Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Hubert Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
You have a watch that ran for 5 years on a battery, it finally goes dead. So you go to wall-mart for a new battery. they only sell them in a pack of two for 6.95. you don't want two because the second one will be out dated before you need it, if you can even find it 5 years from now. and if the watch is still useable after 10 years of riding horses. so you go to radioshack to buy a single battery, and it is 7.95= 1.00 more than wallmart wanted for two. what do you Do?????

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hubert
You have a watch that ran for 5 years on a battery, it finally goes dead. So you go to wall-mart for a new battery. they only sell them in a pack of two for 6.95. you don't want two because the second one will be out dated before you need it, if you can even find it 5 years from now. and if the watch is still useable after 10 years of riding horses. so you go to radioshack to buy a single battery, and it is 7.95= 1.00 more than wallmart wanted for two. what do you Do?????

Is that a trick question, get a self winding watch. grin

The major difference between belief and fact is those who believe something have come to a conclusion no facts will contradict. Well informed people are open to new facts that oppose their beliefs. That also defines an open and closed mind.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Go to Walmart...should be some liberal hanging around needing a free watch battery.....

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
...what do you do???

Drive home and post about it on the internet, obviously.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ebay.! I've got a laser pointer that I use to keep the dog busy. I buy Chinese batteries 10 to a card. Might not be the greatest, I've never compared them,.. but the dog doesn't care.

Can usually get them,.. [color:#3333FF]like these,..[/color][/b] [b]delivered to you door for less than $1.50, including shipping.!

I would spend more than that on gas driving to Wal-Mart...

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I would buy a second watch, to wear on the weekends grin

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
How much gas was burned up riding around doing that price check?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by eh76

Go to Walmart...should be some liberal hanging around needing a free watch battery.....

All the libs I know own Rolex, Omega, and Baume & Mercier type automatics. I have an Omega Seamaster 18k/SS. smile

The major difference between belief and fact is those who believe something have come to a conclusion no facts will contradict. Well informed people are open to new facts that oppose their beliefs. That also defines an open and closed mind.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buy a Timex. It will run 10-12 years, it quits, you buy another one. All at Walmart, of course. Saves battery hassle. grin

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 243WSSM
Originally Posted by eh76

All the libs I know own Rolex, Omega, and Baume & Mercier type automatics. I have an Omega Seamaster 18k/SS. smile

Cool they make great targets for crooks...you know the kind that will cut your arm off for the watch! Sweet deal!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B3

H
Hubert Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by scopey58
How much gas was burned up riding around doing that price check?

None. I was going to both places anyway.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well you have several choices. Pitch the watch and don't worry about what the time is. Use your cellphone for the time. Buy a Citizen eco-drive that doesn't ever require a battery as it is solar powered. Go by a Battery barn and buy one single battery . As a last resort you could do what most ordinary people would do --- buy the 2 from WalMart and use one and pitch the other and go on about your business.

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

I cannot tell you how many hundreds of thousands of batteries I sold at my jewelry store.

Somebody indicated here, whether rightly or wrongly, that it is a 357 battery. Something to keep in mind is the fact that 357s are used in a ton of other devices.

For handloading, I own four electronic digital vernier calipers and they ALL use a 357 battery. Also, literally all of the laser pointers use 357s.

My point is, if WalMart offers two batteries at a killer price, it's quite possible that you might be able to use the second battery.

When I was in the biz, I literally bought batteries by the 100s. I checked the price list from my jewelry supplier and 357s sell for $32.00 per 100 ... basically $0.32 (32 cents) each. AND you know that both the factory and the wholesale house are each making a decent profit.

How in the heck do they manufacture these wonderful mini-power sources so cheaply?

Amazing, absolutely amazing.

Blessings,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The ones in my Seiko & Pulsar watches run for about 7 years & 5 years respectively. I can change the one in my Pulsar but have to send the Seiko in as it is the perpetual Calendar model and requires setting by them! When it's battery dies this time I think I will pitch it. $78.00 plus round trip postage but does include cleaning!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I've had good luck with Zales lifetime battery deal. I think I paid $20, and if my watch bettery dies, I just walk into any Zales and they replace it.

I've never bought anything else at Zales, and likely never will but the battery deal works for me.

Support your local brewer.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by heavywalker
...what do you do???

Drive home and post about it on the internet, obviously.

E-Bay is the answer to everything! If someone can try to sell a piece of toast that "looks" like Jesus for $10,000 or so, you should be able to get $50 for a $5.95 battery. As P.T. Barnum said, "There's a sucker born every minute.... "

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by T LEE
The ones in my Seiko & Pulsar watches run for about 7 years & 5 years respectively. I can change the one in my Pulsar but have to send the Seiko in as it is the perpetual Calendar model and requires setting by them! When it's battery dies this time I think I will pitch it. $78.00 plus round trip postage but does include cleaning!

TLEE - think about getting an Omega overhauled every 5-8 years or so. It'll cost about $1,200-$1,500 (depending on model), but that does include shipping to Switzerland. A good old plain Casio or Timex will tell time just as well, but it's been an expensive lesson!

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by dogzapper

I cannot tell you how many hundreds of thousands of batteries I sold at my jewelry store.

Somebody indicated here, whether rightly or wrongly, that it is a 357 battery. Something to keep in mind is the fact that 357s are used in a ton of other devices.

For handloading, I own four electronic digital vernier calipers and they ALL use a 357 battery. Also, literally all of the laser pointers use 357s.

My point is, if WalMart offers two batteries at a killer price, it's quite possible that you might be able to use the second battery.

When I was in the biz, I literally bought batteries by the 100s. I checked the price list from my jewelry supplier and 357s sell for $32.00 per 100 ... basically $0.32 (32 cents) each. AND you know that both the factory and the wholesale house are each making a decent profit.

How in the heck do they manufacture these wonderful mini-power sources so cheaply?

Amazing, absolutely amazing.

Blessings,

Steve

"How in the heck do they manufacture these wonderful mini-power sources so cheaply?"

How about using little old Chinese ladies? they work for virtually nothing!

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I hand the watch to my jeweler, go shop, and he has replaced the battery and set the time by the time I return for less than $5.

Of course, jewelry stores can be expensive places to visit.

If you need more than one, Amazon is Amazin'
Amazon 357 battery options

"It's what they know that's just not so", often attributed to Mark Twain but that's just not so either
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well I got the Seiko for a song, guess the previous owner knew the battery was about to die!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 22250rem, 219DW, 204guy, 59 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,871
Posts18,518,012
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.