Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
as the topic indicates, what's your hunting vehicle?
<br>
<br>I'm thinking of getting a Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab 4x4. Not sure wether to get the 4 or 6 cylinder.
<br>
<br>
<br> Leo
<br>
<br>
<br>

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Probably not a better pick up on the market, but almost $30K, would go with the 6 banger.
<br>
<br>I have a 83 vintage, 4 drive, multi gear tranny, 2 stirrup, 2 rein, go anywhere unit in a mule.
<br>
<br>
<br>Problem is I had to get a 98 Dodge Diesel/4WD, 5 sp, Quad cab and 20 ft gooseneck trailer to get him there along with the pack animals & tack. Also have to feed it when not is use. Your way is pobably cheaper.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Sick
Campfire Outfitter
P
Anything my hunting buddies own.[Linked Image] Although for years we used my Dads Ford F-250 crew cab that we put a Mitsubishi 6DS diesel in, and the odd time we use a Dakota 4X4, plus a chevy 3+3 4X4.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Saddlesore,
<br>
<br> I think that I'd be able to get the Tacoma Extended Cab 4x4 SR5 V6 for $25K out the door. Just gotta see if Toyota offers their special financing [Linked Image] I also plan to keep this truck 8-10 years.
<br>
<br> Leo

leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Partsman,
<br>
<br> I've done that too. But it it gets old from both sides of the fence. Since I'm going to need a new vehicle either this year or next, might as well think of pickup to help in my hunting endeavors. Great thing is the wife likes pickup trucks [Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There's Toyota and then there's everything else. Currently I'm using a tough old 87 Toyota 4runner. My next 4x4 will be a Toyota extended cab V6.

Is it Friday yet?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Toyota extended cab from 1995, just over 100k on it now. Only thing I have replaced is tires 3 times, starter, that poor thing had such horrible duty stating and stopping my truck endlessly when I was working on the treefarm. I was surprised it lasted 80K! I have not changed a headlight, dome light, tail light, or any lightbulb yet. I did replace all the belts and hoses last fall just becasue they were old, none had broken since new.
<br>
<br>I also replaced the front Bumper with an ARB winch bumper for my winch. I swapped out the ring and pinion gears for higher ratio units because I switched to 16" wheels and 5" taller tires. The new Ring and pinions keep my final drive the same so I have no power loss. Actually I gained 5% in torque because it was as close as I could get in the ratio. When I did that I added a Detroit Locker to the rear axel and a Detroit Tru trac to the front. My current tires are 275-85R-16's BFgoodrich mud terrain. Later this summer I will have to get new tires, theses are about worn out. I will probably go with BFG all terrain TA's. With the limited slip front and the locker in the rear really agressive noisey tires are not needed anymore.
<br>
<br>The funny thing to me is that I only have a straight 4 cyl 2.4 liter. With a puny engine like that I don't have enough torque to break any drive line component! Traction is unmatched when compared my stock vehicle. All 4 of my tires really turn with torque to the earth now. Not just one in the front and one in the back like open Diffs or limited slips do. That tiny little 4 banger with that low range selection it will go pretty darn good. May not be good for pulling trailers up over highway mountain passes at 75MPH but that little bugger will get you there if you're patient.
<br>
<br>The same trucks are sold in South Africa with lockers and diesels, why not here? I would love to buy a new Toyota 4 door pickup with a diesel engine. Until then I'll just creep along with this little 4 cyl truck. I figure its good for another 100K the way it runs right now.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
T
Tom Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
My 86 jeep is 6 cyl. with 297k miles and doesn't hunt much anymore, till I get the high gear working right again. Its been replaced with a 93 F150, 6 cyl., also 4x4, with 33 inch tires. Its got over 150k and we're going hog hunting this weekend, full moon hunt, but clouds may interfere.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
92 Cheverolet Silverado, extended cab 5.7 liter (350 V-8) extended cab with tool box on back. oh yea 4wd automatic.
<br>
<br>178,000 miles and climbing, it's my daily driver and my hunting vehicle.
<br>
<br>I really need to get my 66 mustang back on the road...

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a white (doesn't show dirt) 2001, Toyota, Tacoma, extra cab, with Rhino lining, automatic, 4x4, 6cyl. for myself and one friend. For larger group or elk hunting when more stuff is neaded I have a '95 Dodge V10, extra cab, 4x4, automatic, 8.5 ft. camper.

Rolly
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Like JJhack, I have a little 89 Toyota 4 banger 4wd, short cab, Only I have 212K on it. Brakes, starter, tires, front seal, water pump is the only thing it has needed., Figuring less than $700 on all those, It comes out pretty cheap per year.
<br>The only time I neede a bigger engine was 4 wheeling down in the SW corner of CO. Didn't have enough compression to hold it back even in 4WD low, but it was some nasty country.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a '93 GMC 1500 4x4 with a V-8 350 , its my hunting vehicle when i go alone or with one other perosn. When my dad and i go with some buddies we take his 98 GMC 2500 Ext. Cab 4x4 Vortec V-8 .
<br>YH

MARLIN 35Rem. THE ONLY WAY TO GO!!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I picked up a '96 Ford F150 Ext. Cab 4X4 as my hunting rig last year. Quite a difference from my '85 S10 2X4!!! Didn't need four wheel drive all that much in IN hunting, but learned the advantages of it this past Jan. in AZ!!
<br>
<br>For you Toyota lovers, what's your opinion of the Tundra?? They're just made down the highway from where I was born and raised in IN. They sure are purty!!!;)

