Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
The blued action has a fluted SS Pac-Nor....I plan to Duracoat or Ceracoat it a matte black.

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The stock looks like chit!.....Tell ya what,I'll give you $50.00 bucks for it, even send you a pre-paid UPS label.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'll go $62.50 shipped TMD blush

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RDW
Originally Posted by toad
RDW, have you owned or even held a McMillan stock?

Yes, I have held one or two that a buddy owns

Hmmmmmm....So I guess that one time I bought a box of tampons for my wife makes me an expert on tampons.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you claim to be an expert on tampons, by all means enjoy the fame wink

Dave

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by joshf303
The blued action has a fluted SS Pac-Nor....I plan to Duracoat or Ceracoat it a matte black.

No. grin

Just coat the action.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by AFTERUM
I really like it Josh....almost reminds me of fancy walnut....I think you did good....
I like it... A very different look - and very attractive...

Kudos..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RDW
If you claim to be an expert on tampons, by all means enjoy the fame wink

Let me know who else custom inlets a very stiff and relatively light stock in any color you want, for almost any action you want, for any custom barrel contour you want, and for any bottom metal you want.........for LESS than $5 hundo (and that's with aluminum pillars installed). Maybe Manners, but I believe they're new to the molded-in colors game). It's a bargain, and to have a cheaper stock fitted to all of the above and pillars installed by a gunsmith would be equivalent in price and you'd still have an inferior product. Not sure why you're bashing a product that has ruled the market for many years and there's a reason why they have. My guess is that you hate Michael Jordan as well just because he was one of the best and didn't play for cheap.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dude, there is no bashing at all, you took the conversation dow a step with the tampon reference. However I am not convinced *yet* the light weight, slim grip and precise inletting is worth the cost to slap a McM on an off-the-shelf rifle.

Custom is totally different and I would pay plenty for a Walnut stock to fit a custom barrel and action.

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gents, we can all agree to disagree. Let's not have this one turn into a hunters campfire or optics forum. whistle

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I did get drunk but I did not steel wool my stock. I'll try again tonight.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You need to try one, Dave.......before you say they aren't worth what they cost. We've seen here with sales on the classifieds that you can get most of your money back out of it if you don't like it. And not seeing many for sale on the second-hand market means something to me as well. That's all I'm saying. Not trying to get personal nor nasty with you.

Sorry the mention of p-plugs upset you or anybody else. I'll use another example next time.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by deflave
I did get drunk but I did not steel wool my stock. I'll try again tonight.

Travis

Ah, the downfall of many intentions, the drink. Been there myself.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
However I am not convinced *yet* the light weight, slim grip and precise inletting is worth the cost to slap a McM on an off-the-shelf rifle.

I have an "off the shelf" short action 700 in an HS sporter stock, and another in a McMillan Classic. Compared to the McM, the HS is a club.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I cannot go back to an H-S or B&C after handling McMillans that copy the Remington and Sako factory patterns. The grips are waaaay too fat....

Now with even more aplomb
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have mostly HS stocks, only a couple BCs, quite a few wood, and only one McMillan. I like my HSs and BCs better than the McMillan, but only having one McMillan is hardly enough to form a valid opinion. The HSs fit me perfectly and I love the BC TI stock fit as well. It's hard to get away from a product when you know they work, but I'll probably try a few more McMillan patterns before all said and done.

There seems to be a cult here when it comes to McMillan stocks, but to be honest I can't really see where they are better than HS and BC. The flex is the same on mine as the others mentioned and when any of them are properly bedded, they flat shoot. Not bashing any stocks, but many that get bashed here are not as bad as they are claimed to be IME.

Have a good one,

loder

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I like it.
It doesn't look like a fifty-fifty to me, though... more like an eighty-twenty?
BBerg

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's mainly an ergonomics thing for me. Their stocks are too chunky for my tastes, plus you are pretty much stuck with one fill option, which may or may not balance your rifle. I would not say HS or B&C are junk, as they can be solid platforms, but if you blindfolded me and asked me to handle some rifles, odds are good that those stocks would not rank highly on my "feel-o-meter". For a bit more money over a new H-S, I can pick a McMillan pattern that fits me best, specify my own LOP and recoil pad type, choose from a lot of colors and finishes, place the swivel studs at my whim, have the barrel channel inletted perfectly for my custom barrel, and choose a fill weight that will best balance my rifle and/or meet my weight goals. In all fairness, that's pretty tough to top.

Now with even more aplomb
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I own McMillan, HS and a BC Medalist. Have also owned a Ti stock too. I liked them all. I would probably stick with the Medalists if they offered them for Rugers. The HS stock is thicker, but it doesn't bother me since I have large hands.

My main draw to Mcmillan is that they offer them for so many non-Remingtons.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I agree JP and DC, they are kinda like hitting an ice cream shop.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

656 members (16gage, 01Foreman400, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 16Racing, 69 invisible), 2,762 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,303
Posts18,526,016
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.