Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've seriously hunted them 5 times now, and still not drawn blood. At least the last 3 times I had cow tags and could have killed a legal bull each hunt if I had the bull tag but I see no need in killing a young bull when I could eat a cow just as well and let the bull grow up...

Maybe one of these days I'll get back to trying again.

Moose currently have my attention, as does Alaska as a whole.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by ingwe
Oh, good...then I can keep posting... grin

I hope so. I never hunted with a .270, but with you and JOC, who knows... laugh

DF

CRS Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I try very hard to not post on stuff I have no experience with. Therefore, I don't post too much... but if someone is asking for an opinion the gloves are off.

I started this post to bring some levity to the elk hunting forum. It had been getting pretty intense.

I have hunted elk quite a bit, not as much as some, and more than others. Shot some, and helped people shoot a few more.

I have come to the conclusion that the tough part is finding the elk, killing them is the easy part, and getting them out is work!

Arcus Venator
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I love moose hunting but I hate it when those big SOB's are down. I'll not hunt moose again unless it's guided or standing in the middle of a logging road.

A friend, who has killed many elk, now has a requirement that the elk must be standing in a spot where he can drive his truck or he won't take the shot. grin

Last edited by prm; 03/01/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rost495
I've seriously hunted them 5 times now, and still not drawn blood. At least the last 3 times I had cow tags and could have killed a legal bull each hunt if I had the bull tag but I see no need in killing a young bull when I could eat a cow just as well and let the bull grow up...

Yes, if you've never been, you really need to hunt Alaska - for anything and everything that's available. It's a fascinating place.

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Never have

Tater
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Maverick940
Originally Posted by rost495

Yes, if you've never been, you really need to hunt Alaska - for anything and everything that's available. It's a fascinating place.
Went in 86 to look.... went in 95 for our honeymoon. Have been 4 or 5 times since, and now have an AA CC and if the opportunity is there every fall, it may well happen every fall, or every other. Or should say every year as it won't always be fall... Still puttin in for a moose draw tag every year too for a certain area....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I was within 30 yds of a 350's 6x6 bull 2 years ago. I had a spike tag....

No kills for me, but I have only had 2 tags.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's been 10 years since I shot my one and only elk, so it feels like I've never got one. smirk
I plan to change that this fall. My son and I are planning a trip to CO. grin

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have not hunted them yet. The plan is to get the first one this year.....I hope.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have carried larger bores, but the shot was always with a smaller caliber .300 to be exact.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've come closer with the truck than any of the other methods, but still O-fer.

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
me

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
.50 cal 405gr Powerbelt
[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've never killed an elk. On my one and only mule deer hunt in Wyoming getting an elk would have been easy. Deer were much more scarce due to a bad winter kill the previous year according to ranchers that we talked to. At this point in my life I have no desire to kill an elk. Those who hunt them seem to love it but it looks like way too much meat to have to deal with and if I got lucky and shot a nice bull, what would I do with the head mount in my home! I feel the same about moose. I do most of my hunting alone and deer are just right for that. Maybe if I had a couple of guys to help deal with the animal getting it out of the field I would consider it because elk country is very beautiful.

I've never killed an elk. But, I have family in WA state that have and shared the meat with me. I love it!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

647 members (16gage, 007FJ, 16Racing, 12344mag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 77 invisible), 3,039 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,353
Posts18,487,900
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.