-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They're bet suited for very occasional use around a yard. If your buying a saw to cut any ammount of wood, or even just for personal firewood useage, move up to a better saw. I had a cheap MacCoulough for 15 years and for what I used it for, it was okay. Last year, it finally wouldn't start any more so I bought a reconditioned Poulan at Sears to fill the same role. So far, it's run just fine. I hold no disillusions that it's a great , or even a very good saw. All I ask of it is to start when I want to clean up storm damage or maybe brushing out a trail for deer season.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
For a great all around saw for small work the Stihl ms 180 works awesome, Super light and inexpensive. I call it my Turkey carver.

For larger work a Stihl 390 fits the bill well. Larry

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have had 3. One I owned new until the clutch went out after about three years. Then someone gave me one about 6 months old, same problem, clutch destroyed while he owned it. The current one I have is fine but I've only owned it a year and I don't cut much with it.

I would rather have a Stihl or Husky. However, at my current property, I just needed something to cut up the occasional tree limb or dead tree (we have a few trees and the neighbors have a large maple that occasionally drops a limb into our yard.) I couldn't justify spending more than the $80-100 I spent for this one at Sears when it was on sale and I had a 10% off coupon.

I noticed with all of them that the pulling start issue seemed to be related to the factory carb settings. Fixing the fuel mixture really helped them all out.

Dad has a Stihl that is, conservatively, 30 years old and still running great.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
poulan might work good as a non functional movie prop or as a non functional hands on safety training prop (like the rubber coated M16's we had in bootcamp)

Originally Posted by PAMac
Originally Posted by justin10mm
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
Cry once buy quality and it will last your life damn near. stihl stihl stihl , jonsered jonsered jonsered, husqvarna husqvarna husqvarna.

I'd add Echo to that list.

Fixed it for you! wink

^^^^this^^^^

Something clever here.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I use Stihl, but I good Electric Poulan thats good for 100 feet.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PAMac
Originally Posted by MColeman
I don't know about them being junk. I bought one a few years back and it cranked and ran very well. I eventually let it set up and the priming bulb deteriorated but with that replaced I'll bet it will still run well. I paid about $125 new for it.
Did you get the wild thing??? It's the purple and green one.

I'm a strict husquavarna owner from a 394 xpg to my 335 xpt's with 12 saws in the middle. Poulan is alright I guess for the common houshold, but the joke around here is...... When you go to start one, you gunna be poulan and poulan until you wear yourself out.... wink

$40 more you can buy an orange one.

I don't pretend that I'm in the logging bidness. I just needed a saw for some immediate job and picked this one. It did the job very well. I've not tried to run it in several years. I inherited a Husky when my brother died and it's a great saw but I hardly ever use it.
I needed some big pines cut down that were dying and close to the shop. I paid a tree service to cut them down because he had insurance in case one fell on the shop.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I just need something to cut some wood for the smoker,and for the firepit. I dont have a fireplace. In a previous life,I was actually a logger.
I i needed a real tool for work,id get a stihl,or a husky,jonserud.this is mostly a toy.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Wife bought me a Sears (Poulan) about 8 years ago, and it lasted about three months and then wouldn't start. I wound up buying a brand new carb for it, and for light limb work and small trees, it's been fine ever since. For heavy use, stay away.

For real saws, I've been using Pioneers since my grandfather put one in my hands in 1972. The damn things just won't break. I have them from 1200A's (58cc) to P61 (98cc)

I'll agree with the Stihl, Husky, Dolmar, Echo comments.
I bought a new old stock Husky 372XPW when we bought this farm last summer, and it's an animal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a Poulan and it works. It is ok for light work but don't even think about real heavy jobs like sectioning 24 inch trunk trees for firewood.

They sure ain't what they used to be. First chain saw I ever ran was an all cast iron Poulan. Lord was it heavy.

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have 2 Poulans. 1 small Woodshark and a larger one I forget the model #. Both work fine and the Woodshark is 15 years old. I believe the newer Poulan chainsaws are actually made by Husqvarna now but I am not 100% sure. FWIW I use mine every year to cut firewood to help heat my home.

Most problems with any tool powered by a small engine is how they are maintained.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B3

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Heck for a middle of the road saw that won't cost a lot I'd prefer a Craftsman over Poulan any day.
Craftsman saws and Poulan saws are one and the same. Craftsman is made by Poulan.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't use anything but Stihls. Switched and got me a 455 ranch husqvarna two years ago and really like it.

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Poulans are made in Nashville, Arkansas. They make Craftsman, Poulans, some Huskys, and another brand or two I can't remember in the same plant.

They are allegedly made to different standards depending upon the price point and specs of the different brands.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got a 46cc Poulan that I use for dropping and bucking small oaks and maples. It works adequately. It actually starts just fine. I get more problems when it's run for an extended period. I run it in long bucking sessions and sometimes I don't sharpen/swap chains often enough.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by jnyork
Repeat after me: S-T-I-H-L. smile

Stihl and huskies are good saws but until you spend the big bucks to go with their professional lines you are getting things like plastic crankcases and the cylinder sleeves are held in place with plastic tabs. My Dolmar is the same size as the Stihl Farmboss but is professional grade all the way through with a real steel crankcase. It is also lighter, higher RPM and torque. So to go with the better made Pro quality saw I paid $40 more that the Farmboss.

Give them a look and you will not be sorry. I just cannot see spending $400 on Husky or Stihl and getting way less valye.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If your looking for a less expensive saw, I'd go Echo before anything else.

The lower end Stihl are crap for what you pay. They make great pro saws, same with Husky IMO.

If you want or have need for more saw than Echo makes, the Dolmar/Makita 64cc saws are great.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Got dad's Stihl 028 WoodBoss that he purchased back in the 70's. Used it this past Saturday to make quick work of a oak that had fallen in mom's back yard. Still cuts like a champ.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Agree- Dolmar's if you have service near you, Husky XP (562XP is a great saw), or Stihl Professional (a 362 might fit the bill perfectly)
Go to a place they have ALL the pro models on display so you can handle them and get a good feel of the weight.
Buy a pro series and you've bought your last one. Buy one at the box stores and you'll buy another one.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by levrluvr
Agree- Dolmar's if you have service near you, Husky XP (562XP is a great saw), or Stihl Professional (a 362 might fit the bill perfectly)
Go to a place they have ALL the pro models on display so you can handle them and get a good feel of the weight.
Buy a pro series and you've bought your last one. Buy one at the box stores and you'll buy another one.

Excellent advice! Go to a saw shop and talk to the guys (or in one case I know the lady) who work on the saws. They will tell it straight.

The old Stehls and Huskies were great saws and will last for as long as you will be around to use one but todays saws are not the same story.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I cheated and bought my Dolmar from the HomeDepot rental counter.

I knew the guy, he picked out a nice used one for about $200 Got a new bar and chain as well. grin

If you ever wear it out, you can go nuts with the 84cc jug and piston kit. I think it's about a hundred bucks. Mucho power.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 49 invisible), 2,450 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,834
Posts18,478,050
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.