Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Hell no!.........Obama can take the Chevy Volt and shove it up**********.

Obama was quoted saying, that he will buy a new Volt after he leaves office.

Then how about a brand new "2013" Volt for ya there Mr. President??

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HawkI
No, its more than that, but the real issue is that spent batteries of this type are a real PITA to get rid of and the costs associated with them are full of feel good fines to those who have to handle them. The consumer has no clue.
The idea that the materials used to make these batteries are "green", more so than lead acid, is laughable. The idea that these materials are more plentiful and cost efficient, even more so.

Are the metals/materials in these batteries hazardous waste that has to be stored or can the materials be seperated and recycled?

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Lithium ion batteries are supposedly not really hazardous, but they aren't "recyclable". Note also they are made in third world countries without any real analysis of toxicity, so who knows?.
Nickel and other special alloys can be recycled, but are hazardous, some far more so than lead. The other environmental impact is the mining of nickel itself.

I have two liquid NiCd batteries in the retail store that no "recycler" apparently will help me with.

The whole idea of a "green" job is an excessive expenditure to dispose, "recycle" or promote fees upon those who manufacture or distribute items, period.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Wtxj
That old e mail has been around: I don't think any in the US pays $1.16 KWH. More like .116 KWH.

I wonder how much per KWH if the grid had to support the entire driving population at charging time; i.e., right now, the number of electric cars on the road is a pittance. Just thinking in the summer in our great state with all the ACs running if everyone drove an electric car, wouldn't that be a hoot?

Same argument for biodiesel. It's only relatively cheap with just a few drivers on the road. If everyone started trying to run biodiesel, what would the cost of vegetable oil go to? And side effects to other agricultural products? Ethanol shows us a mere glimpse of what it could be since it's only used as an additive.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I will ride a bicycle before I will buy a Volt.

I think Obama meant to have the car named Volk but GM made a mistake

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I'll buy a gasoline/electric (via a battery) powered car when the car gets a LOT less expensive and when the battery will take the car a LOT further on a single charge than a battery will take it NOW... and when there is no "issue" when the time comes to replace the battery!!!

When (IF) that time ever comes, send me an email. Of course, by the time all of this happens, I'll probably be DEAD !~!~!

And sooooooo... in the meantime, I'll stick with gasoline powered cars in my driveway. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

TBS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Chevy needs to go back to what is does best. That is building crappy cars with poor rack and pinion, lousy brakes, alternators, water pumps etc. etc. People will buy those!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The cost of electricity in the New York areas as of October 2011 was $0.191. At 16 kwh x $0.191 per kwh it costs $3.06 to charge the battery. That works out to $0.12 per mile to operate the Volt using the battery if you drive like Bolling. For others who get 35 miles per charge it works out to $0.08 per mile at New York rates or $0.05 per mile using the national average residential retail price of electricity of 11.53 cents per kilowatt-hour. That's like paying about $1.85 a gallon for gas.

Here�s where I got the 11.53 cents per kilowatt-hour from: Electricity Prices by State

I see in the April 2012 issue of Motor Trend on page 32 that SunPower is working with Nissan and Ford while SunLogic is working with GM to produce affordable home solar charging units that can provide enough power for 12,000 miles of driving a year in most locations. Honda is developing their own home solar charging units using a thin-film copper-indium-gallium-selenide (CIGS) technology that Honda says has real world performance close to that of the more expensive silicon technology. Amortizing the cost of a $10,000 solar charging unit over 5 years at 12,000 miles a year comes out to 17 cents per mile, but over the 25 year warranty the cost could be as low as 3 cents per mile.

With affordable home solar charging units, we could soon be at a tipping point where the total cost (purchase price + maintenance + fuel) of electric passenger vehicles will be less than similar gas vehicles.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If they keep working on it, someone will come up with a good, usable, affordable car. In the meantime, we need oil and that's where Obama is royally screwing us.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Don't belive it the charger about 10 grand with hook up

Last edited by savage62; 03/03/12.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Don't and will never buy any GM product.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
i dunno. when a civilization is coming to the end of the age of oil, all kinds of things have to be considered.

the early adopters are possibly very right, but if they are wrong, it could be very expensive for them.

it looks like we're doing all we can to keep folks driving four wheel vehicles as long as we can.

compare that to mass-transit? competing technologies are battling it out, as we move further into the post-modern era.

bicyles, anyone? sorry, i'm being overly sarcastic. personnally, i have no problem with riding donkeys, mules, and horses. but they're not really practicable.

but, magnetic fast transit, with mini-cars at the stations to drive to work, might that be feasible?

in my humble view, look at Honda, Toyota, and others and see what direction they are headed, and follow them. it's just that simple.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So I guess no one in this group of 38,000 signed up people have bought a VOLT. There is your answer OP.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
If they keep working on it, someone will come up with a good, usable, affordable car. In the meantime, we need oil and that's where Obama is royally screwing us.

I certainly agree we need much more domestic drilling for both oil and NG. We also need much better battery technology for electric cars to become practical. Many on 24hr don't like the Volt because of the government money involved. I understand that, but I look at the technology the Volt represents. It's a way to get the benefits of electric transportation most of the time, while not having to worry about limited range. What I'm really interested in is the Volt's successors that we'll see in 5 to 10 years.

[video:youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAYrsEOxqYc[/video]

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
true enough. we're betting the last incremental changes to assist a four-wheel economy versus or compared to a new mass-transit economy.

which is right? well, the four wheelers have won so far, after they took over the horse and buggy world.

for the future, i think all bets are off, or on. grin

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Would be open to using one for mundane commute to work/back, if/when all of the above are addressed (cost of purchase, real operating cost, and real battery maint & recycle costs). In the mean time, thuggish .gov behavior only earns more disdain. And I'll continue to bomb the highway in a glorious V8 while a guy still can grin

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll buy a Chevy Volt when one wins the Daytona 500 in record time for all 500 races.

NRA Lifetime Member
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
true enough. my 3/4 ton Chevy, with a 4 bolt main, with 4 bbl.carb loves to haul a big load.

i like the idea of drilling fast, and drilling more. but, the petroleum supply is limited, unless it is increasing in supply as we speak. of course technology always comes into play, sooner or later.

while electric cars does exhibit a bit of "paradigm change" there are other factors at play.

what if in the final analysis that it turns out to be cheaper, over all, to include mass transit and local 4 wheel and bicycle transportation, for free? for free? there ain't nothing free is there?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The state of WA has it all covered. According to a short blurb in Pop. Mechanics, they're planning to install charging stations every 40 to 60 miles along I-5. The long range plan is to extend them clear to the MX border. Unfortunately, the article didn't mention where the power is supposed to come from.

Also, since the Volt only gets 25 miles/charge, stations at 40 to 60 mile intervals can leave you stranded.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Also, since the Volt only gets 25 miles/charge, stations at 40 to 60 mile intervals can leave you stranded.

Guess people still don't understand what an extended range electric car is. When the battery is discharged after 35 miles or so, the Volt runs on gas just like a regular car.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1234, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,566 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,816
Posts18,516,649
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.