Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Just for fun google Benoit Brothers Tracking School and watch Lanny shoot bean cans out of the air with a 270. Oh and by the way the avg. weight of the deer he has taken in his life is 260 pounds. There dad is in his 80's and still puts 10 to who knows how many miles a day tracking whitetails in some of the toughest country around. From about 8 years old he tracked and killed on the run some very impressive deer. Starting out with a old trapdoor 45/70.Tracking is a way of life in the north east. He!! Remington even put out a special edition rifle with those boys name on it. Was suppose to be a run of 1000 guns to sell for $1000 but pop's pulled the plug after only 170. They sell for over $10,000 IF you can find one. Or google the Bennett brothers in NY and check out the 200 pound plus monsters they have taken. Every single one was either running or sleeping. They practice a lot and there good.

Want To Buy;
Form die for a 7mm Mashburn Super.
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
Bushing die that will work with the 7mm Mashburn Super
A couple Glock 42 380ACP mags
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Tracking is a way of life in the north east

That pretty much sums it up...

I prefer to spend my days eating the rewards after the shot not tracking.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Cocadori

I believe he meant tracking an unwounded deer before the shot.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"Interthem, be nice. Maybe that's as far as she needs to open her mouth."

For Chuck Norris ? He must be hung like my horse. (You ever read about what's in the water in Butte ?)

Hey NSAQAM, Larry is very "IN", LOL
You also dishonor the 28th division by using the unit patch as an insult.
As for the liar, welcher Bricktop, his day is fast approaching.
Coward trolls won't accept PMs.
How's the phantom "campfire" coming ?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Obvious tht we have a few (very few) folks here who hunted Whitetails in the thick stuff where the good bucks go and lay up before dawn.

Having done it more years then most of the would be experts here have walked on earth, I can promise you, no adult Whitetail buck (4+ years) stands up broadside for some yo yo with a 10 pound tactical wanna be rifle to twiddle his knobs, set up his bipod and finally take a shot. Neither do Elk when jumped in the black timber where they like to lay up.

I note there are a few experienced hunters here who know reality and more wannabes who probably could not hit a deer/elk in overdive at 50 yards because their clumsy rifle with some huge scope would be as useful for a snap shot as a 155mm Howitzer.

There are hunters and there are sniper wannabes. Sad to say more and more of the latter.

Amusing all this aversion to shooting an animal going away, they must like tofu better than wild meat.

As for the 5th wheel/camper shell dolt.... I have a very nice lift in my barn that takes the cap off in 10 minutes or less. Have a look "Mr. Expert".

http://www.topcaplift.com/

Most of the time when just my wife and I are riding I take the bumper pull trailer, but when a group is going, there may be 5 or more real trucks pulling multi-horse slant 5th wheels. Wanna tell us about your extensive riding experience in Wyoming.... hmm ?

We have adventures and pictures, you have BS sorta like the fake Negro serial liar.

Probably never been here and never will:

[Linked Image]

Hey NSAQAM, Larry is very "IN", LOL
You also dishonor the 28th division by using the unit patch as an insult.
As for the liar, welcher Bricktop, his day is fast approaching.
Coward trolls won't accept PMs.
How's the phantom "campfire" coming ?
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by interthem
Obvious tht we have a few (very few) folks here who hunted Whitetails in the thick stuff where the good bucks go and lay up before dawn.

Having done it more years then most of the would be experts here have walked on earth, I can promise you, no adult Whitetail buck (4+ years) stands up broadside for some yo yo with a 10 pound tactical wanna be rifle to twiddle his knobs, set up his bipod and finally take a shot. Neither do Elk when jumped in the black timber where they like to lay up.

I note there are a few experienced hunters here who know reality and more wannabes who probably could not hit a deer/elk in overdive at 50 yards because their clumsy rifle with some huge scope would be as useful for a snap shot as a 155mm Howitzer.

There are hunters and there are sniper wannabes. Sad to say more and more of the latter.

