Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Anyone else got it? Just today got my Quinn dialed in like no other. I mean anything within 40 yards was in trouble and what do i do tonight but pick up another recurve! Always looking for that perfect bow i guess...

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
And there isn't a thing wrogn with it! Congrats on another bow! I watch pretty close for vintage recurves at garage sales, pawn shops and the like. Picked up quite a few good bows that way.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yea, got the same disease..........there's a new Buffalo in my basement - along with a couple vintage recurves and my standby Excel riser and TT limbs.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have 8 trad bows belonging to me and three more for the wife and girls.I've gone through a few dozen buying and trading.

I am pretty much settled in now.There are no magic bows that make you a great shot but sometimes it takes a while to figure out what you like in a bow.

I have four that I shoot regularly.A Widow PL, A Dalaa, a BBO,and a full blown target bow with 25" Spig riser and Winex limbs.I just change as the mood strikes.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Guilty.

But it's been going awhile. Started when I was in jr. high before compounds were popular. Built my first bow from a blank in HS and have been addicted ever since.

I only have 2 now. One's my dad's old Shakespeare. The other is break down made by a bowyer in Colorado.

I have 2 more longbows I'm making from oak plank for the fun of it. They haven't turned out to be as stout as I was hoping, so just sitting there right now.

Steve

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I do have a few- seven, I think. However, I am currently thinking I have enough. Well, maybe one more... a Pronghorn 3 piece would be nice. Is that an addiction? Hope not.

Really tho, I am trying to be as good a shot as I can possibly be and for me that means shooting one bow - with a back-up.

BTW, the third from the top is my first real hunting bow - a Shakespeare. Birthday gift from my mom and dad in 1965, IIRC
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can't show you mine 'cause they're all over the house. grin Trying to think of all the brands and names makes my head hurt. If it's an addiction, then it's a good one. Better than being addicted to drugs or booze or other wimmens. My wife's not addicted but she does love to shoot and hunt.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Biathlonman
Anyone else got it? Just today got my Quinn dialed in like no other. I mean anything within 40 yards was in trouble and what do i do tonight but pick up another recurve! Always looking for that perfect bow i guess...

[bleep], I better start shooting more wink

Seriously, them new 52# limbs on the Schafer are schooling me. I'm betting I've got just as much money into arrows I've tried than I do the limbs frown and 3D season starts in a month...

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I don't usually shoot like that, was just in the groove. New bow got here today and it gave that eerie sensation of shaking hands with an old friend. Another shooter, but i expected no less from a Brackenbury.

I put 4 fletch and a reflective cap wrap on some 2016s and both bows seem to love them with about 200 up front. Some serious mojo with the four fletch and obsolete aluminum! smile

Summer is officially here, 70s all week and close to 80 yesterday.

Last edited by Biathlonman; 03/15/12.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I only have 7 bows.

yep they seem to love 2016's and 2018's.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Do you have an original Silvertip?

Like an idiot I sold mine 10 years ago

Originally Posted by DanAdair
Originally Posted by Biathlonman

[bleep], I better start shooting more wink

Seriously, them new 52# limbs on the Schafer are schooling me. I'm betting I've got just as much money into arrows I've tried than I do the limbs frown and 3D season starts in a month...

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Addicted here also. Going the trad route has made shooting fun again. I still own a couple of wheelie bows, but my trad count is now at 4. Barta Longbow, Tomahawk Longbow, Bear Kodiak Magnum Recurve, and a Bear Super Kodiak Recurve. I really want to get my hands on a Silvertip in the next year or so, may also get a Shrew.
One of the reasons I got into trad was for the simplicity of it. Aside from nock point and correct arrow spine with your tip weight, there's not much to the technical side. However, the form side of the equation is much, much more important than with compounds.
Ken

Last edited by ken613; 03/15/12.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Addiction to collect, to shoot, or hunt?

Not addicated to collecting my one long bow Toelke XX Whip fills the trad bow need for me. Thought I may get it a twin in a takedown version.

Shooting yes

Hunting Hell yes

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I think it is about time to build yourself a self bow

Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Addiction to collect, to shoot, or hunt?

Not addicated to collecting my one long bow Toelke XX Whip fills the trad bow need for me. Thought I may get it a twin in a takedown version.

Shooting yes

Hunting Hell yes

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
yep, definitely have it

Arcus Venator
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Forgot about this thread... I've shot a couple Brackenburys over the years. They are sweet. Tell me its a takedown laugh I can't bare the thought of taking pictures of you with something sporting an aluminum riser [JFK]

I'm Irish...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ribka
Do you have an original Silvertip?

Like an idiot I sold mine 10 years ago

No... Mine is a Dave bow. I live in the Flathead, and I've shot a ton of both kinds of 'Tips. Truth is, Dave is a better bowyer, and the little tweaks he's made on Paul's design (which he kind of borrowed in the first place) has made them go from a kick ass bow, to one of the serious contenders in todays recurve market.

The particular Silvertip I own has a long history here in the Flathead. It used to belong to a good friend of mine, and stud bowhunter and 3D shooter, James Naldrett. When I'm dead and gone No Doubt will wind up going to my friends only son.

Before No Doubt was my sweetie, I had a Martin Hunter that I hunted with for about 8 years. It now belongs to Deflave from the forums here, and will hunt on in some of my favorite country in Montana. Who knows where that bow will wind up in the end. But it will have its own stories for sure.

That's what makes this traditional thing so cool. Trad bows have names, histories, and stories. They live on. They have soul. It's not an addiction. It's a lifestyle.

I'm Irish...

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It's a takedown. We'll have to see what starts perking in the next month then everything else will get put away for the year.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What I like is shooting the darn things. There are days when I miss the bag. Then there are days when hitting the small spot seems like childs play. Most days are somewhere inbetween, but that big box of trophies gathering dust in the basement, and those heads on the wall tell the bigger story. I actually have better luck with the trad bows than the wheelie bows with sight pins and mechanical release. Success with either puts me on cloud 9.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1moredeer, 160user, 204guy, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,869 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,851
Posts18,496,993
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.