Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Gus, perhaps a bad batch of bullets. Many years ago I had a batch of 139 g. Hornady that blew up on a 3-point mule deer at 2900 fps + out of my 7x57 (yes that was a stiff load, but I've used it for over 40 years and brass lasts 10+ loads.). After that experience switched to 140 g. Nosler Partitions. Never a failure with them.

Subsequently I've used 140 g. BTs in 7mm and 100 g. 257 BTs with satisfaction and just last year used the 139 Horn. BTSP (same load as many years ago) and it worked just fine.

Suggest using the current batch of BTs for practice and then perhaps try a different lot #. It took me decades to try the 139 Horn. again on an animal so understand your disappointment with the performance.

(My current 270 seems to prefer the 130 Horn SP over the 130 BT so I use the BTs for practice. The 130 Horn. was just fine on a fat antelope doe shot last year.)

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I shot a big sow pig with a 338WinMAg using 200gr BT's a few years ago and none of them made it to the second lung. Blew up shortly after entry. That was the last time I used them on big game, been a TSX, TTSX guy every since. No problems with those, ever, on all manner of game Afircan or otherwise.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Funny that. I shot a big whitetail buck at 200 yards with a 340 weatherby and 200 ballistic tips cruising at over 3250 fps. It killed it but didn't exit on a broadside hit. Wasn't impressed either.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
just shoot them in the head. If it doesnt penetrate it will knock them out long enough to get them with a machete'.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hmmmm.... not sure what to say here myself. BUT....

On most bigger game i do use the Barnes TSX and have not had problems, but I do have a .257 wthby, .270Win, and 7mm that do like the ballistic tips!

As for the .257 and .270.... the animals it has killed with NBT have been exceptional....never failure on antelope and does and makes a mess of them usually and almost always 2 holes. NOW, those are not very big critters, but they are running quite fast!

As for the 7mm.... i use an Nosler Accubond in 160g so its runnging slower (2900) and yep, i think thats the ticket if the critters are bigger.

There is my 2 cents! I am one that loves the BT accuracy, but also knows there a time to switch to a premium bullet (NP, TSX, etc...) as critter size inccreases!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Guys,
many thanks for the feedback. Its really appreciated. I still have a few left and will continue to use them until they are exhausted. After those, a tougher bullet like the Accubond or the Barnes fodder will be looked at

Cheers
Gus

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Gus_K
Didnt believe it till now.

Dont know if it is this current batch or what - but on the weekend got some very poor performance with 130 grain BT's - factory Federal Premium Vital Shok loads for my 270W.
Bullets would hit bone and disintegrate - - too much wounding on the deer i shot without killing it outright. Not on one or two animals - on quiet a few.
Left me scratching my head....and may go over to the TTSX fill time for my two 270's...
Gus

I had similar results. I went back over to Core-Lokts and things have been just fine since then.

"If what I say offends you, you should hear what I don't say."
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Pushing the BT fast in a 270 will cause this exact scenario ALOT. Its a cup and core and it needs to be run slower or kept in the lungs. Swampman, although I love the 700 as you do, the Core lokts will also do the same as a ballistic tip if pushed over 3000 fps. I am not a 270 fan because when I was young I was always chasing my brothers and my dads deer they had shot with there 130 cup and cores. Little did i know it wasnt the cartridge but the bullet. 130 grain at 3050 at 30 yards makes for a possible disaster if that shoulder gets hit. Just a mental thing now for me, although I know there isnt a single thing wrong with the cartridge. I often think about buying a 270 and running a 140 partition just to fix my 270 mental block because I know it would prove to be awesome.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never liked those bullets for close shots at high velocity.

Quit using them 2 yrs after they came out because they fell apart more than not. If I hadn't had a dog, I know I would have lost 2 deer I shot with 'em and did lose several hogs when we had depredation permits on a couple of farms.

These were the earlier BT's, 7mm in 140 gr. They say that they toughened them up since then, but I never used one again for anything other than yotes.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I used BTs on a couple of deer till I hit one quartering away. Broadside through lungs, no problem and great performance. Quartering away left a huge hole in the side and barely penetrated. Deer did drop, but needed to be finished.

Had a similar shot on a deer while using Accubonds. Both blacktails, both around same range, both quartering away. The Accubond broke 7 ribs on the near side, penetrated across the body tearing up a lung, broke two or three ribs (don't recall) on the off side, and came to a stop just under the hide.

Last edited by NWO; 03/13/12.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I try not to judge a bullet on just one bad experience, or even two.

But my son hit a buck with one behind the shoulder a little high (I was watching thru binos) and we never found that deer, I did find a piece of rib bone.

Again, these were the earlier version that had issues. The hogs were a tough call as those shots were made at night with only a spotlight for illumination. Anyone that has done that kind of shooting knows it can be tough.

But the fact remains that when I started using them hunting and hog popping, weird schit started happening.

