Print Thread
Hop To
B
BSAJoe Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Would those of you who have installed the xs sight system on their rifles with 2.5x scope, please share your comments with me?
I plan to mount it on a Marlin 336. Should I use a IER or EER or pistol scope?
Thanks in advance,

Joe
in Houston
Always looking for BSA Lee Speed commercial sporters
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Recently mounted a Nikon red dot on XS rail on a 336. (Had the same sight mounted on receiver with Weaver mounts 'til I got the XS). I think the XS mount carries and balances waay better. Never tried a scope in this scenario--sorry.

Last edited by XCIX; 10/31/05.

"...the IInd Amendment is not about duck hunting..." Suzanne Hupp
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I have the Leupold 2.5x on the XS scout scope rail on my 336 and I really like it. Taking it deer hunting for the first time this weekend, so I can't tell you how well it works in the field.

The Leupold is a M8 model, and I believe it is Intermediate Eye Relief, not Long Eye Relief. You should be able to get that information from Leupold's site. As another data point, I put a pistol scope (Long Eye Relief) in a scout configuration on a Swiss K31 last weekend. That was not a workable situation. The scope was too close to the eye to get the full field of view, and the parallax at all ranges was terrible. Granted, it was a cheap scope, but the end result was that I shot better groups with the irons than I did with that scope combination.

Last edited by kasTX; 11/01/05.
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Joe,

I just noticed you are in Houston. Are you a member of PSC by chance?

R
RGS Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Leupold's M8 scout scopes have been replaced with the FX scout. I have one of each. Not sure why the change, but either works fine.

You need about a 9" eye relief for a scout scope. I hear some pistol scopes will work, but be careful and check it out.
Most don't give a full field of view that close as you have seen. I have a FX eer 4x on one of my hand guns and wondered if it would work on the scout rifle. Short answer is no due to too long of an eye relief. Also once you get much more than 2x the scout consept of keeping both eyes open to compensate for the smaller field of view gets tricky, so a pistol scope would have to be low power.

Rick
IC B2

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Update on XS sight system/scout scope:

I took the rifle hunting for the first time, and I have to say, I am inpressed with the utility of the setup.

The first deer was taken from a stand at approximately 40 yards. Magnification was just right for that distance, whereas higher magnification might have resulted in the deer filling the entire field of view. Open sights would have worked just as well at that distance, I believe.

Second deer was taken at approximately 125 yards at the very end of shooting hours. It was getting quite dark, and realistically too dark for open sights. The scope made the difference here. I was watching him work his way closer for about 10 minutes, but was waiting for a broadside shot with him facing away from the direction of the neighbor's fence, figuring that if he didn't go down right away, he might make it over the fence. As it turns out, shot placement was perfect, and he went down immediately. A little more magnification would have been nice here, but would not have made a difference in the outcome.

Overall I highly recommend the scout configuration, just make sure you get a scope made specifically for the purpose.

C
css Offline
C
I have the XS on a 94 Marlin and have been very pleased with it. Had a Mariln 45/70 with the mount and could swap the scope if needed.
Needed funds for something else and the 45/70 went down the road. I've got one of the new 336 ss in 35 rem i'm thinking about putting an XS mount on it. Right now its wearing one of the WWG Ghost Rings, Here are a few pics [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

C
css Offline
C
WOW, Sorry about the giant pic's Next time I'll try to resize them.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (1minute, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 204guy, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,349 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,023
Posts18,500,462
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.