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Leo, I have nothing but praise for the Toyota, my 4-Runner was finaly put to rest after it had achieved slightly over 4 hundred thousand miles. it was an 85 with a four cylinder engine, Replaced the clutch at 220k replaced the exhaust system a couple times the Efi gave up and the transmision was getting kinda loud. The real culprit was rust the body was starting to rust.
<br>I now hunt with an Isuzu Trooper, the verdict has yet to be rendered, seems like a good rig so far.
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I have two. One is an 89 Dodge 3/4 ton w/ Cummins diesel. It carrys my 9 ft. 10 inch Lance Camper. I don't off road anymore with it. I got a Jeep Wrangler for that. The truck has about 260,000 miles on it, and works fine.
<br> The Jeep is very handy to have. Easy to get into bad places and to scout with. If I break it, I should be able to haul the Jeep home with the truck/camper rig. E

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Whatever Muk-luks I got on my feet at the time! ~~~Suluuq

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Mine is an 83 chevy 1/2 ton 4X4. Nothing special, it runs great and body is in really good shape. Best part is, its paid for and if it gets thrashed, I'm not out to much. could care less (well, I'd be pissed but I wouldnt lose sleep over it). I just use it to go to work and pull our raft. It has about 160,000 miles on it.
<br>
<br>My wife has a 93 chevy 1/2 ton 4X4 and if I ask nicely, she lets me use it. Sometimes its just nice to have a radio [Linked Image] hers just topped the 80,000mile mark.

leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Wow! I thought if I mention I want a Toyota pick up for my hunting vehicle, I'd get flame to a crisp.
<br>
<br>
<br>The Toyota Tacoma, I want will also be used as my daily driver. I rack up a lot of miles between work and other driving so I'm glad to hear the Toyotas last loooong time.
<br>
<br>JJ, You modified your Toyota quite a bit. The do offer an 4-door Tacoma w/ I-6 automatic only. Get the TRD and you get locking rear diff.
<br>
<br>The Tundra would be best with 8 cylinder in extend/acess cab. Suppose to come out with crew cab in 2004.
<br>
<br>The 4Runners are also great vehicle, but too expensive for me.
<br>
<br>Isuzu Troopers are very good vehicles from what I heard. Reliability right up there with Toyota.
<br>
<br>
<br> Leo
<br>

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I have a 2000 tacoma 2 door extended cab. I am up to 48K with no problems. Never ha to do anything other than regular services. can not say that about any GM product I ever owned. I have the TRD package and a 6 banger they work really well here in the mountians. I have not had to use the locking diff so far. I have the auto tranny and the auto locking hubs. shifting into and out of 4x4 is great. Here in Denver area we do get snow so the easy shifting is a real benny. I will not ever own anything other than a toyota again. I wish I could talk my wife into letting me get the 4 door model, but I don't think that is going to happen. tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Leo, I never thought I really did that much to my truck. I guess it's a regional thing? Most guys that spend a fair amount of time in the mountains have to sort through a few things to get it right. As far as the TRD "locking difff" well the ones I have seen are limited slip units with clutch packs. Not for me, you must have high sped wheel spin to get them to latch. they will not work under 10MPH for Toyota's Liability from what Toyota has told me. They are to worried about roll overs or something? I know two people who have smoked those clutch pack as well. To much maintainance with the special oil and the wear and tear. I'll take the after market Detroit 100% gear driven units every time.
<br>
<br>Same for the "shift on the fly" auto front hubs. I have personally never known a single person who actually uses their 4X4 as a 4X4 keep them intact. I have had three vehicles with them and not a single one lasted for me. On the Ford I had the dealer changed them three times in the first 60k the first Toyota I had they were smoked and swapped out with manual, same with the Jeep. It's a clever Idea for the highway but don't expect them to last in deep snow or when the only traction you have is with the front tires.
<br>
<br>The third set on the ford truck was amusing. The first time out I was high centered on a water bar. Waterbars are local road conditions to allow winter run off of melting snow. Prevents the roads from becoming streams. Anyhow, I pushed that fancy electronic button and felt the front tires turn. However there was a ratcheting sound from the front axel. Reminded me of the cordless drill I have with the torque adjustable collar to prevent sinking sheet rock screws to deep. The truck sat ratcheting away with back tires spinning just barely on the ground and the front tires not moving This little situation happens 3-4 times a week. I bring it back and the Ford service manager says thats the new design! It has an automatic torque limiter to prevent breaking them now.
<br>
<br>Great Idea now the only traction you have is torque limited to prevent you from using the front axel! Never again for me. I''l gladly get out and twist my front hubs to engage the front axel. At least I know with the Detroit true trac and the manual hubs both my tires are gonna turn when I push down the gas pedal. I would assume(probably wrong) that they will eventually get that resolved. As I said every single guy I know who really uses a 4X4 has smoked their auto front hubs so the manufacturers must have figured out how to make them work by now. I have not had them since 1998 on the Ford. My partner has a Chevy and replaced his with after market Manual hubs as well.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

465 members (1minute, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 219 Wasp, 260madman, 44 invisible), 2,150 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,269
Posts18,504,956
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.