Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm out of dye for a glassing project. Anyone ever tried a couple drops of black ink from a ball point pen with epoxy???

I'll probably mix less than a cc and I'm trying to avoid a 130 mile drive to the next town for less than an ounce of pigment. All I can find locally is the powdered Rit stuff for fabric.

1Minute
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I did it 35 or so years ago with ink that was probably 35 yrs older than that. It worked and is still working great on some Bodark pistol grips I made.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just finished cleaning up. Got about a drop out of the tube and it mixed right in. Seems to be hardening just fine.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Use lamp black instead... It makes epoxy stronger and colors with just a bit...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Use lamp black instead...

+1
arts and craft stores have it in tubes not expensive

Thanks
Ray

...look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
easy to make your own as needed...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Powdered graphite recommended by the adhesive manufacturer for that application is a great option. Brownell's also has a product called epoxy-black that works well (may well be graphite ... don't know.) You can generally get away with the use of an inert filler for this application.

I would caution against the addition of any substance not specifically recommended for that purpose. I base this on decades of working in the adhesive business. It was extremely common to hear about a job failure where someone had added their own magic ingredient which then caused an adhesive failure. I have seen people lose their asses (and sometimes their businesses) due to this practice. The chances of the average person having a better understanding of an adhesive product than the chemist who developed that product is extremely remote. Follow the manufacturers directions or suffer in silence.

Last edited by OregonCoot; 03/09/12.
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
black leather dye works quite well, not shoe polish, dye

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by OregonCoot
Powdered graphite recommended by the adhesive manufacturer for that application is a great option. Brownell's also has a product called epoxy-black that works well (may well be graphite ... don't know.) You can generally get away with the use of an inert filler for this application.

I would caution against the addition of any substance not specifically recommended for that purpose. I base this on decades of working in the adhesive business. It was extremely common to hear about a job failure where someone had added their own magic ingredient which then caused an adhesive failure. I have seen people lose their asses (and sometimes their businesses) due to this practice. The chances of the average person having a better understanding of an adhesive product than the chemist who developed that product is extremely remote. Follow the manufacturers directions or suffer in silence.

All true enough, except lamp black is THE black dye to add to epoxy and it strengthens it... Just like the quality of a tire is determined by the quality of the lamp black used in its manufacture... It is a serious binder.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OregonCoot
Powdered graphite recommended by the adhesive manufacturer for that application is a great option...

The Gougeon brothers (W.E.S.T. epoxy) recommend graphite powder, which I have used.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Graphite and lamp black are both just carbon... Being a crystalized form graphite does not add strength... Being something you can make with a candle and a knife blade in a few minutes, lamp black is more convenient and stronger...

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Sitka Deer

Agreed on straight up lamp black (no additives). Commercially available lamp black in paste form will typically have an oil based carrier which can compromise your adhesive.

Last edited by OregonCoot; 03/10/12.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Love the stuff that you can learn on this board!!

Thank guys

Johnny $

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 300_savage, 7mm_Loco, 35, 10gaugemag, 9 invisible), 1,731 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,467
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.