Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
[Linked Image]

Went on a 4 day pig hunt in SC last week. Before we left I was getting hammered with "The 250 is TOO small". When the guide saw us at his range he asked what caliber I was shooting. He said he wasn't familiar with the 250 but he liked the 243, so I knew I was good. He said the best shot was behind the ear. If I have to shoot behind the ear on a pig at 100+ yards, I want my 250.

It was unseasonably hot and the pigs were holding tight and not coming out till minutes before dark. I like to keep scopes of the same vintage on my guns, so I have a mint Redfield 2X7 on it. The first 3 days every one else saw and had shots at pigs between 6:30 and 6:45. I hadn't seen a pig yet, but at 6:30 I could barely see through my scope, and I couldn't see the cross hairs. We were hunting on Arcadia Plantation, a 7000 acre rice plantaion. The guide put me on a new stand that was closer to the owners house than he usually does. He said the pigs were getting through the fence and the owners asked to try and thin them out some. He also said "Don't shoot the first pig you see, the little ones come out first." So this guy comes out at 5:30 in bright, broad daylight. I'm thinking if this is a little one, what the heck does a big one look like? I started to squeeze on him 3 or 4 times and he'd jump, or twitch, or run back in the woods. Finally after about 20 minutes he gave me a shot and I dropped him. At 6:37 I could barely see movement in the field and put my scope up. There were 3 or 4 more big pigs and a mess of little ones. If I had better optics I could have had a second pig. But, I'm really happy with this one. He was 220 lbs, had one ear ripped in half, and a broken tusk. Gettin him mounted. Since they use a plastic mold for the head and fake teeth, I'm keeping the skull too and doing a European mount with it. I get 2 trophies on one hunt, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice! Would love to go pig hunting some day..

Though the optics thing is why I buy new Leupolds for mine. grin

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Nice pig! Should still be decent eating at that weight.

I shot some javelina while hunting in Texas. Saw pigs on several occasions but never shot one. Then when I got interested in taking one I never saw one again!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
D
Cool story and neat pics. Great rifle. Congrats. That looks like a blast.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
[Linked Image]

Went on a 4 day pig hunt in SC last week. Before we left I was getting hammered with "The 250 is TOO small". When the guide saw us at his range he asked what caliber I was shooting. He said he wasn't familiar with the 250 but he liked the 243, so I knew I was good. He said the best shot was behind the ear. If I have to shoot behind the ear on a pig at 100+ yards, I want my 250.

It was unseasonably hot and the pigs were holding tight and not coming out till minutes before dark. I like to keep scopes of the same vintage on my guns, so I have a mint Redfield 2X7 on it. The first 3 days every one else saw and had shots at pigs between 6:30 and 6:45. I hadn't seen a pig yet, but at 6:30 I could barely see through my scope, and I couldn't see the cross hairs. We were hunting on Arcadia Plantation, a 7000 acre rice plantaion. The guide put me on a new stand that was closer to the owners house than he usually does. He said the pigs were getting through the fence and the owners asked to try and thin them out some. He also said "Don't shoot the first pig you see, the little ones come out first." So this guy comes out at 5:30 in bright, broad daylight. I'm thinking if this is a little one, what the heck does a big one look like? I started to squeeze on him 3 or 4 times and he'd jump, or twitch, or run back in the woods. Finally after about 20 minutes he gave me a shot and I dropped him. At 6:37 I could barely see movement in the field and put my scope up. There were 3 or 4 more big pigs and a mess of little ones. If I had better optics I could have had a second pig. But, I'm really happy with this one. He was 220 lbs, had one ear ripped in half, and a broken tusk. Gettin him mounted. Since they use a plastic mold for the head and fake teeth, I'm keeping the skull too and doing a European mount with it. I get 2 trophies on one hunt, Joe.

GREAT story. I have to admit, BEFORE I read your story, I would have been hesitant to choose a .250/3000 for a pig as well. Mind telling us which bullet you used. As far as not being able to see through the 2X7 Redfield. That's strange to me. I have both old and semi-new Leupolds and all of my Redfields a 25+ years old. I can't tell the difference at dawn and dusk UNLESS I have them on maximum magnification. Once again, GREAT story. Congratulations.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
It was a ton of fun and I will highly recommend Waccamaw Hunting Services in Hemingway, SC, Joe.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
very cool! Bullet choice?