Amusing all this aversion to shooting an animal going away, they must like tofu better than wild meat.

As for the 5th wheel/camper shell dolt.... I have a very nice lift in my barn that takes the cap off in 10 minutes or less. Have a look "Mr. Expert".

http://www.topcaplift.com/

Most of the time when just my wife and I are riding I take the bumper pull trailer, but when a group is going, there may be 5 or more real trucks pulling multi-horse slant 5th wheels. Wanna tell us about your extensive riding experience in Wyoming.... hmm ?

We have adventures and pictures, you have BS sorta like the fake Negro serial liar.

[Linked Image]

Growing up back east.. well yeah I hunted Whitetails from WV to NY. sooo. anyway...

lemme see riding in Wyoming...

does it look like this?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/wyowhisper/packtrips/websize/Colter%204-6%20Months%20053.jpg[/img]

[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/wyowhisper/packtrips/websize/Colter%204-6%20Months%20064.jpg[/img]

[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/wyowhisper/packtrips/websize/Colter%204-6%20Months%20011.jpg[/img]

[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/wyowhisper/rides/websize/Grinnel%20003.jpg[/img]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Your spot I'll "never been too..."

Is probably just over the bowl from here...

laffin... you go cowboy...

I still would like to know where that trail head at 11K is...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Cocadori where did you hunt in WV?i grew up in there. And I was referring to tracking healthy deer , one that has no problem leading you on the 15 mile adventure of your life not fallowing a wounded one. By the way how much did you have to pay that outfitter to scout, set up camp, and haul you and all your gear up that mountian? Just wondering

Want To Buy;
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Nestorville would be the closest town. We have a 99 year hunting lease of 4000 acres there.

I packed myself into those hills. Often.

I'd love to see interthem tie a diamond, basket or even a double diamond. Hell a sierra box would impress me from him.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by interthem

there may be 5 or more real trucks pulling multi-horse slant 5th wheels. Wanna tell us about your extensive riding experience in Wyoming.... hmm ?

Crickets from interhem... what not extensive enough? Need more pics?

Just curious.. what is a real truck.

I drive a '06 Dodge 3500 Dually. With a smidge of stuff to um..make more horse power...laffin.

Is that a real truck?

You drive a Dodge right.. green one I think.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great pics Ric.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks.. goes along with your sig line.. ;-)

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Les; FWIW, I shot a nice eight point (eastern) buck that dressed 186 lbs with '06 in 2004 with factory green box 180 gr core lokts at 200 yards down a pole line. He was facing me dead on and wasn't budging in the dwindling day light. The bullet went from breast bone straight to the pelvis and broke it in three pieces. I found the slug just right of the tail almost poking out the hide. One nicely mushroomed chunk of lead and the deer was DRT. A little blood shot meat but it was still meat in the freezer.

Also do share some details on the gun. Stock, finish, and who did the work.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cocadori,
Nice country! I have done most of my hunting a titch north of you, but on foot:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A little lower in elevation than you, but that's one of the reasons I have a love/hate relationship with horses (I would love to have horses/ I hate that I don't!).

Larry,
Being that I am a foot hunter, I found myself hunting the edges and margins where most other foot hunters were too lazy to tread. So some of my shots were far, and a lot were actually quite close.

[Linked Image]
25 yards.

[Linked Image]
70 yards.

[Linked Image]
125 yards. This one was hiding behind a juniper, with only a 12" hole available to make it work.

All three of these were shot with either a Barnes TSX or MRX that were handloaded a smidgeon warmish.

I have also hunted in WI, where it was a bit thickish when hunting whitetails.

But I digress.

So back to the original question of a Barnes 165gr. TSX at 2000 fps...... yeah it will "work", but it wouldn't be the best tool in the shed for that job. Cup and core works a lot better at those "modest" velocities then most would give it credit for. The dread of jacket shucking is more a symptom of marketing then on-game performance.

If you are worried about losing mass and lack of penetration, those 180's will do better than 150's or 165's. A 350# deer won't stop one at 50 paces, but vice versa holds true.

