Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

I never like to wait until the last minute to do things. I guess I'm afraid that I will forget. So I just applied for my 2012 Colorado hunting licenses today.

COLORADO
ELK
1st Choice: Ranching for Wildlife that I won't get. So I will have 15 points after the draw. I gave up on unit 201. I'll be dead or so old that I can't hunt, before I draw that tag.
2nd Choice: 3rd season either sex elk tag, which I will get.
August 14th: Buy a leftover Cow Elk Tag
So this year, like previous years, I will get an either sex elk tag, a cow elk tag and another preference point.

DEER
1st Choice: Late Plains Buck Tag, which I won't get. So I'll get another preference point for deer and I will have 2 points after the draw.
2nd Choice: Late Plains Whitetail Only either sex tag, which I might get. There's a 50/50 chance that I can draw that tag as my second choice.
3rd Choice: Late Plains doe tag, which I will get for sure if the first two choices are a bust.

PRONGHORN
First Choice: Buck Tag in a trophy unit. With 9 points I might draw it this year.

MOUNTAIN GOAT
I have 3 + 9 points and that might be enough to draw a tag.

WYOMING
PRONGHORN
I will buy an over the counter buck tag and a doe/fawn tag if I don't draw a pronghorn tag in Colorado.

DEER
I'll buy an over the counter general area nonresident deer tag if I don't draw a Colorado deer tag.

ALASKA
Not this year - I have to wait to gather more air mile points on my credit card so I can fly for free in 2013.

ARIZONA
Coues Deer - I'll apply as part of a group with my friend from Flagstaff.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I'll being doing the ML elk hunt and the 2nd season Either Sex tag in 54.

Bonnie pref point and then a ML doe deer tag out there.

Sho in for Antelope.

I'm giving up on sheep and goat.I too have 3 & 9 for both. I already have nice ram from Pikes Peak ,but a small goat fronmShavano. Let the youngens get them.

I keep putting on for Moose,but figure that is no go also.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by KC

ALASKA
Not this year - I have to wait to gather more air mile points on my credit card so I can fly for free in 2013.

KC

The blackies will appreciate another year to grow! wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by saddlesore

Sho in for Antelope.

I'm giving up on sheep and goat.I too have 3 & 9 for both. I already have nice ram from Pikes Peak ,but a small goat fronmShavano. Let the youngens get them.

Sounds like you have things categorically planned out in a somewhat obsessive way, which is neither good nor bad in this case. The thing is - you're focused. In terms of Arizona whitetails, you'll probably draw a tag if you put in for the right hunt and the right month. Best of luck with that. Let us know how you do.

V
V
I never like to wait until the last minute to do things.

I agree with you!

christian louboutin store offering the modern energy、style and personalized service.christian louboutin pumps
IC B2

KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ironbender

Ouch!

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Vince:

I got a small goat in '05 off of Mount Elbert. It was a special management hunt so I didn't use any points. I was supposed to get a yearling nanny and that's what I got. Hoping to go after one of the big boys while I'm still able.

I got a nice ram in '06 and could start applying again this year. That first tag took 12 years to draw so I figure it's too late to get another one. Yeah, leave them for younger guys.

KC

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Maverick940

Sho in for Antelope.

I'm giving up on sheep and goat.I too have 3 & 9 for both. I already have nice ram from Pikes Peak ,but a small goat from Shavano. Let the youngens get them.

Sounds like you have things categorically planned out in a somewhat obsessive way, which is neither good nor bad in this case. The thing is - you're focused. In terms of Arizona whitetails, you'll probably draw a tag if you put in for the right hunt and the right month. Best of luck with that. Let us know how you do.

I should have been more specific.The deer tag is for Bonnie Resevoir out in eastern Colorado.
At my age I have to plan obsessively. There might not be a next year.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Put in for my private land tag for the first rifle hunt in 23 yesterday. Looking forward to getting back to the west slope!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by KC

ALASKA

KC

LOL!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I apply early just to quit looking endlessly at statistics and calculating out vacation days and potential draw scenarios. Love waiting for draw results starting in late April though. I think the 4 of us have 8 tags total that have draw odds of 15% or less. Calculate that we in total have about a 37% chance of drawing what we would consider a premium tag.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's where I'm at:

Can't really count on a much hunting time this year outside of small jaunts during archery/muz season and the last couple of days of second season, so I'm not doing anything first choice. Also, no 5-7 day pack trips this year.

Anyway:
Archery elk, pick up a leftover cow tag for 2nd season with a deer tag.

2nd season 2nd choice deer plus leftover cow elk ( I know, I know, I hate 2nd season and tell everyone to avoid it, but it's what I'm stuck with this year)

Late season antelope does, plus maybe OTC archery antelope

Sheep, goat, moose points

Wyoming, two doe tags in the draw, we'll see about additional leftovers later. Plus deer, elk and antelope points

Utah deer and elk points, might lay off the anterless elk points this year cause I'd have to buy another license

Nevada, probably won't put in for deer this year the cheap way that I had been for the last 3. Need to start working the points system, so would have to buy the license finally. We'll see on that one.

California, need to keep my points going but don't really want to buy a stupid license this year either.

Girlfriend will be hunting 2nd season in Colorado with me and also in Wyoming. I'm hoping for some extra time off during 4th season, so I want her to put in for a 2nd choice elk tag that she could then swap out for 2nd season OTC bull if necessary.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 56 invisible), 2,621 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,408
Posts18,528,036
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.