When I quit using them, the weird stuff stopped.

D
D
Used a 260gr BT on a moose. Messy. 375 Taylor built on a Tikka M695 action. 2825fps. Knicked a rib going in, very colossal hole on the backside. Have since switched to Accubonds. I like shooting the BTs, they shoot really accurate, i just dont like exploding big-game bullets......

J
jcc Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Twice I saw failures on bucks and twice on pigs years ago. .260 and 7 mag.
Running Fusions now and never had a issue.
I loved their accuracy and performance.

jcc

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Horseman
How many animals did you shoot in one weekend? I've had mixed results with bt's myself. But always exceptional accuracy.

We got a few animals, not only deer but other game too. They are very accurate, have to say that.

Gus

Gus, as you know, accuracy isn't everything in the killing fields.....Try some hornady interlocks like I'm always posting pics of and let me know how they do buddy....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Doublewolf
Used a 260gr BT on a moose. Messy. 375 Taylor built on a Tikka M695 action. 2825fps. Knicked a rib going in, very colossal hole on the backside. Have since switched to Accubonds. I like shooting the BTs, they shoot really accurate, i just dont like exploding big-game bullets......

Doublewolf,

WELCOME to 24hrcf!

Cool rifle caliber there, too.

See ya 'round the circle here,

MARK

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used to load the 100gn Ballistic Tip in my Ruger Ultralight .250 Savage with 20" barrel. Velocity was about 2640 fps. At that velocity the bullet would drill through pigs with side on shots when shot behind the shoulder. I once shot two pigs with the one bullet as the Ball Tip went through and hit another pig behind the first one. At those velocities I found the 100 grainer to be hard.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We've used the Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silver Tips in a 7mm08 Rem. on deer and pigs and always have had good results.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I use BTs in 243, 25-06, 260, 6.5x55, 7-08 and 280. Have never had a failure, fragmenting bullet, etc. All have been one shot kills with one exception. That exception was a red stag with the 6.5x55 120gr at a sedate 2719 fps. No excit on that big critter, but made him sick enough to lie down. A second BT to the neck finished him.

Most often have good blood trails to follow if they didn't drop. I have complete confidence in them. Tried some Hornady SSTs this year and did not get the large exits and blood trails that I get with BTs. They did work though. Also tried Accubonds in the 257 Roberts this past season and they worked very well.

I don't run the BTs at excessive speed and I almost always shoot behind the shoulder on deer avoiding bone and lost meat. Pigs get shot in the neck/spine.

Nosler BTs get my vote. Just my experience which is all I can go by.

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the feedback guys.
I have used them for a few years and never had an issue - maybe its a bad batch? Too hard to say.
One fallow I shot was on the lower part of the shoulder - the bullet hit the bone , shattering it but no other damage than that . The deer was down but still alive .
Maybe the BT's need careful placement into the ribcage?? i dont know. I wont be to judgemental on them and will still use the ones I have till finished.

Gus

Without seeing a photo, it is difficult to know the exact shot placement being described, but isn't the lower part of the shoulder the same as the upper part of the leg? From most shot angles, there isn't a direct path to the vitals through the lower shoulder/upper leg. Not knocking on your shooting - there are a lot of things that can happen between the time the final sight picture is established and the bullet strikes the target, some of which can be outside the control of the shooter - but hitting bone in the lower shoulder probably isn't going to be a good shot for any bullet just due to location. Sound like the deer went down just due to a broken leg and possibly some shock from whatever blood vessels in the leg/shoulder were hit, and that might have been the result with any bullet. If the shot had been a little higher (and possibly a little farther back, depending on angle), fragments may have entered the lungs/heart and been the only shot needed.

All that doesn't mean you're happy with the bullet fragmenting on bone, but shot placement can make a lot of difference in our perception of how a bullet performs. Not many bullets are ideal for every shot. The Barnes monometals prefer higher impact velocities (hitting bone is good for them). Ballistic Tips prefer more moderate impact velocities. Berger VLDs give 2 or 3 inches of penetration before obliterating whatever soft tissue is in their path. Nosler Partitions and Accubonds may be the closest to a do everything bullet, but the Partitions aren't as aerodynamic as some other bullets, and some people, including myself, have trouble conceptualizing a bonded bullet with a plastic tip, like the Accubond, being every bit the equal (or at least very close) to the Partition on penetration, even though it very well may be.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
if a Ballistic Tip failed, then it hit the object at higher velocity than the bullets best performance window is in...

such as I have heard the same guys say

1. Ballistic tips in a 300 Weatherby Suck...

2. The best bullet under the sun to hit an elk with at 400 yds is a ballistic tip out of a 300 Weatherby..

I never handload a ballistic tip at over 2800 fps MV.. and more than usual, feel better at 2700 fps MV..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 16Racing, 1234, 160user, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,346
Posts18,526,939
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.