Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Boise Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I completed a pair of iron wood knives and the wood keeps giving off a wax like substance. The wood polishes up beautifully but after setting a couple of hours the sheen goes away. I have a numbe of iron sculptures in the house and they stay nice and shiney. What's up? What is the correct way to finish this wood?

The wood is old and has been aged.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Rick
Geez, I'm getting a little old and aged and I have the same issue. Hope you find the solution.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I just normally sand to 1000 grit then buff with pink no scratch. A little wax when you get it finished helps also.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I sand down to 1500 grit and let it go. If I want a finish beyond that...I hit it with Ren Wax. Works for me...see below:

[Linked Image]

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
HLH Offline
I usually take it down to around 800-1000 grit and buff with White Diamond and use Ren Wax. Never noticed this problem before. It will darken quite a bit with use.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FWIW, I had a conversation with Charles May about this and in a nutshell he told me that Ironwood has a naturally waxy substance in the wood itself that seeps out. Might be what you are seeing.

Boise Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RDFinn
FWIW, I had a conversation with Charles May about this and in a nutshell he told me that Ironwood has a naturally waxy substance in the wood itself that seeps out. Might be what you are seeing.

Yep, that is exactly how it appears to me, even feels waxy to the touch. I have done other iron wood scales with no problem but this set is giving me fits. I've tried waxing them but it doesn't hold. Had a heck of a time getting the scales to bond on tight also and had to go with a mechanical lock. One of the model makers at work gave me the wood.

I've already delivered the one blade and have been sitting on this one for nearly three months. The owner is happy as a tick on a lazy dog with the first but I'm agonizing over delivering this one. He pointed out how much the wood darkened, had been carrying it a bunch and it left an obvious line at the sheath. He's a good friend and this is the first set of knives I've ever sold. Sure wish I had started with a different wood.

I hand sand to 600 grit, in my world that is mighty smooth. I'll finish the edge with 9 micron paper but that is only because I'm showing off the Edge Pro. Something about the mirror finished edge just pops for me.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Boise Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill

Rick
Geez, I'm getting a little old and aged and I have the same issue. Hope you find the solution.
Tim

blush

Boise Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Godogs57
I sand down to 1500 grit and let it go. If I want a finish beyond that...I hit it with Ren Wax. Works for me...see below:

[Linked Image]

That is a FINE looking knife.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I do pretty much the same as the other folks sand down to about 1000 to 1500 and then buff with pink no scratch. Have encountered extremely waxy wood with a piece of blackwood one time. I sealed it with super glue and then lightly sanded back to about 1000 and buffed. Sounds like you just have a really oily piece of wood. Might try a super glue finish.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Thanks Boise....much appreciated

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Rick
Actually, I do have a suggestion. Similar to some info posted above.
With those waxy woods, I would go to about 1200-1500 wet sanding, polish with Mothers, rinse with water, dry good, buff with a piece of wool cloth. Just re hit with wool to regain luster.
You gotta get away from those hidden pins.
jmho
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Boise Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Tim,
Yep I like the clean look of blind pins but this pair were completed with exposed pins. My nicest knives have hidden pins but of course I've given those all away.

I'll try a heavier wax. I've never been able to apply a super glue finish I was proud of, funtional yes, but not perfectly smooth.

Rick

The middle and last knife make up the set. I'm betting you're able to recognize the other three, they are by a famous maker.

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Rick
Mot sure you need any wax with the wood you described. Sounds like it is self waxing.
What a nice bunch of knives.
jmho
Tim

Albert Einstein

K
KBA Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I think there's something else going on.
Maybe give it a good wipe down with acetone or lacquer thinner, etc. and see if you can "kill" whatever is at the surface.

Karl B. Andersen
www.andersenforge.com
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Beautiful set Rick, and nice work on the ones you did.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

431 members (219 Wasp, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 22kHornet, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 16penny, 51 invisible), 2,464 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,843
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.