Andrew
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
No bullet, not even a shot fired I'll bet! All you need to do is wave a .250-3000 at a critter and it dies of fright! "Struth! grin

Nice going Joe! I'll stop in for bite of sausage my next trip out I-70!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice pig, they all must die. I wouldn't doubt a 250, LBK, I used a 22HP this weekend and dropped a couple. Behind the ear is key. One day I'll pull out a 250, but it's gotta be perfect weather cuz mine are all too nice. Calhoun, I'll swap ya a swine hunt for a deer hunt out there any day

Last edited by billy336; 03/07/12.

Long Live The Judge

Thinking of moving to Florida? Don't........
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
No rampant pigs in NE? We have them here in NH...allegedly! Escapees from a game preserve. I never came across one, but I don't hunt near the area in question...maybe one of the other cats from NH can comment. I have a buddy from Grantham that claims his buddies hunt them up that way. I would love to try a pig hunt.
Funny, they are pests in a lot of the south, but folks are making a good business of hunting them.

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Joe:

Now tell us what really happened.

Looks like you shot him out the window of your UPS truck to me. wink grin

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Excellent job Joe! Way to work that .250-3000!

God is pursuing you America ---turn around!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nice Hunt. Congrats!

Bruce
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I used factory Remington 100 gr corelokt. At the range I tried some 117's my buddy loaded, told him they are not supposed to shoot well in my 1950 R. The first round was in the 10 ring a half inch to the right of my other 2 shots with the 100's. I'm thinkin, wow, this thing will shoot the 117's. The next 2 rounds were 6 inches apart and keyholed, so didn't try anymore 117's.

For those interested, I've never seen so many turkey in my life. Saw flocks in almost every field, lots of deer too. I wanted a Bobcat, bad, and did see one as we were leaving the plantation the last night.

Now I've got to start working on a better scope for the next trip, Joe.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
LBK, The scope is actually crystal clear, it just doesn't gather as much light as a scope with a bigger objective. When the second wave of pigs came out at 6:37 I could barely see them in the scope, and I couldn't see the crosshairs. A lighted recticle would pay for itself in those conditions. With the style hunting they do, bait and wait, you sit from 2:30 in the afternoon just to hunt the last 10 to 20 min of light. If I could have seen just 10 more min I would of had a chance at a second pig. All 3 of my buddies were using Leupolds with bigger objectives and they could see a good 15 to 20 min longer than me. So, what I think I'll do, is leave this set up as is and get another 250 R and build a pig gun out of it, Joe.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Joe:

You need that R in .300 S.

God is pursuing you America ---turn around!
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Nice pig! My wife took a 190 lb sow recently with an AR15 using 55 gr. TTSX, shoulder shot took out the entire heart/lung. Pig never took a step. The 250 is plenty for behind the ear or behind the shoulder, especially at the short range most pigs are shot at. I also watched a 400+ pounder taken with a behind the shoulder shot from a 243 Win. That old boar ran 70 yards with a hole thru its heart. It was also delicious, by the way.
I have a Burris 3-9x40 LRS (Lighted Reticle System) on my hog gun; I hunt over illuminated bait at night and need the super-low setting of the Burris. Other lighted reticles I've tried are too bright even on low, they sort of eat up the available light. It has the best light level adjustment I have found outside of a $500 or higher military style reflex sight, and has a range - marked reticle too. Dial in your bullet's trajectories and eliminate the guesstimation if you know the distance to target. I saw them recently at Optics planet on sale for around $240 IIRC. I really like mine.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
nice story and hog congrats

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Great story and pic, thanks for sharing.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Pigs are starting to show up in the southern tier of counties in New York state now, too. Much consternation. I say "Welcome to the club!"

We've hunted them in CA now for many years; I killed a 238# boar (weighed field dressed) my junior year in college, 1963. One shot with a .30-40 Krag Win Hi-wall at about 120 yards "near" Jolon, CA. (I say "near" because in 1963 NOTHING was "near" Jolon!).

They are now the most-hunted big game animal in CA, surpassing deer kill of all species.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10gaugeman, 1936M71, 1minute, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 67 invisible), 2,409 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,686
Posts18,494,019
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.