But if the OP is set on going marquee, I would recommend a bonded bullet over a monolithic.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
brinky 72,

180 gr. core lokts are an awesome bullet in the '06. A lot flatter than most would give them credit for, especially for >300 yards.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks.. goes along with your sig line.. ;-)
absolutely.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by brinky72
Les; FWIW, I shot a nice eight point (eastern) buck that dressed 186 lbs with '06 in 2004 with factory green box 180 gr core lokts at 200 yards down a pole line. He was facing me dead on and wasn't budging in the dwindling day light. The bullet went from breast bone straight to the pelvis and broke it in three pieces. I found the slug just right of the tail almost poking out the hide. One nicely mushroomed chunk of lead and the deer was DRT. A little blood shot meat but it was still meat in the freezer.

Also do share some details on the gun. Stock, finish, and who did the work.

Brinky the gun started life as a 1968 Remmy 760 30-06 with 22" bbl. I started by chopping off 4" of barrel. Williams WGRS peep with Skinner post front were installed. Modified Durasight base for TC Encore mounted in front of peep. B&C stock dipped in Mossy Oak Brush then coated with there Maxx Guard coating, it's like the coating that Browning uses. Makes for a better grip. Pachmyer Decellarator pad. Leupold QWR high rings, so the scope clears the peep. Leupold Vari -XIII 1.75-6 short version. GroveTech swivels, and a upside down Montana sling. All accessories plus 2 mags and slide rails coated in Armor Black Cerakote with the receiver and barrel coated in Desert Sand Cerakote. The work was done by a local smith who will never see a gun of mine again. It was so bad that I had to threaten to involve the ATF.

Want To Buy;
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Les7603006
I have a 18" barrel carbine est. MV 2600 with around 2000 at 300 yards. Is this enough to get reliable expansion at 300 yards? Also am I correct estimating 25 fps loss per inch of barrel taken away?

Thanks,
Les
..............A 25 fps per inch loss sounds about right. You very well could get less too. My 300 WSM 16.5" barreled compact averaged 4.3% to 4.5% behind the velocities of two friend`s 24" 300 WSMs I tested. 16.4 to 19.5 fps per inch loss were the results using the same loadings. Those comparisons were between those three particular rifles. Other identical rifles will vary.

I take it that you did not chrony your rifle before the barrel cutdown? Chrony after a cut down, is the best way to determine exactly how much velocity you lost.

Since your cut down was 4", you`d be safe to figure about a 100 fps loss. Regarding bullet expansion, a 100 fps loss from the muzzle with an estimated 100 fps loss upon impact, won`t hardly make any difference where bullet expansion is concerned given a 300 yard impact.

As I do with my compact, you load, treat the same, and hunt with that rifle just as though it had a longer barrel. Whatever your former 22" barrel did on game, that same barrel now an 18" barrel, will also be able to do the same things given the same killing distances.

Go hunt and don`t worry about a shorter than average barrel length.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by UncleJake
Cocadori,
Nice country! I have done most of my hunting a titch north of you, but on foot:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A little lower in elevation than you, but that's one of the reasons I have a love/hate relationship with horses (I would love to have horses/ I hate that I don't!).

Where about's?

Having ponies to use in the hills offers advantages. Having ponies that ride and pack offers additional advantages. One that packs essentials is great, one that packs dead stuff is more greater.. ;-)

They are however not like puppies or kittens and a hell of a lot more expensive to keep. Especially if one keeps em right. Body condition 5, sound and with the correct iron on their feet isn't cheap or effortless.

But soooo worth it come September.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by cast10K

I believe he meant tracking an unwounded deer before the shot.

love to see interthem do that. A vision of Elmer Fudd enters the cranial cavity.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

389 members (10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 204guy, 260Remguy, 222ND, 17CalFan, 50 invisible), 2,519 guests, and 1,151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,533
Posts18,530,989
Members74,038
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.