Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#6293524 03/15/12
OZULTRA Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Are there any outfitters out there that focus on wolf hunting? If so, where is the best place to go for success? Is baiting allowed? I would love to hunt a big timber wolf from the north country, what kind of prices am I looking at?

GB1

V
V
I think it is baiting allowed.....

christian louboutin store offering the modern energy、style and personalized service.christian louboutin pumps
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
You can do a DYI wolf in N ID or NW pretty cheap. Lots of wolves.

They are starting to become educated after one season of hunting.

Go to BC or Alberta for a guided hunt.

PredAtor calls can be effective.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
NW MT

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Used my Foxpro3 with success in SW Alaska.

NRA Benefactor member
IC B2

OZULTRA Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Are electric callers allowed in Idaho or Montana for wolf hunting? Is there a season or limit?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by OZULTRA
Are electric callers allowed in Idaho or Montana for wolf hunting? Is there a season or limit?

They aren't yet,(Montana) but legislation next year might change that.

I wanted to take a scalp, but the kill was not mine.
68W Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Electronic callers are allowed in Idaho statewide. There is a season:
most units Aug 20-Mar 31
a couple Aug 30-Dec 31
a couple others Aug 30-June 30

A few zones have quotas but most do not have harvest limits. Each hunter may buy 2 tags. IDFG web site mentions that wolves can be taken "incidentally" during fall bear-baiting. I don't know how to truly interpret how much leeway that gives one to bait wolves...not my cup of tea anyhow.

You have to buy a ID hunting license but the tags are cheap! I am quite sure there are outfitters that are in the wolf business in Idaho. Go and get after 'em! I plan on it some time this year, I grew up in Idaho and hope to go back and call in a wolf either this spring when school is out or thanksgiving or winter break this year, if my wife can tolerate it...all three. Good luck.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." Thomas Paine
OZULTRA Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Does anyone know any good outfitters, or just simply some local farmers that want the wolves to stop eating their cattle in the lower 48 that would let me hunt for some wolves?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
or just simply some local farmers that want the wolves to stop eating their cattle in the lower 48 that would let me hunt for some wolves?
Those ranchers..can kill them on sight if they are attacking the livestock.

Turn me loose, set me free, somewhere in the middle of Montana!
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Are there any outfitters out there that focus on wolf hunting? If so, where is the best place to go for success? Is baiting allowed? I would love to hunt a big timber wolf from the north country, what kind of prices am I looking at?

You don't need an outfitter if you know where they are..Wolves are about the most worthy prey I have ever hunted..More of a target of opportunity,than huntable...

Since Idaho started there trapping classes,the Wolves down and dead have gone up dramatically over hunter success.

Jayco

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All you need is snow on the ground and a Helicopter!! A MD-500 would be my helicopter of choice thou some like the R-22's and 44's. And an AR with plenty of ammo.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gmsemel
All you need is snow on the ground and a Helicopter!! A MD-500 would be my helicopter of choice thou some like the R-22's and 44's. And an AR with plenty of ammo.

Neither the states nor the federal Airborne Hunting Act allow for that, though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Maverick940

That depends on who you work for......

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

True. If an agent of the government is in the act of being employed by the government to remove problem wildlife, then the federal law does allow helicopter removal of wildlife species, but of which said wildlife continues to remain in the property of the state where the removal took place. However, there is a clause within the federal law whereas the individual states can incorporate private parties to conduct removal on state lands and any wildlife removed under the auspices of the federal law and its caveats can then become the property of private individuals who performed the removal. That's one of the ways the State of Alaska got around the Airborne Hunting Act in order to conduct its own aerial predator removal program without incurring excessive cost to state government.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Does anyone know any good outfitters, or just simply some local farmers that want the wolves to stop eating their cattle in the lower 48 that would let me hunt for some wolves?

Based upon my experience wolves are highly mobile so you just cannot call up a rancher and ask to come over and shoot a wolf.

If you are truly interested call Fish and Game in MT or ID and get info on general areas where the wolves can be found. Come out and expect to do a lot of driving and hiking to locate them. Difficult animal to hunt because of the size of the country out here.

I know WI just opened a season on wolves. Probably a much higher probability to shoot one there as opposed to ID and MT.

I called wolves in on my fox pro on a moose hunt in BC last year so it does work. Hopefully MT will allow electronic calls.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All you need is snow on the ground and a Helicopter!! A MD-500 would be my helicopter of choice thou some like the R-22's and 44's.

I don't know anyone who actually "likes" Robinsons.

They are cheaper but not near as reliable/desireable as a quality turbine (500, 206. 407 or A-star).

Last edited by oldslowdog; 03/17/12.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

True. If an agent of the government is in the act of being employed by the government to remove problem wildlife, then the federal law does allow helicopter removal of wildlife species, but of which said wildlife continues to remain in the property of the state where the removal took place. However, there is a clause within the federal law whereas the individual states can incorporate private parties to conduct removal on state lands and any wildlife removed under the auspices of the federal law and its caveats can then become the property of private individuals who performed the removal. That's one of the ways the State of Alaska got around the Airborne Hunting Act in order to conduct its own aerial predator removal program without incurring excessive cost to state government.

Laffin'.....I happen to be one of those "agents". And have been for the past 19 years. Keep typing, you're keeping us all in tears. Your Google-fu is five star.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I'm enjoying this....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
He's fixing to edge out Larry Root for the crown.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (257Bob, 270wsmnutt, 160user, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 1_deuce, 60 invisible), 2,519 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,366
Posts18,527,291
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.