Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
The stock you described is fairly typical, I think Mcmillan describes the gel coat as a "utility grade" finish.

If you are unhappy, Rick and Mcmillan will make it right. Both are great to do business with.

NO DOUBT....I think McMillan puts out a great product and stands behind it. I have spoken with Rick and explained to him my concerns, which he addressed. Some water, steel wool, and elbow grease has eased my dislike of the 3 day old glazed doughnut look from the factory. It has removed alot of the sanding marks, some which I thought were into the fiberglass itself. I think it'll take a few more passed to get it where I want it. I knew the color mixes where a "crap shoot" from the get go....just was hoping for something more consistent.

Last edited by joshf303; 03/07/12.
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Josh,

Does that shine it or polish it to some degree? I've never heard of that before.

I might get drunk and do that some time. Make my 7-08 even more gorgeous. If that's even possible...

Travis

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Yeah Travis....it has taken alot of the hazy, dull look off the finish and shined it up some. Rick said to take it easy and go a little at a time. Im really not after a glossy, shiny finish..but its improving on each pass. Most importantly..its removing the majorty of the sanding marks which were real pronounced on the black.

You know where "MIGHTS" grow......Good excuse for some indulgement??? grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A little wet-sanding with 0000 steel wool will usually remove sanding marks and shine up the stock quite satisfactorily if the matte look is not your thing. You can get them pretty shiny if you keep at it too. Only caveat is to not remove too much material so you don't start to see the fiberglass cloth underneath, which is why I opt for 0000 steel wool.

Better slow and easy than fast and overly aggressive.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks again Rick...its looking a TON better

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm actually quite partial to the imperfections. The custom colors denote individuality and that you like things "just so", yet the utility grade finish says you're too cool to care. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
can you post a picture?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ya'll pay 500 bones for a McM and accept sanding marks and inconsistent color as "quality" only to save a few ounces of weight.

Check out the B&C Medalist, standard equipment on the Winnie Extreme Weather, nice thick grip, consistent finish and stiff enough to use for a boat paddle or club if necessary wink

I gotta admit, the Medalist is a great stock but I can't use it to flag down a search and rescue plane, that *win* goes to the McSwirly.

Last edited by RDW; 03/07/12.

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RDW
nice thick grip

sick sick sick

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by RDW
nice thick grip

sick sick sick

+1000

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by RDW
Ya'll pay 500 bones for a McM and accept sanding marks and inconsistent color as "quality" only to save a few ounces of weight.

Check out the B&C Medalist, standard equipment on the Winnie Extreme Weather, nice thick grip, consistent finish and stiff enough to use for a boat paddle or club if necessary wink

I gotta admit, the Medalist is a great stock but I can't use it to flag down a search and rescue plane, that *win* goes to the McSwirly.

The thick grip sucks. Custom LOP costs extra. Very few action options. Most are pretty heavy. Paint scratches fairly easily.

The B&C stocks aren't bad, but they really aren't comparable to a Mcmillan.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by joshf303
Yeah Travis....it has taken alot of the hazy, dull look off the finish and shined it up some. Rick said to take it easy and go a little at a time. Im really not after a glossy, shiny finish..but its improving on each pass. Most importantly..its removing the majorty of the sanding marks which were real pronounced on the black.

You know where "MIGHTS" grow......Good excuse for some indulgement??? grin

I'm gonna polish it this weekend!

(Talking about the stock)

Thanks Josh and Rick.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got one that the previous owner wet sanded. It removed practicall all scratch marks and made a very noticeable difference when compared to my "factory fresh" stocks.

Now with even more aplomb
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I'll stick to how the grip of the MR or KS pattern fit compared to the stock on my EX Weather. No comparision IMO.

Shoulda take a few before and after pictures. Don't know if you would have been able to tell the differences after the wet sanding (even w/ some adult beverages, Travis grin).

I dig this side

[Linked Image]

This side, not SO much. Goes to moslty all black from middle of the action inlet forward.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Sounds normal for a gelcoat finish. They are a utility-grade finish.

You can wet sand a buff it to a miiror if you want.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I really like it Josh....almost reminds me of fancy walnut....I think you did good....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Josh,

I like that one a whole bunch!

Now quit your whining. laugh laugh

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Everything josh revealed is completely normal for a McSwirly. If you want it shiny, get some sandpaper and steel wool and get after it. I would highly recommend leaving it as is.

Nice pics. I could like that one.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
That stock is bitchin'!

All it needs is blood.

Travis

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by SKane
Josh,

I like that one a whole bunch!

Now quit your whining. laugh laugh

.....hhhiiiccuuuppp....YES..hicup....SIR.....SUM......hiiicccuppp..BEESSHHH TRAVIS and....hiiicccuup.. HIS....hicup...DAMN IDEAS...hiiccuupp....PEER PRESSURE..hiiicccuupp....

I WAS JUST WORRIED THAT I COULDN'T COME BACK FROM "ALL THAT BLACK!" shhhhh...don't tell nobody

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

64 members (35, 308ld, 808outdoors, AdventureBound, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 3 invisible), 1,139 guests, and 773 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,686
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.