shoot at the National Championships at Camp Perry (the people who are shooting 240 tens (out of 240 shots), and at the Olympics....mostly it'll be Anschutz and Walther.
As accurate as some of the other guns that have been mentioned are, one does not see them on the line in serious smallbore competition. Why do you suppose that is?
Pete

I would say the reason is because it's a very small niche market. Most gun companies want volume sales. Also with a niche market like that its harder to break into the market. I don't doubt for a minute that Cooper could very well compete in that market if they desired to.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I"m certainly no "expert", but from what I've seen, I'd say the top of the line Anschutz, if not impossible to beat, must be very hard to beat for accuracy.

But for us common folks, the CZ453 "varmint" model with a heavy barrel & a single set trigger, at less than 1/3rd the cost of the top "Annie", are hard to beat for pure accuracy for the "buck".

My own pillar-bedded CZ453 "varmint" .22 rimfire shoots pretty darned good with Wolf Match/Target. Never had enough desire to try the top Eley ammo due to it's high cost, but even Wolf Match/Target is getting outta my price range these days.

Jus' my 2�... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by PeteD
Pete

I would say the reason is because it's a very small niche market. Most gun companies want volume sales. Also with a niche market like that its harder to break into the market. I don't doubt for a minute that Cooper could very well
compete in that market if they desired to.

MCH: I don't see what markets, niche or otherwise, have to do with the answer to my question ("Why do you suppose that is?" Why are Anschutz/Walther rifles the almost universal choice of elite shooters?).
It is not a matter of Cooper or CZ or Ruger competing....those shooters are always looking for some advantage - something that will give them another X -
if they could spend less and shoot as well or better, that is an easy choice for anyone to make. But, they don't use the Cooper's, et al, and it has nothing to do with marketing.
Pete

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
Karl Wallenda
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (12344mag, 1234, 007FJ, 1936M71, 160user, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,498 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,685
Posts18,475,096
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.