Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've taken the trouble to cut up a B&C on a bandsaw. Wouldn't want another after seeing how they are made. Especially the Carbelite or TI stocks. The Medalist stocks are OK if you don't mind a heavy stock. The B&C stocks with no metal blocks in them are very weak. Chopped fiberglass mixed with plastic ain't in the same league with laminated layers of fiberglass or Kevlar. Like comparing plywood to particle board.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=375703

The Medalist stocks are strong, but heavy. They get all the strength from the aluminum block with chopped fiberglass and plastic poured in a mold around the metal.

Got a couple of rifles in an Edge and one Kimber. If one is better than the other I cannot tell the difference.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Well, in Brads' defense Calvin has uttered an uncharitable thing or two about Brad, but he's minding his manners in this thread and I wish Brad would as well. I've been known to get belligerent in a thread or two on the Fire myself but I do really try to behave in this forum 'cause there are some really great guys here that I look up to.

I'm not minding my manners here at all. Didn't you see me take a shot at Brad for his career in the fast food industry?

It's wide open season on me, and my feelings never get hurt.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Actually seems like a lot of trouble when a Tikka T3 is available, at a lower price. If it has to be a Rem. 700 I guess I can understand that.

forepaw

"Only accurate rifles (that are light enough to be carried by a middle-aged man in rough country) are interesting"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, those bandsaws can be some kind of sneaky buggers in the back country can't they... grin

Seriously, I've never once heard of a problemo with a Ti take off handle anywhere anyplace. Has anyone else ever seen first hand an issue with them?

I mean of course other than when a bandsaw goes berserk in elk camp... cool

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Seriously, I've never once heard of a problemo with a Ti take off handle anywhere anyplace. Has anyone else ever seen first hand an issue with them?

Dober

No real problems with mine but its a range/safe queen so far. The forearm has a LOT more flex than I'd prefer for shooting with a bipod. The MT stock seems quite stiff in comparison. McMillans? Well, the armors that build the M40s at Quantico used one of the old HTG stocks as a shop club for quite a few years before they broke it.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Try this again.

I am not nearly refined in the way of stocks as either of you. I like the MCM in my model 7, the B&c on my browning ti, and whatever came on my Kimber. But not nearly astute enough to say one is WAY better than the other. I guess it's a bit of a blessing really that keeps more coin in my pocket.

What makes one way better than the other for either of you? Educate us less in the know.

Have you guys had a certain stock break in the field or something or the just don't like the way they fit your body?

Personally I have looked at rifle stocks like, boot and pack personal fit is king, but just cause it doesn't fit you doesn't mean its no good overall, but what do I know I have never broken any of my synthetic stocks.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Try this again.

I am not nearly refined in the way of stocks as either of you. I like the MCM in my model 7, the B&c on my browning ti, and whatever came on my Kimber. But not nearly astute enough to say one is WAY better than the other. I guess it's a bit of a blessing really that keeps more coin in my pocket.

What makes one way better than the other for either of you? Educate us less in the know.

Have you guys had a certain stock break in the field or something or the just don't like the way they fit your body?

Personally I have looked at rifle stocks like, boot and pack personal fit is king, but just cause it doesn't fit you doesn't mean its no good overall, but what do I know I have never broken any of my synthetic stocks.

I'm with you, the McM's might be a better stock to some but I've nothing against my B&C Ti stocks. Just got my first McM, so I'm interested to see if animals are any deader when shot with that rifle. Time will tell...

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Try this again.

The biggest issue for me is how the action fits into the stock. McM Edge stocks have proved to be spot on, and a dab of bedding it all that is needed to secure the lug, and produce a very accurate rifle.

Secondly is the hardness of the stock. It takes very little time to trash (scratch/gouge) a Kimber Montana stock or a B&C Stock in the rainforest of SE. Gelcoat is the king of keeping stocks looking ok despite abuse, but not an option on a lwt rig. I've found the McM Edge to hold up extremely well considering it's paint, and not look like dogshit after a few hard hunts.

Thirdly, it comes down to preference. Many options available with the Edge, my favorite being the McM Mtn Rifle pattern. Styles, pads, LOP, etc. Much different than a production stock, off a production rifle.

Just my observations from owning them all, hunting them all, and abusing the crap out of them all. For me, I'll choose a McM Edge stock over all other stocks, for all my hard use hunting rifles. And I have. If Kimber gives you the warm/fuzzy, have at it!

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

I've never had an issue in the field with them, but I've gone through hell with trying to get rifles to group while wearing them, that was instantly cured when dropped in a McM.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the reply Calvin. My wife MCM edge shows a bit of wear after its first season but not as much as my Kimber did (though the Kimber I have had for three years)

I guess I got lucky in that my non MCM rifles are accurate, and I would rather be lucky than good anyways.

Personally I don't mind beauty marks on a rifle stock especially synthetics as they aren't that purdy to begin with, so long as it shoots well and is lightweight I am of the mind that I don't care about a scratch or scrape here n there certainly not enough to say one is head and shoulders better than another. If that were the case we could praise the tikka t3 stocks as the don't mark up as fast as either the MCM edge or Kimber and all tikkas seem to shoot very well.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hmm, to date I've only had 3 or 4 of them (Ti stocks) and to date I've dropped barreled actions in, opened them up as needed and bedded them and have never had any accuracy challenges.

I heartily agree though that the McM handle is a way better piece.

The Montana, isn't on my big list. I find it adequate in feel and I have other reasons I don't like it but will leave it at that.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 52 invisible), 2,706 guests, and 1,361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,217
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.