Print Thread
Hop To
W
Whisky Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Assuming I draw the tag, I will be making my first trip to Wyo for antelope. It will be a bow hunt. I understand rut is usually getting cranked up mid Sept or so. I believe the season for archery will be opening Aug 15th for the unit I'm looking at (tentative).

So, in your guys' experiences, when would be your preference to go? We are looking at staying in a tent out there, up to a week if need be... Go early, mid bow season, or hunt the rut??? Be nice to find that happy medium between the heat, educated antelope and other hunter numbers.

Thanks
Fisky

Last edited by Fisky; 03/09/12.
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
It depends what type of hunting you want to do. If you don't mind sitting in a hot blind over water, that's typical of August early Sept. If you like to spot and stalk with a decoy and a challenge call I would look at sept 15-25th, plus the weather is alot more tolerable.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
W
Whisky Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Me and heat don't mix too well...Problem is, I usually go mulie hunting mid September-ish.

I know I'd much prefer a mid September hunt for antelope. I guess I'm curious what you guys have to say about the hunting early on when season opens.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Later in Sept the better. I would rather not hunt out of hot blind over water.

as suggested spot and stalk with decoy. Better if you can find someone else to help with the decoy.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Fisky

I know I'd much prefer a mid September hunt for antelope. I guess I'm curious what you guys have to say about the hunting early on when season opens.

It is hot as archery season for antelope opens Aug 15.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
It depends what type of hunting you want to do. If you don't mind sitting in a hot blind over water, that's typical of August early Sept. If you like to spot and stalk with a decoy and a challenge call I would look at sept 15-25th, plus the weather is alot more tolerable.

yup, that is about perfect.

19 yards spot and stalk
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been hunting goats in Wyoming for many years.

IF I were going for goats only I would go mid-October.

I am there every year the last two weeks in September to hunt chickens and don't see the rut happening at that time. I will see small groups of goats; but wait until mid-October and I will see herds of hunderds.

Last year the weather was very hot in September; but in other years there has been snow.

The country holds more goats than you think. Lots of times unseen to the novice. Get out and walk a couple of miles and the goats will come to you.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
W
Whisky Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Nice goat Sendero, with old school gear to boot!!! Someday I'd like to get into that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very very well done Sendero!

Kool stuff

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Sendero_man
Originally Posted by ruffcutt

yup, that is about perfect.

19 yards spot and stalk
[Linked Image]

That is a good antelope. And done with a longbow to boot . very admirable.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

223 members (1OntarioJim, 22kHornet, 06hunter59, 320090T, 257 roberts, 3dtestify, 21 invisible), 1,190 guests, and 962 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,093
Posts18,522,161
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.