Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by okok
I would like to run into him in a dark alley. wink

I would like to own a few sets of bleachers, just so me and a few friends could watch.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Raeford
Pure BS from B Maher

... is a given.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Who's Dave Miller? Somebody famous?

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Just another thing he does not know about what he speaks.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I haven't watched Maher for any length of time in years. What I do remember of him was that he is just obnoxious. Being obnoxious has nothing to do with being left or right, he's just obnoxious and not funny. I think you'd have to be biased pretty hard left to find the guy funny because taken from an objective viewpoint most of his stuff is pretty uninspired. It's kind of like Ellen Degeneres, it seems like she has a show that launches and tanks about once every six months, then in a few months she's back on in another show and it tanks also repeating the cycle. The talking heads make it out like she's being discriminated against because she's gay when the real reason her shows tank is because she's NOT funny, which is kinda bad for a comedian. If she was actually funny people would watch whether or not she's a lesbian.

Maher is a decidedly third rate comedian who has figured out that since people won't pay to hear his mediocre comedy he needs to spice things up a bit by spewing liberal hatred.

I don't really think Dennis Miller is that funny either, but at least he's not obnoxious.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Well, he's funny to libs. Their point and laugh humor appeals to the clique' mentality. Libs are SOOO superior, they can do that with everybody...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by eh76
Excuse me....a minor correction...Maher is BS

No he is just a POS. I am sure we agree on this point so I won't say excuse me. _ LOL

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hark!

A boob on the tube was just saying that he didn't hold with such language, but wanted to talk generalities based on the first amendment. (Oh, if only they were half as zealous for the second amendment!)

Couldn't bring himself to say "Bill Maher" or "shouldn't've said any of those vile things about women."

I knew before a look confirmed that sho' 'nuff, 'twas a Demonrat.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Any with kin that are dems should take it out on them. They are the ones close by and should be the first to be taken out of the voting cycle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
If Maher could bring any wit to bear on any person or situation, he wouldn't have to rely solely on crude language. Even insults can be witty without filth.

Then there's the greater challenge to wit � being complimentary in a witty way without being saccharine, cloying, or smarmy. Maher could never hope to be thus.

(I set this as a life goal when I was sixteen or so. 'Tain't as easy as being nasty, but it's possible. And it's been a "fun" ride, with both satisfaction and rewards, ever since that first day sixty-five years ago!)

Smarmy's a good word and the one that captures Maher in a nutshell. You hit that one.

The major difference between belief and fact is those who believe something have come to a conclusion no facts will contradict. Well informed people are open to new facts that oppose their beliefs. That also defines an open and closed mind.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just took a quick look back � to times when comedians were witty and funny without having to be crude � and we didn't need dubbed-in laugh tracks to tell us when to laugh. Lying around on the floor listening to 'em on the radio was excellent wit training for kids of all ages. True wit serves both boys and men equally well. It doesn't get moldy or toxic with the passing of time.

� Edgar Bergen
� Fibber McGee and Molly
� Victor Borge
� Judy Canova
� Herb Shriner
� Bob Burns
� Lum 'n' Abner
� George Burns & Gracie Allen
� Fanny Brice
� Red Skelton
� Amos 'n' Andy
� Peter Ustinov ("doing" his mother talking to the queen was high comedy that'd bend a brass monkey over with aching ribs)
� Fred Allen
� Jack Benny
� Jimmy Durante

For a long time now, "comedy" has given me the mental image of a couple of just-weaned boys down behind the hog pen, carving four-letter words into the boards, and giggling "Wouldn't Ma have a fit if she seen this?"

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
About forty, fifty years ago, the Brits set-up outlets for registered addicts to buy their "fixes" � clean stuff at reasonable prices.

But the addicts still went to black-market sources and paid more for sorrier stuff.

The thrill of defying society's opinion of such things was still a major driving force.

Such it is that the more that society comes to tolerate, accept, and approve, the search for the old thrill of defiance continues to push ahead into the offensive, the disgusting, the shocking ("Wouldn't Ma have a fit � ?").

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The problem is that Maher mirrors perfectly the sentiments and actual hatreds of a huge segment of our population who sit smugly like him, and like him worship their own sorry intellect.

And pertinent to what another poster said about Dave Miller, no, I ain't heard him use offensive language either.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll bet you all love Dave Miller

Who?

As to Maher - vile, the end.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Used to enjoy splittin' a gut laughin' at the likes of Carson, Brennan, Cosby, Rickels, Dangerfield, etc (long list of 'em).

Then comedians started to get into "blue" comedy, and my interst dwindeled. Now, it's the exception, rather than the rule, to find a comedian that appeals to my sense of humor.

Sad.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (260madman, 1minute, 2500HD, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 63 invisible), 2,354 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,171
Posts18,503,187
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.